• Register
  • Help

Topic: Convolution Memory use in Kontakt 2

Share/Bookmark

Convolution Memory use in Kontakt 2

Can someone answer the following question please:

Say I have two instances of Kontakt 2, (not Player), and there are three instruments loaded in one, and two in the other. Each of the instruments has convolution reverb loaded as a send effect in Kontakt.

In this scenario, how many instances of the reverb processor am I consuming? 5, 2, or 1?

The basis of the question is to try and understand whether it is better to apply the reverb inside the kontakt engine or put it on a bus in Sonar and send it there separately in Sonar?

Thanks for any advice.

Re: Convolution Memory use in Kontakt 2

I remember reading somewhere (in another musician-based bulletin board) that the convolution used in Kontakt 2 for reverb will require more CPU power. It seems that Kontakt 2 is already a bit of a CPU and memory hog.

About 1 1/2 years ago, now, I purchased a Mac Pro and loaded it with RAM. I had this fanciful idea that I could do all of my sequencing with computer-based orchestral sound libraries all on this one computer. Boy, was I wrong!! My first project, loaded with GPO and JABB instruments (using Kontakt 2), caused the computer to choke. Increasing the latency helped. But, what really helps, for me, is using a second and THIRD computer for those big sequencing projects. (I now divide the computer-based sound libraries between the Mac Pro, an aging Dell Precision Workstation and an aging Receptor, by Muse Research, which is a fancy computer dedicated to VST software plug-ins.) It seems that as the computers become more powerful, so do the CPU and RAM requirments of the computer-based sound libraries and other plug-ins!

My music-creation work-flow now involves turning off any and all convolution reverb within the Kontakt 2 program, spreading the instrumental sound libraries between the three computers and using only simple, basic cpu-friendly reverb (one for strings and another for rest of the instruments) while I sequence. When I go to mix down, I increase the latency of the audio card (which will help keep the computer from choking while I use more cpu-hungry plug-ins) and use the more CPU/RAM intensive convolution reverb plug-ins like Altiverb 6.

I'm still wishing for that one computer being able to manage many, many, many instrumental and audio-processing plug-ins. Maybe when the computers, operating systems, audio recording/sequencing programs and instrumental/audio plug-ins are all 64-bit, and when RAM is cheap so that one can put many, many Gigabytes of RAM into this dream computer, MAYBE, just MAYBE my wish will come true. I ain't holding my breath, though.

I also look forward to reading the replies to your inquiry. There is lots of wonderful and valuable knowledge shared on these bulletin boards!

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Assuming the convolution is applied in the Output section - and not inside each instrument, which would be even worse - each Kontakt instance will have its own convolution engine running, thus effectively doubling the CPU power consumed by convolution. Using a good, dedicated reverb plugin on a Sonar bus would be more efficient.

Thanks Ted and Nickie for your responses.

Ted, I am interested in what techniques you are using to get the computers working together. I have heard of FX Teleport. Every now and then this question comes up here so I am sure there would be interest in a little detail.

The little details, like how you separate your sequencing and mix-down, are GOLD. Thank you. I am sure people pick up as much if not more from those little aside comments and details ...

Thank you once again.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanPerkins View Post
    Ted, I am interested in what techniques you are using to get the computers working together. I have heard of FX Teleport. Every now and then this question comes up here so I am sure there would be interest in a little detail.

The little details, like how you separate your sequencing and mix-down, are GOLD. Thank you. I am sure people pick up as much if not more from those little aside comments and details ... . . . .
    Hi Alan

There is a WONDERFUL program called MidiOverLan Cross Platform 3 (a.k.a MOL) made by Music Lab. Their web site is: Music Lab

It requires ethernet connections (but uses their own computer communication protocols) between the computers. Up to eight can be connected, I believe. What's cool is that you can connect a Mac and a PC for your sequencing projects. However, it's only set up to allow computers to communicate midi information. It does not communicate audio information. So, you will need to connect computer 1's audio device to your computer 2's audio device. My setup utilizes MOL to communicate midi information between my Mac Pro and Dell Precision Workstation. For audio, I connect 8 ADAT outs from my Mac Pro's MOTU 2408 MK3 audio device to my Dell Precision Workstation's 8 ADAT inputs (which is a MOTU 828 MK2). (FYI, the Receptor that I also use has its own midi and audio communication protocol unrelated to the MOL program.)

I am happy to say that this is a VERY stable set up for me.

Regarding the "seperation" of sequencing from the mix-down work-flow. This works really well for me! I learned about this composing/sequencing/mix-down work-flow option by reading some post on some forum for composers/musicians. I most whole-heartedly agree with you. This information that we learn is GOLD!

Happy composing!

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Quote Originally Posted by efiebke View Post
    Hi Alan

There is a WONDERFUL program called MidiOverLan Cross Platform 3 (a.k.a MOL) made by Music Lab. Their web site is: Music Lab

It requires ethernet connections (but uses their own computer communication protocols) between the computers..../....
    Happy composing!

Ted
    Can I recommend ipMidi as well. Very similar - the basic version gives you a license for three computers - but much cheaper than midioverlan. I'm using it for Chaingang videoslave and Altiverb to connect my 2nd DAW - works with almost no latency.

And Hi from another Aussie, Alan!

Quote Originally Posted by efiebke View Post
    I'm still wishing for that one computer being able to manage many, many, many instrumental and audio-processing plug-ins. Maybe when the computers, operating systems, audio recording/sequencing programs and instrumental/audio plug-ins are all 64-bit, and when RAM is cheap so that one can put many, many Gigabytes of RAM into this dream computer, MAYBE, just MAYBE my wish will come true. I ain't holding my breath, though.
    IBM(?) recently made a computer based upon 1000th's of processors from Sony Playstation. I think that "beast" fulfills your needs

Raymond

Thanks Again Ted and thanks also to Gregory. I will have a look at those products. Looks like IPMidid gives you a working trial that lasts 60 minutes before a reboot is required.

Go Back to forum