• Register
  • Help

Topic: Need Help Selecting Appropriate PC

Share/Bookmark

Need Help Selecting Appropriate PC

Hi All:

Looks like I will need a replacement for my older PC.

My computer criteria includes:

Fast Processor (Core 2 Quad or similar)
    3 GB RAM
    CD, DVD +/-Writer/Player
    PCIe accessory for RME Digiface soundcard
    500 GB HD (don't need more)
    WiFi compatible

17" monitor. Don't need larger models, but something
    that is clear and easy on the eyes.

This computer will be used in conjunction with a Mac Pro (2.66 GB)
    and will host all of my GPO libraries. The Mac Pro will host DP6
    and Steinway program software.

I know there is a lot out there, but not all are applicable to our
    (musicians) needs. So, I ask the host of PC gurus that are members
    of the Garritan community for their suggested brands and models.

Thanks,

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Re: Need Help Selecting Appropriate PC

How much are you willing to spend, Jack? I personally like Shuttle Systems because you can configure the computer yourself but they're more expensive than buying one off the shelf.

http://us.shuttle.com/
    Jerry
    Dayton, Kentucky
    Personally, I'm waiting for caller IQ.

Price is not an object. I want to invest in something
    that will work for me.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

I very recently picked up a dell Preciision T3400 and bought a e-mu card for it. So far I really like it, just be careful because it is easy to get one that sounds like an airport..... (hint - check the video cards (does it have a fan?) and power supply).
    Trent P. McDonald

Jack . . .

Here's one option to think about. . .

Buy a second Mac Pro 2.66 . . . the older kind. . . used from the Apple web side! They're going for around $1999.00 (again used or "refurbished"). You can purchased the extra RAM and hard drive from a Mac-focused web site usually for a lot less than what Apple sells them for.

I'm thinking about doing this myself. I LOVE my Mac Pro. I also own a few PC-based video editing programs. So if/when I purchase that second refurbished Mac Pro, I'll get the necessary software programs so that I can have duo-boot capabilities; the second "boot" being Windows XP (preferably) to run the PC programs.

Good luck with your decision.

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Thank you all for your input.

Ted, I need a PC because I'm using V-Stack as
    a VST host and it is PC oriented, not for the Mac.
    Otherwise, I would have two Macs. I'm definitely a
    MacMan..............lol

Jack

Right now, I'm thinking of the Dell XPS 420. Any
    real criticisms on that would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by jjloving View Post
    It's a PC! <rimshot>
    not helping, I know

One thing to consider is whether or not you want to deal with Vista. If not, I would go the route that lets you build one yourself. My parents bought a dell (not sure of model) about a year ago, and the thing hasn't worked right since day 1. Problems booting right out of the box, sometimes taking two or three restarts just to get to the login screen, applications constantly freezing, etc.

Now to be fair, this could very well be Dell's screw up in putting the machine together rather than Vista at fault, there could be hardware conflicts or whatever else - but the Dell tech support guys have said "It's Microsoft's problem nothing we can do"

That seems a big risk to me - when XP is out and proven to run very well with the applications out today.

Jon
    I think half the problems today come from companies like Dell and HP 'personalizing' the OEM versions of the OS that they ship. I doubt they can add any of their own services to optimize a system, and in my experience, HP's programming enhancements have been an embarassment (i.e. the Recovery CD Creator program that always fails to properly burn the recovery CDs).

Reegs

Love XP, but can you buy it and have it installed
    in a NEW computer? I keep hearing it is becoming
    extinct.

Jack

I think you just missed XP - I think they stopped selling it loaded on PCs at the end of June. You can call Dell and see if you can still get it. I bought in May and got XP.

The computer I just replaced with my new Precision was an XPS - it has about 8 fans and is really, really load - I can only use it with noise cancelling headphones. But it was bought in early 2004 - things may have changed...
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by jjloving View Post
    The way I understand it, XP can't be used in "off-the-shelf" machines anymore - the major computer manufactures all have to use Vista. If you're having a computer custom built, or doing it yourself, you can choose which OS to run since XP discs can still be purchased through sometime in 2009.

Jon

Yeah, Newegg still sells most versions of XP, including 64-bit, as OEM. It's possible to buy an off-the-shelf computer, format the hard disk to remove Vista, and then load the XP copy, though you might run into some driver availability or functionality issues.

Reegs

Go Back to forum