• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Best/recommended Beethoven 9th Recording?

Share/Bookmark

Best/recommended Beethoven 9th Recording?

The ones I have are Szell's with (of course) Cleveland Symphony 1961 first stereo recording, and Furtwangler's legendary 1942 recording with Berliner Philharmoniker. Karajan has made multiple recordings of 9th with BPO, I'm still deciding on the 1962 or the 1983(digital) recording. What other outstanding recordings do you recommend? (I know Toscanini's somewhere out there...)
    Muss es sein? Es muss sein!
    My music: http://www.soundclick.com/Phenyle
    My artwork and photography: http://modusmusica.deviantart.com/

Re: Best/recommended Beethoven 9th Recording?

Quote Originally Posted by kanazo View Post
    The ones I have are Szell's with (of course) Cleveland Symphony 1961 first stereo recording, and Furtwangler's legendary 1942 recording with Berliner Philharmoniker. Karajan has made multiple recordings of 9th with BPO, I'm still deciding on the 1962 or the 1983(digital) recording. What other outstanding recordings do you recommend? (I know Toscanini's somewhere out there...)
    I have all of Karajan's recordings, and would heartily recommend the 1983 one. I also have Roger Norrington with the London Classical Players - not a legendary interpretation maybe, but I listen to it once in a while for the different feel of period instruments.
    David

I think the '61 Szell is the best, but then again, it's the only one i own, and i'm from cleveland, and i sang Beethoven 9 with the chorus (not in '61), so i'm a little bit biased.

Quote Originally Posted by conwaylemmon View Post
    I think the '61 Szell is the best, but then again, it's the only one i own, and i'm from cleveland, and i sang Beethoven 9 with the chorus (not in '61), so i'm a little bit biased.
    Well if that's the way we're going, you don't want Beethoven's 9th at all. You want Beethoven's Choral Fantasia, for piano, orchestra and choir (which actually was the first draft of the 'Ode to Joy' melody), in the 1990 recording with Sandbach School Choir, the South Cheshire Orchestra and Me.

LOL

Seriously though, it sounds like I might have to go and buy this Szell recording.
    David

you got me. I like the english version too...
    "Joyful Joyful, we adore thee, daughter of elysium..."
    who wants to learn german anyway.
    ach!

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu View Post
    Well if that's the way we're going, you don't want Beethoven's 9th at all. You want Beethoven's Choral Fantasia, for piano, orchestra and choir (which actually was the first draft of the 'Ode to Joy' melody), in the 1990 recording with Sandbach School Choir, the South Cheshire Orchestra and Me.

LOL

Seriously though, it sounds like I might have to go and buy this Szell recording.

Quote Originally Posted by conwaylemmon View Post
    you got me. I like the english version too...
    "Joyful Joyful, we adore thee, daughter of elysium..."
    who wants to learn german anyway.
    ach!
    O Freunde, nicht diese Toene! sondern lasst uns auf englisch singen....
    David

One of may favorites in "Beethoven 9 Symphonies: Orchestre Revolutionnaire et Romantique" by John Eliot Gardiner. What's unique about this recording is that instruments from Beethoven's period were used.

Gary

This one:

http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Symp...5022371&sr=8-4

Karl Böhm with the VPO.

I listened to this when it was first released on vinyl in the early 70s and was really glad to see it reissued on CD. Great sound, great interpretation, and as an added bonus, the timpani are in tune throughout.

So...reviving a dead thread here..

The current collection I have for Beethoven's 9th is:

Abbado with BPO, 1990s
    Bernstein with various member of international orchestras in concert for celebration of Fall of Berlin Wall, 1989 live
    Bernstein with VPO, 1970s?
    Furtwangler with BPO 1942, Bayreuth Fest. Orch. 1951, Philharmonia @ Lucerene Fest. 1954 live
    Karajan with BPO both 1960s and 70s (is the 80s digital recording extremely rare? I have yet to find a copy of the set or the individual recording)
    Klemperer with Philharmonia, 1960s
    Pletnev with RNO 2000s
    Rattle with VPO 2000s live
    Szell with Cleveland Symphony, 1961
    Wand with NDR Symphony 1980s

That amounts to 13 different versions...I probably should get the Toscanini and the period instrument ones too...
    Muss es sein? Es muss sein!
    My music: http://www.soundclick.com/Phenyle
    My artwork and photography: http://modusmusica.deviantart.com/

Quote Originally Posted by kanazo View Post
    ...Szell's with (of course) Cleveland Symphony 1961...
    Wow, that takes me back! That was the first classical recording I fell in love with!

(Crap, I'm old...)
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Go Back to forum