• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Tech Dept: Using Your Computer for Vibrato Technique

Share/Bookmark

Tech Dept: Using Your Computer for Vibrato Technique

ZDnet had an interesting blog article. Here are some excerpts:

Your computer as your singing coach
    Israeli researchers have developed an electronic ear to coach vibrato technique. Until now, the quality of a vibrato — the pulsating change of pitch in a singer’s voice — could only be judged by voice experts. Now, a Tel Aviv University research team ‘has successfully managed to train a computer to rate vibrato quality, and has created an application based on biofeedback to help singers improve their technique.’ Interestingly, this research could be used for other applications, such as improving automated help centers, where computers could be trained ‘to recognize a range of different emotions, such as anger and nervousness.’...

Before going further, what is vibrato? It is “a musical effect than can be used when a musician sings or plays an instrument. It adds expression to a song and is created by a steady pulsating change of pitch, characterized by the amount of variation and the speed at which the pitch is varied. TAU’s application can teach singers how to mimic the vibrato qualities most attractive to the human ear.”
    And here are some quotes from Noam Amir. “‘Vibrato is just one aspect of a singer’s impact,’ says Amir, an expert in the ways that emotions impact speech. ‘Singers need to arouse an emotional response, and that is a complicated task.’ […] New vocal students usually don’t have good control of their vibrato, explains Amir. ‘Their vibrato is erratic and hard to judge subjectively, and it’s hard to find to a precise measure for this. We wanted to find a way to emulate a human expert in a computer program.’”...

The original research was published in the journal Biomedical Signal Processing and Control under the title “Acoustic and perceptual assessment of vibrato quality of singing students” (Volume 1, Issue 2, Pages 144-150, April 2006).

Here is the beginning of the abstract. “While most studies that attempted to evaluate vibrato quality examined vocal productions of accomplished singers, very little is known about the characteristics of vibrato among singing students. Therefore, in this study, we performed a preliminary attempt to assess vibrato quality in their production of sustained notes. To that end, the presence and quality of vibrato in 253 sung notes was rated subjectively by five experienced singing teachers. The pitch contour was calculated for each recording, from which we calculated the FFT and the autocorrelation of this contour. Subsequently, a series of features was extracted from these two, and then different statistical methods were applied to examine whether the acoustic features could be used to define predictors that would be in agreement with the perceptual judgments. Given the moderate agreement obtained among judges, these acoustic predictors performed relatively well: vibrato existence was predicted correctly in over 82% of the recordings.”...
    Time to get out my biofeedback devices. Maybe biofeedback for the choir library has a future!

Re: Tech Dept: Using Your Computer for Vibrato Technique

Do they have a version for yodeling? That, I could use...

It sounds like a great tool for the serious vocal student. I'm marking it for future reference.

A community choir of course is more concerned with intonation than vibrato control. Some of the more skilled singers may work on their vibrato.

I remember reading an article years ago where I believe it was a jazz person said that vocal vibrato is a crutch and should be discouraged. It sounded like another new idea that didn't hold water.

Phil

Vibrato is so style dependent. Avoid it in choir. Restrain in jazz. Go crazy with Wagner.

Maybe this program could be used for pitch wheel training...

Quote Originally Posted by etLux View Post

Great, that's all we need. Something else to shake up the mother board. Howevvvvva! There are several main techniques in forming vibrato you tomato! Mouth (not recommended) throat (again, used sparingly for effects) and diaphragmatic (recommended). Ezz they sayingk this will teach a singer the most highly recommended vibrato? Or, just plant some tomato's in the grotto but don't hurt your lumbago!

Eh, I can't see sing a sea song see? Don't forget to pick up your norm sheets at the main office before you leave today....thank you. Click!
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst View Post
    Vibrato is so style dependent. Avoid it in choir. Restrain in jazz. Go crazy with Wagner.

Maybe this program could be used for pitch wheel training...
    I never thought much about vibrato and styles. It just seems to happen naturally to fit the music.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by etLux View Post

David,

See this:

http://www.yodelcourse.com/

Can't wait to hear your progress...

Sosnowski is Austrian, yes?
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

My son is so adept as a manualist (cupping hands together and compressing to make basic sound; then varrying the respective hand position for pitch) that he has developed a vibrato. Also, is a virtuoso with the palm placed on the underarm producing interesting intonations by flapping the arm. No vibrato yet with this technique but working on it.

When you buy this, make sure to get the Aaron Neville tremolo plugin with it.

Go Back to forum