• Register
  • Help

Topic: galaxy II's bluthner vs BDMO?

Share/Bookmark

galaxy II's bluthner vs BDMO?

Hi,

I recently bought the Garritan Steinway and have been very happy with it. I really like the natural ambience of the different perspectives....But, like all digital pianists in search of the perfect chord I am itchy to add a different sound. I am greatly impressed with the sound of the Bluthner given my jazz-influenced style for certain stuff i putz around with.

I have been listening to samples on both the Galaxy II site and PAV's BDMO site. Anybody have any thoughts relative to both? The Galaxy is a great value considering I could be getting a Bosendorfer sample also (for not much more money), but i wonder if the BDMO is more user friendly and controllable and has better support. The support comment if very important to me.... (Gary Garritan has been very responsive and helpful on questions during set-up).

Both pianos sound very nice on their respective websites, but demos on the website are sometimes misleading and comments from actual users can really be helpful... thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Re: galaxy II's bluthner vs BDMO?

hi;

i don't have neither the BDMO nor the galaxy II baby grand, so i can't compare them soundwise (they seem however really to be the top notch bluethners avaiable, and i will also get one of them :-).but i recently purchased the galaxy II vienna grand download edition, and i can say a word to your concerns.
    - user friendlyness/controls: in my opinion this instrument is extremely userfriendly. logically set up, and all the control knobs do exactly what they are supposed to do. furthermore, you really have a lot of parameters that can be adjusted to your gusto.
    - customer support: i had several questions before purchasing and posted them here and in the galaxypianos.com forum. although it took a little while, i finally got very friendly and useful answers of uli (the developer) as well as raindog (either a user and/or betatester).
    in retrospective, some of my questions were quiet naive, but uli nevertheless took the time to answer them extensively, so i would not be concerned about user support (unless it should be very urgent/short-term).

regards

oxy

Quote Originally Posted by fat and flat View Post
    Hi,

I recently bought the Garritan Steinway and have been very happy with it. I really like the natural ambience of the different perspectives....But, like all digital pianists in search of the perfect chord I am itchy to add a different sound. I am greatly impressed with the sound of the Bluthner given my jazz-influenced style for certain stuff i putz around with.

I have been listening to samples on both the Galaxy II site and PAV's BDMO site. Anybody have any thoughts relative to both? The Galaxy is a great value considering I could be getting a Bosendorfer sample also (for not much more money), but i wonder if the BDMO is more user friendly and controllable and has better support. The support comment if very important to me.... (Gary Garritan has been very responsive and helpful on questions during set-up).

Both pianos sound very nice on their respective websites, but demos on the website are sometimes misleading and comments from actual users can really be helpful... thanks in advance for any thoughts!
    Hi F&F,
    I don´t own the Garritan Steinway (but do own and use BMDO and Galaxy II). From the Garritan demos I heard it seems to be one of the best (if not the best) Steinway sampled so far. Therefore I would doubt that the Galaxy II Steinway (which is VERY good) would give you anything you don´t have with the Garritan library.
    The Bluthners are difficult to compare as the Galaxy has a Baby Grand in contrast to the BDMO which is a fullblown Bluethner Grand piano.
    The Galaxy Bluethner is a very nice piano with a typical Baby Grand sound but the BDMO is a class of it´s own (with the same price as the whole Galaxy II package). If you are aiming for THE Bluethner sound, I´d reccommend to go for the BDMO (the dozens of impulse modells of different pianos are great btw). The Galaxy II is my "all you can eat" library with an excellent GUI and sound, AND it includes a Boesendorfer. The support is great with both companies.
    So it depends what YOU are looking for
    Best regards
    Raindog

Oxy and Raindog,

Hey, thanks to you both for taking time to share your thoughts!

Oxy, your futility (at first) with the BS forum was one of my main concerns w/ service at BS. But i noticed you got what you needed and the administrator was very apologetic about the delay. I didn't like the fact that you couldn't email them directly, but i guess the forum works fine if they stay on top of it. in my opinion, there are only naive questions in hindsight, when you are sitting there at an impasse sweating bullets and cursing, you need help and you need it fast.

Raindog- your answer is exactly what i was looking for. thanks so much for differentiating the two bluthners. since it is the bluthner sound that i really want to acquire at this point, i will likely buy the BDMO. and maybe down the road buy the download version of the BS/ Vienna Grand Bosie if i want to go that way. my schtick is jazz/pop/blues arrangements, and there was something about that bassy mellow bluthner that got under my skin....!

Raindog- your answer is exactly what i was looking for. thanks so much for differentiating the two bluthners. since it is the bluthner sound that i really want to acquire at this point, i will likely buy the BDMO. and maybe down the road buy the download version of the BS/ Vienna Grand Bosie if i want to go that way. my schtick is jazz/pop/blues arrangements, and there was something about that bassy mellow bluthner that got under my skin....!
    Hi F&F,
    one thing I have to mention about the BMDO. When using Kontakt Player 2 or Kontakt 2 there are some (at least when using good monitors or earphones) disturbing ringing artefacts when activating the sustain impulse responses and pressing the sustain pedal. There is nothing the developers can do about this as it is a K2 problem. When using K3 the problem is compeltely gone. There will be a Kontakt player update (to version 3) in the near future which will eliminate the problem without the need to buy Kontakt 3.

