• Register
  • Help

Topic: Breath controller in Expression Pedal input?

Share/Bookmark

Breath controller in Expression Pedal input?

Hello,

I'm interested in getting a breath controller like the BC-3, because of The Trumpet and Bela D Media's Anthology. I can't get the fine amount of control I want using the pedal or mod wheel.

Can I use the expression or damper pedal input on my keyboard controller to convert the breath controller data into midi? Or are the voltages for this completely different than a pedal outputs? (i could easily convert the Midi CC's once the data is in the computer)

Re: Breath controller in Expression Pedal input?

I don't really know, but I'm guessing they're not compatible, because my keyboard (CME UF8) was touted as being unique, amongst budget-end models, for having its own breath controller input. Most keyboards have expression pedal inputs, so if the two were interchangeable it would probably have been less of a selling point.

Hope I'm wrong though...Anyone?
    David

Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, LinuxSampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland JX-10, 4GB RAM Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2160 @ 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux 64 bit

dahnielson, thanks for the links.. but I'm still not sure what voltages an expression or damper pedal input accepts, and can't find that out on the net so far as I've searched.

Has anyone tried doing this, or has a breath controller?

Surely the breath controller outputs midi, if not what does it output? There must be some simple solution or the controller would have no use.
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

It's made of two parts: The headset with the piece you put into your mouth (which produce the voltage) and the interface you plug it into. For the latter there's the CME UF8 master keyboard with a built-in interface and the MIDI Solutions stand-alone box. If you're a DIY kinda guy then it might be possible to build your own interface using the modules at http://www.ucapps.de.
    Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, LinuxSampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland JX-10, 4GB RAM Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2160 @ 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux 64 bit

Quote Originally Posted by buckshead View Post
    Surely the breath controller outputs midi, if not what does it output? There must be some simple solution or the controller would have no use.
    I see that dahnielson already mentioned the MIDI Solutions box. Here is a link to that: http://www.midisolutions.com/prodbth.htm

The BC3 is not compatible with a typical pedal input found on keyboards since it needs certain voltages on it's tip/ring/sleeve connector to power the electronics in it. Your average CV pedal is nothing more than a potentiometer that varies the voltage the keyboard sends through it. So they are different.

I myself have a Yamaha VL-70m physical modeling module which has a BC3 connector on it, so I can use that as my BC3 to MIDI interface. I just insert it into my MIDI chain and it will add breath controller data to what ever it going into and coming out of the VL MIDI ports.

You can also try this one:
    http://www.doepfer.de/we.htm

just 40 Euros. All you need to add for connecting a breath controller is an additional resistor (costs just a few cents). Of course some soldering expertise is required for that.

Cheers,
    Timo

There's also the Anatek WindMachine. Specifically designed for the BC1/2/3.

Anatek doesn't exist anymore, but 2nd hand units do appear on ebay. It's smaller than the Midi Solutions box and has micro switches to select MIDI channel and MIIDI Controller assignment (breath ctrl, aftertouch, foot ctrl, pan, pitch bend, modulation, volume or expression). Also has MIDI merge facilities.

Go Back to forum