• Register
  • Help

Topic: The new Garritan Steinway for a Beginner of Pianoplaying....

Share/Bookmark

The new Garritan Steinway for a Beginner of Pianoplaying....

Hallo,

i´m a Beginner of playing piano , 44 years old. I loving the sound of a real piano since my childhood...but nevertheless i started to learn to play piano....with 40 years i started with Keyboard and the first Pianosamples i found in the Internet.

Across 20 MB samples i started , i found the MilanDigitalAudio Steinway with 6GB.....and this was the point i started to believe, that a sampled Piano can give the impression and more and more the inspiration of a real accoustic instrument...i hated the synthetic sounds of the Digipianos in the 80´s and 90´s.....

Very hard to learn without teacher i started - and have fun , because the feeling and realistic sound of the MilanDigitalAudio sampler - also for a beginner of pianoplaying - gives me much more motivation than on this older synthetic sounds of the first generations of Digipianos or the first small Samplers with 20-80 Mbyte.

After this i tried the Artvista GrandPiano....very nice sounding - but hard to play live....and the bass-notes are tooo weak...but nevertheless a gigantic sound..

Very nice - and very impressive and also very playable: The Ivory from Synthogy - at the moment one of my favorites.

Also very interesting - especially in future: The Pianoteq , because the 256 life-calculated Velocity´s and the sympathetic resonaces.

Ok - now comes the "Dream" of a lot of Sampler-piano-players: The Garritan Steinway made together with this great company STEINWAY together.

The Sound:
    Nice, warm, "woody" - i like it very well - on the side of Artvista GrandPiano, SampleTekks BlackGrand and the Ivory the new Garritan Steinway i would prefer....but.....

The Demos:
    The same problem like a lot of other Samplers . The Demo´s sounding very impressive -but in real , live playing it´s often very difficult to play similiar impressive and dynamically . The IVORY in this case is very easily to adapt, and live-playing is not very far away from the impressions of the Demos. Also the Pianoteq is good to adapt on the own Keyboard. And the Garritan Steinway?? Ok - i started to play.....i heard very low sound....and have to increase very high my Loudness on my reciever. In the software than i found the knobs for the Tone - and i have to increase to 15-20 Dezibel plus....why???

The next problem: The velocity....or it is too hard, and a very soft tone i would have to play with a feather, or it is too soft, and the sound generally is difficault to play loud and impressive - is sounds like a tooo weak piano.....this some peoples just postet here...they thinking in some Demos the Garritan would be tooo weak

Playability:
    Hmm - ok, i´m not a good pianoplayer) Unfortunatly i learning very slow - perhapy, because i´m autodidact...without a teacher.
    BUT - nevertheless....also for me as a Beginner: If the instrument i play, have the possibilties of a wide range of Dynamik, i can play from the ppp to the FF, and the Tone would have enough PUNCH , but on the same time i can play soft - this gives me the Fun and the Inspiration to play on a piano.
    To adjust the velocity-curves is made tooo simple!! If you increase the linear velocity curve only one level higher....you can not touch your keyboard in a way, to hear nothing....the first velocity-level is just to loud - try it.
    Only of you have a expensive and good Keyboard, you could adjust your Velocitycurves on your Keyboard...but the most peoples don´t have such high-quality Keyboards, and in my opinion is it a very essential point , to implement in such a good Samplersoftware also a much more flexible possibility of adjusting the velocitycurves than it is done by the Garritan Steinway.
    For the good Ariaplayer, the very good basicsamples this is for me a unforgiveable missing item.
    So a lot of users will have problems to get a impressive experience to play this piano and will be a little bit dissapointed , and they will undervalue the potencial of this very nice sounding Steinway Software Sampler.