When you´re into jazz you have to play the Bluethner (BMDO) with impulse responses from different jazz recordings (some ranging to the 50s and 60s) They are all there at the press of a button. It´s almost spooky.
    And yes, the bottom sound with mellow basses (even bass chords don´t sound muddy or harsh) of a Bluethner is hard to beat.

best regards
    Raindog (more a user than a beta tester)

Hi F&F,
    one thing I have to mention about the BMDO. When using Kontakt Player 2 or Kontakt 2 there are some (at least when using good monitors or earphones) disturbing ringing artefacts when activating the sustain impulse responses and pressing the sustain pedal. There is nothing the developers can do about this as it is a K2 problem. When using K3 the problem is compeltely gone. There will be a Kontakt player update (to version 3) in the near future which will eliminate the problem without the need to buy Kontakt 3.

Raindog,

I started out- sample wise - with the Art Vista VGP, which used the original Kontakt player- worked like a champ. then i upgraded to VGP2 with the Kontakt 2 and it was a real mess, at least for me ( i am just a player/amateur recorder- not an engineer, so i have limited production skills). So, i admit i'm scared of the K2 going in. The Aria player Garritan uses never crashes and is great for a luddite like myself. This stuff is always a real adventure....

PS: doesnt the galaxy II also use Kontakt 2? does it have the same issues? i don't think that alone is enough to get me to change my mind, and i already placed the order on line for the bdmo!

I started out- sample wise - with the Art Vista VGP, which used the original Kontakt player- worked like a champ. then i upgraded to VGP2 with the Kontakt 2 and it was a real mess, at least for me ( i am just a player/amateur recorder- not an engineer, so i have limited production skills). So, i admit i'm scared of the K2 going in. The Aria player Garritan uses never crashes and is great for a luddite like myself. This stuff is always a real adventure....

PS: doesnt the galaxy II also use Kontakt 2? does it have the same issues? i don't think that alone is enough to get me to change my mind, and i already placed the order on line for the bdmo!
    Hi F&F,
    Yes, the Galaxy II uses Kontakt as well (Kontakt Player 2). No, it doesn´t have the same issues as the resonance is produced by resonance samples in contrast to BMDO whis uses impulse responses to reproduce sustain resonance. It is not a showstopper as the noises are not too loud and as I said, they disappear completely when using Kontakt 3 (so I presume the new Kontakt Player 3 will eliminate them as well). You won´t regret your choice that´s for sure. If you have any money left, get the Galaxy Boesendorfer as well. I would bet you are done with pianos for the next years after that (at least if these developers finally stop bombarding us poor addicts with their great libraries )
    best regards
    Raindog

If you have any money left, get the Galaxy Boesendorfer as well. I would bet you are done with pianos for the next years after that (at least if these developers finally stop bombarding us poor addicts with their great libraries )
    Raindog,

one last question and i will leave you alone.... do you think i would be satisfied with the download version of the Galaxy Bos? or is the 24 bit piano on the DVD most likely far superior- particularly for recording? I guess the Best Service folks haven't broken the full versions of these pianos out into single purchases. I was really taken with how nice the Bos samples sounded on their site. I'm not a rachmaninoff pounder but it could make for some incredible gospel influenced arrangements. for live playing, just about anything works, but it is amazing how important the nuances of these samples are for recording- at least to the ears of the person recording it.

again, thanks for sharing your thoughts!
    f&f

acually Raindog- i just read your post on another thread where you pretty much dealt with the full version vs the download. sounds like anyone who is recording will probably be more pleased with the full scale version.

your comments about most people not knowing the difference between a grand and an upright is right on the money. a couple years ago i decided to make some CD's for friends and family and "immortalize" myself in case i croaked tomorrow. I was a completely unwashed knave in the world of digital music, so i bought a Yamaha AW16 on sale online, plugged in my Yamaha P250 keyboard and recorded away. I have a Steinway 5'8" (or maybe its 5'10" - i don't sweat details...) but i can't keep it tuned in the humid Southeast US and wouldn't have a clue how to keep a barking dog out of the mike mix. So i'm in the digital domain. if you had asked me what compression was i would have told you it was something you applied to a sprained ankle. anyway, the family/friends loved it- i thought i was a hero, too. and now.... i absolutely can't listen to it anymore. like fingernails on a chalkboard. so the last 8 months has been spent learning about high-end samples, blah, blah. i guess the point of the rambling is that the sound of this stuff has to first get by the toughest set of ears out there...your own. and i think the psychology with people who get involved with this is that if you think there is a better alternative out there, you won't be fully satisfied with what you've done. which is great news for the developers, always a better toy down the pike. and i just don't know about MIDI rendering- i think the individual sound of a piano or sample inspires how you actually play- i would approach an arrangement's phrasing and voicings differently- dependent on the nuances of the piano. which means i'll be recording Stardust 7.0 on the new BDMO soon!

no need to reply to this prattle....

best regards,

F&F

Go Back to forum