• Register
  • Help

Topic: sample editing question, please

Share/Bookmark

sample editing question, please

Hello to everyone!

I hope someone can help me I'm confused about editing sample libraries.

IF I have 2 seperate sounds, say they are from akai disks or old gigastudio disks. One is say a pad and one a bell or something, can you blend them together as one sample with a software sampler like kontakt2?
    OR do you have to record segments as audio and then edit that way.
    I guess if it's loops would you use wavelab and edit them together when they are audio, right?

Sorry, don't know how to do this.
    Thank you again

Re: sample editing question, please

Do you want to actually combine the audio sounds? You can do that using a sound editor.

However, using Kontakt, you could easily mix the two sounds together non-destructively to form a single patch.

Well first, obviously, make sure that you don’t violate any license agreements with regard to the sounds and make sure that it is for your personal use only.

Then, I would say that the best way to do it is to keep them separate samples. That way, you can always adjust the relative volume of each component (or any other parameter) separately (it’s also easier to loop usually). With most software samplers today, it is very easy to just layer them on top of each other however you wish.

I think that Kontakt can import both Akai and Gigastudio samples (for example), so see if your sampler will import your wave data directly.

Brian
    "So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Quote Originally Posted by gregjazz View Post
    Do you want to actually combine the audio sounds? You can do that using a sound editor.

However, using Kontakt, you could easily mix the two sounds together non-destructively to form a single patch.
    One example is 2 loop sounds I like, they're drum loops and I wanted to take parts from both of them and make a new loop, so yeah, it would be .WAV file.

I wanted to do that with sample format sounds too, but not sure if that's possible, taking bits and pieces from different akai disks and mixing them as a new sample?

Thanks so much so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian2112 View Post
    Well first, obviously, make sure that you don’t violate any license agreements with regard to the sounds and make sure that it is for your personal use only.

Then, I would say that the best way to do it is to keep them separate samples. That way, you can always adjust the relative volume of each component (or any other parameter) separately (it’s also easier to loop usually). With most software samplers today, it is very easy to just layer them on top of each other however you wish.

I think that Kontakt can import both Akai and Gigastudio samples (for example), so see if your sampler will import your wave data directly.

Brian
    Understand the licence agreement thing, thank you though.

So, really, I would have to record the 2 patches as midi, convert them to audio, THEN I could edit and blend them in Wavelab. Is that correct?

Appreciate your help too!

Quote Originally Posted by RichardD View Post
    So, really, I would have to record the 2 patches as midi, convert them to audio, THEN I could edit and blend them in Wavelab. Is that correct?

If you wanted it to result with a single sample which consists of the two samples together, then yes, recording the patches separately and then blending them in an audio editor would be the way to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by gregjazz View Post
    If you wanted it to result with a single sample which consists of the two samples together, then yes, recording the patches separately and then blending them in an audio editor would be the way to do it.
    Thank you gregjazz.
    I understand. Is wavelab the best to use or perhaps Soundforge?
    Are there any other apps good for this, I just bought Cubase studio 4.
    I have only a free wavelab express, it's an old version 4 I think.
    I'd like to buy a full version of something.

Thank you again for your help.

I use Sonar for everything. It's mixdown capabilities are nice and flexible, but probably no better that what any other audio program can perform.

Now, thanks to me, your thread will soon become a war over best audio editor.

Belbin

Quote Originally Posted by belbin View Post
    I use Sonar for everything. It's mixdown capabilities are nice and flexible, but probably no better that what any other audio program can perform.

Now, thanks to me, your thread will soon become a war over best audio editor.
    Sonar is great for multi-mic sample libraries!

In RichardD's case, I think any audio editor should suffice. All you're doing is mixing together two recorded sounds.

Thanks so much everyone.
    Guess I'll knuckle down, study Wavelab and LEARN!

Again, my thanks, this is a nice forum

Go Back to forum