I found my own solution. My solution i can play live, with a Dual-core Intel , a normal Drive (5400 Turns) , Win XP and 3 GB Ram.
    Before i get problems with my memory, i have to play minimum 1 Hour - often 2 Hour´s, than my memory is "full" and the software begins to loose tones or producing "klicks" by streaming the missing notes. Than i reload the software - and can play again ) ATTENTION: This is only with MY solution!!! With the Garritan Steinway alone, there is no Problem, it works very very well . I write this , not that some peoples misunderstanding me - and would think there is a problem with the Garritan...NO,its working very fine.

I recorded a nice existing (NOT i´m played!!) midifile, one time you hear the pure Garritan STeinway played in cubase.
    The second file is the same Midi played with my Solution, this sound, Dynamik and "Punch" in the louder parts i enjoy soo much....ohh.....))
    BUT i have to say: without the new Garritan Steinway i woudn´t have this possibility of creating my own solution of a live-playing Software piano, and so i´m very very happy about this new Steinway sampler))

Here the files if you like to hear:

First the Original Garritan Steinway:http://home.arcor.de/rob.muc/PianoSa...20Steinway.mp3

Second is the changed and mixed simultniously Version, my playable Version:http://home.arcor.de/rob.muc/PianoSa...tan%20Plus.mp3

Enjoy it - and Greetings to all other happy Garritan Steinway users - waiting on a update with better Velocity adjustment)

Your Rob aus Muc - robmuc

Re: The new Garritan Steinway for a Beginner of Pianoplaying....

Rob:

Very nice piano playing for someone that is not
    professionally taught. You have captured some
    very nice sounds from the new Steinway.

It is very apparent that your practicing is paying off.
    Please keep at it and send us some more of your
    Steinway playing.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Rob, you are a beginner and you are tackling the Chopin B flat minor sonata!!! This is a piece many many players would baulk at, but you are getting some good results at this early stage, so this is an achievement indeed. Okay, the piece needs to be more driven, but you are right to take it at a more cautious pace, especially in the learning stage.
    You are getting some nice clear textures in the extract you recorded. I look forward to hearing further pieces from you - so keep the practice up!
    And welcome to the forum!

Ooh.....you are misunderstanding my text..)) - i´m very interested on the sound -and Tricks to improve it .....for that i recorded a midi-file....this midi file not! i´m played......))

I would be very happy if i could play like this - but don´t can..))

I´m more interestet: Can you hear all the differences between the "pure-original Garritan Steinway" and my changed/mixed Sound. I can play the sound of my solution live....only for hearing the differences i recorded an existing midi-file.

robmuc

Hi, Rob!

I'm interested what your "solution" is. How did you do it? Would you care to explain it?

Quote Originally Posted by robmuc05 View Post
    Ooh.....you are misunderstanding my text..)) - i´m very interested on the sound -and Tricks to improve it .....for that i recorded a midi-file....this midi file not! i´m played......))

I´m more interestet: Can you hear all the differences between the "pure-original Garritan Steinway" and my changed/mixed Sound.

robmuc
    I thought at first it might be an existing midi file you are working with, but the rather cautious tempo suggested that you might be trying it out on the piano in the process of learning. For some reason I can't access the 2 files at present, the server response has slowed so much -so I can't compare both samples. From what I remember yesterday the piano sound you are getting is good tonally. So the challenge from the musical point of view is to get tackle the interpretation of the piece - tempo , dynamics etc. Keep us posted with your progress.

Gosh, sorry, I was unable to listen to this.

I think perhaps you've expended your bandwidth welcome
    at your host... lol... as it goes to a blank page at:

http://home.arcor.de/rob.muc/.suspend.txt

I'll try back later!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

OH - here i was in the wrong thread...and so in changed now to "GArritan Libraries/Authorizies Steinway Discussion"
    ( http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...play.php?f=111 )

If you go to this site, you will find the same text with new answers. For hearing my Files: Please download it ( right Mousbutton ) if like to hear more often - becaus by Bandwith is limited. At the moment it´s possible for downloading - becaus i bought again 2GB more Trafficspace.

Greetings to all
    robmuc

Go Back to forum