• Register
  • Help

Topic: Musicians and Fingernail Filing Patents

Share/Bookmark

Musicians and Fingernail Filing Patents

Fingernail-Related Patent

U.S. Patent 3,525,284 (August 25, 1970): METHOD AND APPARATUS FOR FILING FINGERNAILS OF GUITARISTS, BANJO PLAYERS.
    An abrading device comprises a flat sheet of abrasive material such as sandpaper, affixed to a backing support member having opposite edges folded over to form grasping means. The abrading device is placed over the strings of an instrument such as guitar. The musician simulates his playing of the instrument, instead of plucking the strings, running his fingernails over the surface of the abrasive material thereby filing the fingernails.
    In subsequent actual playing, the edges of the fingernails are thus file do that they are substantially parallel to the strings when such strings are plucked, thereby assuring optimum plucking action.

I wonder if we can get a patent for fingernail filing for the harp. Better yet - for keyboard players who play software instruments. We can include a nail file with every copy of GPO!

And musicians, be careful! Filing your fingernails a certain way may lead to patent infringement!

Re: Musicians and Fingernail Filing Patents

I always used to file my lips before playing the horn. Maybe that's why I don't play anymore.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

I've played classical guitar since I was 14. I'm now 58. You have no idea how fanatical CG players are about their nails; and tone, and nuance and perfect timing. To the extent that sometimes the music just doesnt breath.

Quote Originally Posted by carulli View Post
    I've played classical guitar since I was 14. I'm now 58. You have no idea how fanatical CG players are about their nails; and tone, and nuance and perfect timing. To the extent that sometimes the music just doesnt breath.
    I resort to false nails sometimes.

Lightbulb Re: Musicians and Fingernail Filing Patents

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan View Post
    Fingernail-Related Patent

U.S. Patent 3,525,284 (August 25, 1970): METHOD AND APPARATUS FOR FILING FINGERNAILS OF GUITARISTS, BANJO PLAYERS.
    An abrading device comprises a flat sheet of abrasive material such as sandpaper, affixed to a backing support member having opposite edges folded over to form grasping means. The abrading device is placed over the strings of an instrument such as guitar. The musician simulates his playing of the instrument, instead of plucking the strings, running his fingernails over the surface of the abrasive material thereby filing the fingernails.
    In subsequent actual playing, the edges of the fingernails are thus file do that they are substantially parallel to the strings when such strings are plucked, thereby assuring optimum plucking action.

I wonder if we can get a patent for fingernail filing for the harp. Better yet - for keyboard players who play software instruments. We can include a nail file with every copy of GPO!

And musicians, be careful! Filing your fingernails a certain way may lead to patent infringement!
    Don't have to worry about infringing this particular patent: it expired decades ago. As for filing for harp, it depends on how creative and non-obvious your method is...
    ==============================
    Grant Green ||| www.contrabass.com
    Sarrusophones and other seismic devices

Go Back to forum