• Register
  • Help

Topic: Double Bass register...

Share/Bookmark

Double Bass register...

Hi, I am a classical guitar player who is learning orchestration so here is a question...

From what I am reading, double basses are producing sounds 1 octave lower than what is written on the score compared to cellos who are producing the correct pitch based on what is written to the score.

But here is the question: in Cubase (or any sequencer) when I am in the midi editor (piano roll), if I want to here a dbass note 1 octave lower than the cello, I have to specify it right?

By exemple C1 for cello and C0 for DBass or are the DBass samples already recorded 1 octave lower? I assume not based on what I ear...

So now if I switch to the Score editor, unless I set a transposition for the DBass, I should see each notes separated by 1 octave right?

Anybody can confirm?
    Regards
    Nicolas Roy
    www.nicolasroy.com

Re: Double Bass register...

Quote Originally Posted by nicolasroy View Post
    Hi, I am a classical guitar player who is learning orchestration so here is a question...

From what I am reading, double basses are producing sounds 1 octave lower than what is written on the score compared to cellos who are producing the correct pitch based on what is written to the score.

But here is the question: in Cubase (or any sequencer) when I am in the midi editor (piano roll), if I want to here a dbass note 1 octave lower than the cello, I have to specify it right?

By exemple C1 for cello and C0 for DBass or are the DBass samples already recorded 1 octave lower? I assume not based on what I ear...

So now if I switch to the Score editor, unless I set a transposition for the DBass, I should see each notes separated by 1 octave right?

Anybody can confirm?
    Regards
    Yes, that is generally correct, depending on which lib you use. Some libs (usually older ones) were already transposed, and old orchestral sound modules were as well. All the ones I use these days are not transposed so they act like you say.

Thanks, this is what I thought.
    Nicolas Roy
    www.nicolasroy.com

good topic
    wiger

Go Back to forum