• Register
  • Help

Topic: Widows and Orphans/Battle Blades Extended

Share/Bookmark

Widows and Orphans/Battle Blades Extended

Hi,

Being a 21 year old College Undergrad, working, and composing don't work well with my schedule. Sorry if I haven't posted any new responses, but I have been lurking around and listening the wonderful new music we have here.

But I'm posted up my two latest pieces in development for fun.

Widows and Orphans
    http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6699230

Battle Blades Extended
    http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6699249

Note:
    "Widows and Orphans" will probably be the last piece I will be rendering my works with Garritan Personal Orchestra. Although I still might use the unbeatable Solo Instruments and Woodwinds. "Good bye GPO, I'll miss you."

"Battle Blades Extended" is my first piece using EWQL Symphonic Orchestra Gold Edition and Gold Professional XP. I'm already intimated by the massive amount of articulations available. Loading them with the Kompakt Player Engine is quite resource intensive, but nevertheless I'm very satisfied with the results.

I'll leave it from there. Enjoy and have fun listening.

Best Regards,

David Fang

Re: Widows and Orphans/Battle Blades Extended

David

I also own the libraries you mentioned, but I still use GPO in all of my pieces. I think that GPO works well with them with some tweaking and as you said the solo instruments are hard to beat.

I guess what I am saying is, don't give up so easy on GPO.
    I always use the GPO strings to accent everything and the brass as well.

The more colors you have on your pallette should only help your pieces.

Experiment some and I think that you will agree with me.

I am a 50 year old fulltime undergrad, but I still find some time to compose and am confidant you will continue to find time as well.

BTW Both pieces sound great

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Thumbs up Re: Widows and Orphans/Battle Blades Extended

David:
    Oh, how I hate such talented youngsters as you.
    I hope you have your bags packed because you'll be moving soon to Hollywood or where ever they need writers like you. It may be crowded out there, but with talent like yours, they make room! I'm sorta tongue tied now because I'm so stunned by your music. ad infintum------

sosmus (Steve)

Of both pieces I can only say, "Bravo." The dynamics and contrast are quite outstanding as is the stress and release factor. I have no doubt we will hear much of you in the near future.

I guess what I am saying is, don't give up so easy on GPO.
    I always use the GPO strings to accent everything and the brass as well.

I'm not sure about your opinion, but I'm not particularly happy about the accented articulations GPO has to offer. It lacks the "rosin" effect which normally you should hear when the bow are pulled against the strings and the light bright crispy noise when the bows are being pulled very lightly. Do I need the mention the need for lush vibrato and "emotional" strings? A slight difference in articulations really brings your music to life.

EWQLSO does this very well, especially the marcato and staccato patches, which is probably the reason why most of the symphonic pieces I'm making starting from now we be rendered by EWQLSO instead. But for individual strings, woodwinds, and brass solos, I will mix GPO with EWQL since they are more expressive and easier to control.

But if the woodwinds are commanded to do fast note repititions, I'll quickly patch switch over to EWQL staccato Oboe fast. So essentially its one instrument stave performing a combination of GPO and EWQL samples. How to bridge in sound difference between the two? I use garritan reverb to shroud the differences.

Problem is that the processing power and system resources usage is enormous.

Well my previous pieces is too artificial for my tastes and the playback quality very poor. In synthesized music for the purpose of playback, attemping to achieve best possible realism is my goal.

Oh, how I hate such talented youngsters as you.
    I hope you have your bags packed because you'll be moving soon to Hollywood or where ever they need writers like you. It may be crowded out there, but with talent like yours, they make room! I'm sorta tongue tied now because I'm so stunned by your music. ad infintum------
    Thank you for your kind comments. My chances for Hollywood are very slim. I might have a chance in doing Video Game music, but Hollywood...I really don't think my writing is up to par for Hollywood standards.

Of both pieces I can only say, "Bravo." The dynamics and contrast are quite outstanding as is the stress and release factor. I have no doubt we will hear much of you in the near future.
    Thanks for your comments Tom. As for the near future, I'm finding it harder and harder finding the time and energy to compose music.

Best Regards,

David

You're a tough man to keep up with, David! I haven't
    quite finished with Andromeda, yet; and here I have the
    pleasure of two more wonderful pieces.

Widows and Orphans just tore right into the heart with
    that opening... and the extended, ripping tension of it
    followed with such regret.

Battle is quite a brassy, energetic endeavor that, despite
    your misgivings, David, would probably find itself right at
    home in Hollywood productions.