• Register
  • Help

Topic: EWQLSO programming strings techniques and more questions

Share/Bookmark

EWQLSO programming strings techniques and more questions

Hi,

I am making my first steps onto synphonic productions with tis library (Gold XP) and i have problems (guess what) with good sounding strings. I know these are the most difficult part to get satisfied with but i´d really to know if there´s any other way i havent figured out from some more advanced users.

First, i cant automate attacks and releases. No way to assign a CC and even standard VST automation doesnt work. Not possible at all?

Then its very, very difficult to get right legato times. I know maybe layering some patches and selectively using this or that but i guess that would take only a Multi for a single melody line. Are you really working like that?

The reverb. Sooo many reverb. Its too easy to get a muddy mix at the end, dont you think? How do you manage that? I thought expanding the signal individually (making the reverb lower) but that should lead to a complete disaster i guess. Layering solo instruments without reverbs from other libraries and reducing the level from the EWQL?

About the close position mic..it would be great if we got the dry instrument, so it doesnt affect the distance if you pan left or right (at least thats what i understood in the manual) but then if you take a C patch and move the pan at the opposite to where its placed originally, you get this feeling that you are staying more with the reverb than with the instrument itself. Again...are you mixing libraries to, lets say put 2nd violinson top right?

I am very happy to have joined this forum finally. Looks like a really great place.

Thanks in advance!

Re: EWQLSO programming strings techniques and more questions

Hi mate,

although I am using various sample libraries for my composing and arranging work too, real orchestra still remains the only way to get the sound real. Sample libraries are intended as a tool for better or worse orchestral mockups. May you be interested in a real sound, drop me an email and I can get a real orchestra for you.

Best,
    Petr Pololanik, M.A.
    Conductor, Orchestrator, Music Producer
    Capellen Music Production

Hi Capellen,

Thanks for your quick answer.

I really dont have the budget for that though i know it would completely solve all these expression problems. I really appreciate your offer.

I am just curios how other more experienced EWQLSO users solved the mentioned issues.

Quote Originally Posted by northernu View Post
    Hi,

First, i cant automate attacks and releases. No way to assign a CC and even standard VST automation doesnt work. Not possible at all?

Then its very, very difficult to get right legato times. I know maybe layering some patches and selectively using this or that but i guess that would take only a Multi for a single melody line. Are you really working like that?

The reverb. Sooo many reverb. Its too easy to get a muddy mix at the end, dont you think? How do you manage that? I thought expanding the signal individually (making the reverb lower) but that should lead to a complete disaster i guess. Layering solo instruments without reverbs from other libraries and reducing the level from the EWQL?
    !
    Well I'm not really a power user of EWQLSO but some answers are simple:

1) The Kompakt Player is quite lousy for assigning attack. release, etc to controllers. You have two options:
    a) use your sequencer automation: you will have to find out which controllers correspond to the EW parameters you want
    b) if you have Kontakt, you can open the EW Instruments with that; Attack & Release are easy to edit and to assign to standard controllers

2) legato is the holy grail for all sample users; there's luck, persistence and much trial & error involved in getting what you want, and often you just settle for what you can get

3) Reverb quality makes a huge difference. If you can use a Convolution Reverb (I use Altiverb but there are plenty to choose from) you will hear a big difference compared to the Reverb in the Player. It's worth experimenting with whatever reverbs you have anyway. I actually like the AU Matrix Reverb in Logic when programmed carefully.

Finally though, the new PLAY engine from East West is coming at reasonable upgrade prices and may help with a lot of what you're trying to do. Check out the website www.eastwestsamples.com

Have fun getting there

Nigel

Hi Nigel,

The point is you cannot switch off the reverb, its recorded with the samples. So in case you decide to add your favourite best sounding rev, it would be reverb over another reverb.

I didnt know about PLAY, thanks for pointing it out here.

The point is you cannot switch off the reverb, its recorded with the samples.
    Yes you can.

So in case you decide to add your favourite best sounding rev, it would be reverb over another reverb.
    Which can be a good thing. IMHO, EWQLSO needs more reverb. Go ahead and add more - nothing is going to go wrong. No artifacts, no phasing errors...

Hi Nigel,

The point is you cannot switch off the reverb, its recorded with the samples. So in case you decide to add your favourite best sounding rev, it would be reverb over another reverb.

I didnt know about PLAY, thanks for pointing it out here.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but as for Gold edition, you only have samples with hall reverb. If you have Platinum edition, you have all samples from 3 mic perspective, which one of them has the least reverb.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Hayat View Post
    Yes you can.
    Theres a reverb module switched off by default but i dont mean that. You have basically F (far) samples which get all the halll reverb, and this one is embedded with the sample so you cannot get rid of that. And that is not cool.

Well, that's what you get with a sample library recorded in a concert hall. To some that's a feature: if you like the sound, you don't need any extra reverb. (The same goes for Sonic Implants/SONiVOX Symphonic library.)

If you want dry, check out VSL's offerings, which is as dry as you can and intended to always be used in conjunction with a high quality reverb in the mix. Or Kirk Hunter's excellent libraries, especially the concert, studio and solo strings recorded dry (as dry you can get on a normal recording stage).
    Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, LinuxSampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland JX-10, 4GB RAM Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2160 @ 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux 64 bit

Go Back to forum