• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT-Composers Website

Share/Bookmark

OT-Composers Website

Hi friends,

up to now I am uploading my music files to BoxNet (payed customer). So far ok. But I am looking at a website where composers can meet each other and where we can upload our works. There are many, like MySpace, but they all are polluted by "rappers", "metal bands", "funkers, punkers", "headbanging" and more of this (IMHO) crap. Hundreds of self-acclaimed musicians have some entry and the more serious among us got obscured/hidden by this crowd.

I know of the existence of Classical Archives, but I don't like this site. Is there any other website, apart from our friendly Listening Room, where we can present our work. If they charge some entry fee, that's ok with me.

Raymond

Re: OT-Composers Website

Interesting... I was just going to post something similar to your question!

I love these forums (my favorite of many I frequent covering many subjects), but I was wondering if there were something more specificly targeted towards contemporary composers with lots of healthy discussion, sharing, and critique.

These forums are the closest I've found, but the focus here should remain on the software.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

there is Compose Forums, though it's gotten a bit quiet lately.

http://www.composeforums.com/forum/default.asp

a number of members of that forum do occassionaly come here.

I had started a project for composers to upload and discuss their works a while ago. The code is flawed and the project doesn't work correctly anymore. I could try redoing it and bringing it back to life, though.
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

I've got an email with some other sites. Whatever I try, this forum don't let me quote the addresses (somehow censored!!!! with those ~~~~~~ characters). Silly, but true.

At the other hand, I had a look at their forums and it is not different from ours. Maybe some more compositional advices, some other libraries, some strange music and musical effects, but not the kind I was looking for. It is again another forum and NOT a website with musical entries alone. What I really want is a website where we can put our pieces, without being drowned by all stuff today presented on MySpace and others.

Maybe the idea of CJ Pro can make this happen.

Raymond

The only hitch I may run into with developing such a project would be that I am not allowed to advertise on these forums as per the forum rules:

Quote Originally Posted by PaPa Chalk
    Please no third party commercial advertising in topic or reply posts any post which violates this rule can and will be deleted without notice.
    I personally don't want to end up in any trouble, so if I do go ahead with the project, you may never hear of it on this site (from me, at least).
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

Quote Originally Posted by C J Pro View Post
    The only hitch I may run into with developing such a project would be that I am not allowed to advertise on these forums as per the forum rules:

I personally don't want to end up in any trouble, so if I do go ahead with the project, you may never hear of it on this site (from me, at least).
    Feel PM me if you go through with it. Some of us would like to know!
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    Hi friends,

up to now I am uploading my music files to BoxNet (payed customer). So far ok. But I am looking at a website where composers can meet each other and where we can upload our works. There are many, like MySpace, but they all are polluted by "rappers", "metal bands", "funkers, punkers", "headbanging" and more of this (IMHO) crap. Hundreds of self-acclaimed musicians have some entry and the more serious among us got obscured/hidden by this crowd.

I know of the existence of Classical Archives, but I don't like this site. Is there any other website, apart from our friendly Listening Room, where we can present our work. If they charge some entry fee, that's ok with me.

Raymond
    Hello Raymond interesting you've asked. Not sure if you are aware There's an area right here at http://www.northernsounds.net which points more to classical,film and jazz composers. It is exactly as you say a website with musical entries. Just sign up as an artist and you can upload music midi files, sheet music, lyrics videos and more. Currently there is no entry fee If we run out of bandwidth/space at a later time we may implement a separate subscription account which will allow for more space. A fee for this account will be decided from user input or if we can generate enough input from google ads we may be able to keep it completely free. For now we seem to be doing ok and its free.
    There are already quite a few members from here and across the world.

You can paste links to your songs or your composer page anywhere in the forums.

http://www.northernsounds.net

Quote Originally Posted by masimon View Post
    Hello Raymond interesting you've asked. Not sure if you are aware There's an area right here at http://www.northernsounds.net which points more to classical,film and jazz composers. It is exactly as you say a website with musical entries. Just sign up as an artist and you can upload music midi files, sheet music, lyrics videos and more. Currently there is no entry fee If we run out of bandwidth/space at a later time we may implement a separate subscription account which will allow for more space. A fee for this account will be decided from user input or if we can generate enough input from google ads we may be able to keep it completely free. For now we seem to be doing ok and its free.
    There are already quite a few members from here and across the world.

You can paste links to your songs or your composer page anywhere in the forums.

http://www.northernsounds.net
    Now I know what that northernsounds.net is for. Thank you for telling me.

Raymond

Can any one tell me how to upload music files to my "space" at Northern.net?

Raymond

Go Back to forum