• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Chabrier - Espana for Saxophone Quartet using CMB

Share/Bookmark

Chabrier - Espana for Saxophone Quartet using CMB

Emmanual Chabrier created a piano reduction of his well known, and highly energectic work "Espana". In an effort to create a very exciting and challanging arrangement for my Washington Saxophone Quartet (www.wsaxq.com) friends, I decided to give it a try after I ran across the Chabrier reduction online. The effort was considerable to work through the difficulties of simplifying in some places and putting the keyboard fireworks into the playable context of the saxophone quartet. Even for professionals this is a plenty scarey work to perform.
    The work is produced using Finale 2006 and the SATB saxophones of the CMB library;

www.garybricault.com/mp3/ChabrierEspanaSaxQuartet.mp3

Enjoy!!

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Re: Chabrier - Espana for Saxophone Quartet using CMB

Hi Gary,
    A nice sound.
    Having done transcriptions, I realize how complicated the breathing problem can be. To me, the breathing and the dynamics would be the real challenge-assuming the pearls on the keys don't ignite at the fast pace.
    Scarey might be an understatement.
    By the way, I'll be in your neck of the woods(compared to TX) in Vermont next week attending the Jazz Camp at Killington.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by garymosse View Post
    Hi Gary,
    A nice sound.
    Having done transcriptions, I realize how complicated the breathing problem can be. To me, the breathing and the dynamics would be the real challenge-assuming the pearls on the keys don't ignite at the fast pace.
    Scarey might be an understatement.
    Part of the trick in transcribing a monster like this to tradeoff to get even a little dead time for each player. Plus the piano does a lot of things that the winds just can't so. Lucky the saxes are pretty fluid and don't have the problems as bad with intervals that brass player would. This is definately not for the faint of heart.

Quote Originally Posted by garymosse View Post
    By the way, I'll be in your neck of the woods(compared to TX) in Vermont next week attending the Jazz Camp at Killington.
    Gary
    Yes Killington is closer although at the other end of the state. Have fun there.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Gary

When I sit down and play piano or guitar, I can play much longer than 5- 7 measures without having to regenerize my fingers. In fact, I can play without stopping for a much longer time than that.

These wind blowers are so lazy thinking that they always need to breathe.

Breathing is so overrated.

Whenever I compose, I always have to keep in mind these Prima Donna's
    requirements.

As always, you bring new life to old classics.

Well done

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer View Post
    Gary

When I sit down and play piano or guitar, I can play much longer than 5- 7 measures without having to regenerize my fingers. In fact, I can play without stopping for a much longer time than that.

These wind blowers are so lazy thinking that they always need to breathe.

Breathing is so overrated.

Whenever I compose, I always have to keep in mind these Prima Donna's
    requirements.

As always, you bring new life to old classics.

Well done

Ron
    Ron,

You are too funny. I can't wait for the fallout on this one!!!! But I am glad that you enjoyed it.

This piece was exceptionally challanging, not only for breathing but the tradeoffs of voices for range and converting certain type of piano writing to wind playable equivalents.

Gary

A whirlwind blew by me whilst listening. I think it was every
    sax player on the planet rushing to their secret hide-out in
    Moldavia... lol.

Seriously, in the hands of good, strong players, I think this
    would be quite doable, Gary. Post-performance oxygen and
    finger massage notwithstanding, Ibert and others have
    popped some material at them that I don't believe is any
    less difficult than this...

Fine adaptation -- and a real challenge, certainly!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux View Post
    A whirlwind blew by me whilst listening. I think it was every
    sax player on the planet rushing to their secret hide-out in
    Moldavia... lol.

Seriously, in the hands of good, strong players, I think this
    would be quite doable, Gary. Post-performance oxygen and
    finger massage notwithstanding, Ibert and others have
    popped some material at them that I don't believe is any
    less difficult than this...

Fine adaptation -- and a real challenge, certainly!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    David,

I heard a similar rustling of leaves when I first proposed the idea. I think that the insertion of an oxygen tube directly into the lungs will help with a general lack of breathing. Also, water cooling the keys will cut down on burns during some of the passages. But I am glad that you enjoyed it. And there is more to come!

Gary

www.garybricault.com

A real enjoyable arrangement. As far as breath endurance is concerned, wind players as well as vocalists need to stay active and give their lungs a work out with activities such as swimming or brisk walking.

I've run into a breath control problem recently with choral music that required holding a long pp at the upper range. Luckily we had a well trained anchor in the baritone-bass section that can handle it while one takes a few gulps of air or just taking turns if there are enough of you. The sax players challenges will be different with no easy way to accomplish the task.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    A real enjoyable arrangement. As far as breath endurance is concerned, wind players as well as vocalists need to stay active and give their lungs a work out with activities such as swimming or brisk walking.

I've run into a breath control problem recently with choral music that required holding a long pp at the upper range. Luckily we had a well trained anchor in the baritone-bass section that can handle it while one takes a few gulps of air or just taking turns if there are enough of you. The sax players challenges will be different with no easy way to accomplish the task.

Phil
    Phil,

Glad you liked the piece. Yes finding ways to trade off or give a break, even a short on, is very difficult as there is so much going on and everything needs to be covered given the voicing of the work.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Hi Gary,

This is a very effective arrangement, and a welcome addition to the saxophone quartet repertoire, although as indicated above, very challenging. However, I'm sure its availability would be very much appreciated, as this is a very popular piece. It was wise of you to base it on the piano version.

A very minor quibble with the rendering, I felt that the subito pp near the beginning was a bit too soft, and, possibly not really realistic for the saxophones.

Best Regards,

Jack

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast