• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: A Film? Huh?

Share/Bookmark

Cool A Film? Huh?

I just received a call from a film producer asking me if I would be interested in writing music for his short film. I said, "What? You're doing a film on shorts?"
    OK, not funny but who asked ya?

Anyway, that's right! Ye 'ol Styxx has been asked to write music for a short film with pay. I think it's in monopoly money but never the less it will be me first attempt at a film. I figure, I'll have to quit my day job, move to L.A., turn ... no wait, can't do that I love my wife!
    So, for those of you who have and continue to be successful at the art of writing for films, I have a questionie for you ... IS THIS GUY NUTS TO HIRE ME OR WHAT?
    I has to admit I'm a little noivous but eh! I'm posta meet them (all of them who ever "all of them" are) and talk over the concept, script, writing, dialog, balloons, McDonalds, rooms for wayward camels, what ever!
    I guess it's time to up date my finale, yes?
    Visshhh me luck!

Tanks.
    Yours truly,
    Vonbeesburg Hindlemire Styxx the Third

Cool, I'm excited aren't you? It's not everyday a Beefalonian gets woik like this ... or that.

Anyway, Happy Birthday MovieMaestro!
    Styxx

Re: A Film? Huh?

Congratulations!
    Exciting and terrifying all at once huh?

Blessings!

Charles
    MacPro 2.66 - Tiger & Snow Leopard / 16GB RAM / several TB of HD space/ Garritan Libraries / EWQLSO Platinum PLAY / Omnisphere/ Kontakt 2 & 3 / Finale 2010 /DP5/ a VERY patient wife!

Congrats Styxx and best of luck!!

Hope you have some fun with it!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

have you ever done anything like this before?

If not I offer the following advice (if you have, totally ignore this post and congratulations :

I would suggest picking up a copy of Film & Sound. Its a pretty big book, and a lot of it is not completely important for your work, but it will help you have a better understanding of film and how to write for it, creating space at the right moments etc. It covers most aspects of the industry, from editing to marketing to dialogue, sound and music. A lot of that may sound unnecessary to you, but it all helps to get inside the directors mind and puts you on a slightly more level playing field!

Never ask "what do you want it to sound like?" Instead ask "what do you want it to do?". If the acting is good then the music isn't needed to prop it up, and it can become a separate voice in the film. If however the actors aren't conveying an emotion strongly enough, then you've got to strengthen it! When you can, be the 3rd thread to the images and dialog.

- just a few random words of advice gleamed from my own tutor...

Oh and when you can, DONT score it in sibelius or finale first, instead go to your sequencer and react and flow with the images as nec. I find using conventional bars right from the start boxes me in and makes my writing a bit crappy! I only fully score if doing a long action sequence that can have a regular pulse or if they want to record it live...leading to a big question:

Will it be performed or sequenced?

Good luck with it all! you probably know everything i've just randomly spouted anyway, but If I can help in anyway just ask (though who knows why'd you come to me for help!

Ben

Ben, I'm not afraid to admit I've never work on this type of project before. My experience lays in musical directing/performance. Your tips and suggestions are happily excepted with the greatest of appreciation.
    Looking for the book now. I have till August 15, 16, & 17.

Thanks again!
    Styxx

3 deadlines?! wow, thats scary. 3 times as scary in fact!

Is that;
    Film Sound: Theory and Practice

By Elisabeth Weis, John Belton ?

Three time frames? Well, we'll see.
    Styxx

actually thats not the one I meant, but it is better than my suggestion! have read it, and it s quite theoretical at times, but worth reading if you have time.

i actually got the title of the book i meant wrong, its really called Film Art: An introduction, by Bordwell and Thompson, and covers the following topics, with lots of examples, visual analysies and case studies. As you will see from the list, this book is more to help facilitate an understanding of the film production and all its elements. Useful for a composer to know!

Parts:
    - fllm production distribution and exhibition
    - film form
    - types of films
    - film style (big part of the book - over 200 pages! It includes Mise-en-scene, cinematography, editing (important) sound in cinema and style as a formal system)
    - Critical analysis of films (not important, but actually very helpful when making decisions about cues)
    - film history (brief)

What style is the film? I might be able to point you in a direction towards something.

ben

Quote Originally Posted by BenNichols View Post
    i actually got the title of the book i meant wrong, its really called Film Art: An introduction, by Bordwell and Thompson, ben
    Ah yes, I saw it and plan to purchase at Boarders tonight, thanks.

The style of the film? Good question ... We're to have a meeting soon and I will get back to you on your question afterwards.

I do appreciate your advice and help!
    Styxx

Your welcome! Hope it goes well for you at the meeting.

Go Back to forum