• Register
  • Help

Topic: 8 MIDI Ports Suggestion

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs up 8 MIDI Ports Suggestion

I have a request that pertains to the Few,..The Brave...The Live Performers.

I am using 8 ports, and have different gig's, gsi's, VSTi's, and GVI's loaded across 7 of the 8 ports ( 2 through 8 ) so I can mute/unmute the ports on the status bar, which allows me to have different instruments, from similar categories. I.E. I personally would never need a Rhodes and a Wurlitzer sample in the same performance, hence the same MIDI channel, but different port. Same with Black Grand, Steinway, and Clinton Uprights. Melotron, ARP String Ensemble, custom WAVE Oscillator samples from Kyma and Scope, etc.

In Gigastudio I have to disable a port w/ a mouse click, then enable another port w/ yet another mouse click.

I sure could use a solution allowing a MIDI CC # to have for each port as a mute / solo. In a perfect world this great 8 port matrix would have MIDI CC's attached to it. This could also be an excellent way to have automation w/ a sequencer also.

I have always used Gigastudio live as it has a hassle free GUI. Kontackt, Halion and others are not well suited for live work. Unless you're allowed to stare at your DAW, loading all night when you should be performing. At my gigs those DAWg's don't hunt. That's why I use Gigastudio, and now that it hosts my VSTi's, well most of 'em, I can never fathom using anything else.

But this little MIDI CC request could be beneficial when recording also, a program change message, or inserted MIDI CC could automate the layering of several samples, then unlayer them for even more dynamics.

Oh well, just a wish / dream, I hope comes true.
    JimmyV

Re: 8 MIDI Ports Suggestion

Hi jimmy,
    Until they fill your request ...... and assuming I understand what you mean.
    I have had to figure out easy work arounds for some of my gear, and I have used a small macro app called EZ macros to sort it out.
    For instance, GS4 at present doesn't remember cc controllers for midi automation in the performance.
    i now have a single key to hit after starting GS4 which will install all the required CCs. You could easily accomplish the same for your Midi outs.
    For example "cntrl- alt 1" for output 1 and numerically through to 8. Up to you what keys you use. (assuming you have a keyboard on stage)
    Not sure if this is what you mean, but this stuff works really well and fast for me.
    cheers
    Bryan H

PS,.....
    I use the NFX chorus for my rhodes, which from time to time goes nuts, (same problem in GS3 and GS4) sort of a buzzing sound along with any notes played. I found the only way to stop it was to advance 1 patch of the chorus, and the return to the original. This happens in a few mili seconds, after pressing one dedicated key. This can happen once or twice a night, and nobody ever notices....
    Also I want to replace that chorus with your "Fluid" version when it becomes a vst, so please let me know when that happens. So anyway, macros do work for me.
    Equipment Hardware:
    Sager laptop (Clevo)
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1
    Intel Core Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40 GHZ 8.00 GB Ram
    2 x SSD drives 120 & 128 GB
    ST9160823AS 150GB 7200 rpm
    RME Fireface 800
    Software:
    Gigastudio 4
    Native Instruments B4 VSTi Bridged "Jbridge"
    Dosbox 0.74 running "Texture" sequencer.

Hi,
    Just had another look, and I notice that you can change outports as "Alt 1"
    through 8 anyway, you could macro that to F1 through 8 as single key for activation. Failing all that get a small usb numeric keypad and macro that.
    cheers
    bryan H
    Equipment Hardware:
    Sager laptop (Clevo)
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1
    Intel Core Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40 GHZ 8.00 GB Ram
    2 x SSD drives 120 & 128 GB
    ST9160823AS 150GB 7200 rpm
    RME Fireface 800
    Software:
    Gigastudio 4
    Native Instruments B4 VSTi Bridged "Jbridge"
    Dosbox 0.74 running "Texture" sequencer.

Guys,

Assuming the fix for the automation problem is on the way, the best method I can think of is this:

Create a group or aux send for each port's worth of instruments, and automate their output/return volumes. Ths would, of course eat up the same voices as if all instruments were audible, but if your machine can do it, then you have your switches for the ports.

Again, this solution rides on the automation fix.

Belbin

Great suggestions guys, thanks.

I am racking up a new case that has the keys and mouse pad on the chassis next to the LCD, which is better than having to pull out my 1U drawer while performing. The RMS-7855 is the one I purchased. Glad to see you are gigging live Brotha' Man Bryan. That Fluid DSP effect is just awesome, I will let you know when it's available in VST. Here's a crappy mp3 using it on dry tracks as a mastering effect.

http://www.planetz.com/forums/download.php?id=3287

http://www.bsicomputer.com/new/lcd_w...tion_index.htm

And Mark,
    Your idea is ingenius, I shall try it now. I'm afraid that using 37 loaded instruments might make it gag. But I do have my content spanned across 3 x Raptors so that the Strings, Horns, and Piano libraries can be accessed more efficiently. Maybe 8GB's & XP64 would allow this.

2 Great Ideas That I Shall Try,

Thanks,
    JimmyV

Brotha' Man Bryan,

Check out the BSI 8U link above.

Notice the QWERTY's placement. Your idea is excellent and I have downloaded the em51 macros to try out. I suppose it is a demo that will delete itself in due time. But I downloaded the manual, and it is corrupted, at least from the ftp. server, and the pdf. download page is 404'd.

Do you have a pdf you could email me? If so please pm me so I could check this baby out.

Sounds like it would solve alot of other little PITA's I have with GS4.

Please pm me for my email address.

Really great having another live cat to chat with. We have to keep sharing ideas and keep the Tascam guys busy, or they will surely continue keeping the recording aspects on the front burner.
    JimmyV

Go Back to forum