• Register
  • Help

Topic: PMI Bosendorfer 290 - pp samples

Share/Bookmark

PMI Bosendorfer 290 - pp samples

Hi guys. Long time no post.

I'm still on my long search to find a piano sample that responds well to PP playing. Some of you may remember that my biggest gripe with sampled pianos is that when you play really softly, many piano sample collections produce sounds that simply sound like their higher velocity samples are being played at a lower level. You don't get that dark soft sound that you do when playing quietly on a real grand. The two exceptions I've found to this so far are the Ivory Steinway which has a nice softer register but seems a bit noisy at lower velocities and the Steinberg Grand. I didn't think this latter library had a particularly brilliant sound but it did respond really really nicely to dynamic playing....

So...to the most recent;

have just bought PMI bose 290 in the fantastic summer deal at sampletekk. However, apart from one dark patch, I seem to be facing the same problem. The dark patch is great (it just uses an LPF) but then it doesn't open up when you give it some more welly.

Does anyone have a solution to this? I'm using Kontakt 2 and was wondering if there is a way to program an LPF that varies with velocity? Might sound a bit unnatural though. Or maybe I could just select the PP vel samples and apply an LPF to them?

If not, does anyone have any suggestions for an alternative library?

Many thanks

Matthew

Re: PMI Bosendorfer 290 - pp samples

"You *do* know what a divisi part is, don't you?"

Quote Originally Posted by mozart999uk View Post
    Does anyone have a solution to this? I'm using Kontakt 2 and was wondering if there is a way to program an LPF that varies with velocity?

Back in the stone age (about four years ago) I was using KOMPAKT. It had a knob to adjust LPF which varies with velocity (no need for programming). More LPF was applied to lower velocities and less and less LPF as you go up the velocity scale. It's a pity that KOMPAKT has been discontinued. I tried looking for this function in Kontakt but can't seem to find it. I know it's in there somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by mozart999uk View Post
    If not, does anyone have any suggestions for an alternative library?
    Listening to demoes of Quantum Leap Pianos (particularly the Bosendorfer), I think this is just what you may be looking for. The pp layers are very dark, opening up to a very bright ff layer. You can go to YouTube and search for "stocksam". He's posted a lot of clips there using the QL Bosendorfer. Just be sure to append the string "&fmt=18" to the URL to get a decent stereo sound.

Ironically, the excessive difference in tone going from pp to ff was what made me think that it was a bit unnatural. But it may be just what you're looking for.

Art Vista's Malmsjö is probably the best mellow piano I've heard.
    Our TBO and 7CG do have loads of velocitysamples, (31 PU, 31 PD and 31 Rel), so it goes down very low in velocity, but a C7 is a rather bright piano. I guess it depends on your preferences of "mellow". If you want, you can send me a MIDI file to per@sampletekk.com, and I can make some demos from our pianos, played the way you want.
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Thanks guys for all your comments and suggestions.

I'll check all these out.

Thanks Worra for your offer. I may take you up on that. :-)

Go Back to forum