• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Topic: A Little Night Music

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    A Little Night Music

    Well, if you are ready for some nightmares, give this piece (first 2 of a four movement work for piano) a listen. It uses only the steinway in the GPO library.

    This comes from my "Sturm und Drang" period.

    A Little Night Music mm I and mm II

    Movement III

    Movement IV

    comments are always welcomed.

    We dream to write and we write to dream!
    Last edited by wrayer; 07-08-2008 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Adding remaining files
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

    Challenge #10 Winner

  2. #2

    Cool Re: A Little Night Music

    Quote Originally Posted by wrayer View Post
    Well, if you are ready for some nightmares, give this piece (first 2 of a four movement work for piano) a listen. It uses only the steinway in the GPO library.

    This comes from my "Sturm und Drang" period.

    A Little Night Music mm I and mm II

    comments are always welcomed.

    We dream to write and we write to dream!
    Thanks for this late night Sturming intermezzo, Bill! Sometimes I thought I was watching Hitchcock's "Vertigo"!

    Fred

  3. #3

    Re: A Little Night Music

    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post
    Thanks for this late night Sturming intermezzo, Bill! Sometimes I thought I was watching Hitchcock's "Vertigo"!

    Fred
    Thanks Fred. Didn't mean to scare you, but it is part of my thesis study from my masters degree. Minimal notes and aleatoric development. It certainly implies that mood ('Vertigo').

    Thanks for listening.
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

    Challenge #10 Winner

  4. #4

    Re: A Little Night Music

    In the first post I have added the remaining two movements. This is the complete A Little Night Music in the first post. Please, no nightmares.
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

    Challenge #10 Winner

  5. #5

    Re: A Little Night Music

    Bill

    This could be used easily in any number of horror/suspense movies. The Piano does seem to be quite a distance away and just as a thought, it might be neat to walk towards it as the music is playing, and then perhaps a variation of where the piano is as the movements continue. Maybe some hard panning and some large variations in the reverb.

    Just a thought, it sounds good as is.

    Well done

    Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

    http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

  6. #6

    Re: A Little Night Music

    Bill,

    Creepy, man! I think you do "Sturm und Drang" really well (which means you are at least a little bit disturbed; an admirable quality in my book! ).

    You also handled the rendering just right; great use of varying velocities, reverb, et al. A little different from you, and definitely impressive... Thanks for posting!

    Danny

  7. #7

    Re: A Little Night Music

    Quote Originally Posted by DDW View Post
    Bill,

    Creepy, man! I think you do "Sturm und Drang" really well (which means you are at least a little bit disturbed; an admirable quality in my book! ).

    You also handled the rendering just right; great use of varying velocities, reverb, et al. A little different from you, and definitely impressive... Thanks for posting!

    Danny
    Thanks Dan, I decided to go through my library of works that I did in the past and realize them with all these new tools available. It really is uncanny how 'life-like' they can become!. This piece was deemed too difficult to play. So now, I just give it off the the machine world.

    Thanks for listening - even if it was a difficult listen.

    Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

    Challenge #10 Winner

  8. #8
    Senior Member sosmus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    Posts
    667

    Thumbs up Re: A Little Night Music

    Rod Serling meets Schoenberg and Webern. You got a great deal of maniacal mood music out of that one piano. With your skills at pedaling, you should be in the Tour d'France. What fun you must have had working on this.

    Steve

  9. #9

    Thumbs up Re: A Little Night Music

    Is this all possible on a piano? WOW!! I'm impressed! Thanks for sharing
    ================================
    = Bluegrass, Irish, Old-Time, Texas-Style =
    ================================
    -> http://www.bluegrassmidisound.eu <-

  10. #10

    Re: A Little Night Music

    Quote Originally Posted by sosmus View Post
    Rod Serling meets Schoenberg and Webern. You got a great deal of maniacal mood music out of that one piano. With your skills at pedaling, you should be in the Tour d'France. What fun you must have had working on this.

    Steve
    Thanks, Steve. Yes, much use of the pedal creates the harmonics that are audible. It is a fun piece, the glissandos should be scrapings on the wrapped string, but there are no samples for that effect.

    Thanks for listening,
    Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

    Challenge #10 Winner

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •