• Register
  • Help

Topic: convincing plucked vibrato ideas?

Share/Bookmark

convincing plucked vibrato ideas?

Hello All,
    I was working this morning with a Turkish Lute sample set which was sampled without vibrato.

However I did want to prgram some in with the use of EG3 routed to the mod wheel. Well I tried different speeds (frequency) and amounts (control depth), yet it still sounds REALLY mechanical.

By setting the pitch wheel bend amount to 1 semitone I was actually able to get something quite a bit more random (musical) by playing with the pitch wheel in very small increments. I would have actually worked *if* I could have set the PW to smaller than 1 semitone.

I use a K2500 for a controller and I know I could route the controll ribbon to send midi controll values to imitate real vibrato. one of the great things about the K2500 & K2600. But I\'m looking for something that everyone can use.

Any hints or suggestions on this? The LFO seems to be a sine wave.... i don\'t suppose there are any other options on this that I\'m verlooking.... are there?

Yes...if I had known at the time of the sampling of this instrument I\'d be making a Giga instrument I would have sampled vibrato also.

Live and learn...

thanks!

------------------
    Dennis Burns - Bolder Sounds - Boulder Colorado
    Dennis Burns Bolder Sounds Boulder Colorado
    http://www.boldersounds.com/

CD ROMS \"Eclectic\" - \"Granular\" - & \"Bolder Pianos\"

for Gigasampler, Akai, Kurzweil & Emu Samplers.

Re: convincing plucked vibrato ideas?

well you could play the vibrato with your Kurtz and sample that

Other options are plug in processing.

I\'m loosely been toying with ideas in my head of how to add vibrato to the non vibrato Dan Dean Clarinet sample. Some simple lfo ideas. Some envelope following ideas and some really in depth crazy \"idea\" ideas.

anyhow, non will be the same as actual vibrato tho. But since it is a lute, you\'ll probably be able to get by with sampling you playing the vibrato with the Kurtz. there is a lot of pitch variation in plucked string vibrato. More so than with other instruments where the vibrato is more like tremolo.

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

Hi,

If you can - make samples with vibrato too.
    I have come to this conclusion myself with my upcomming bass library \"Scarbee Aura Fretless\". Things happen on a string instrument when making a real vibrato that you can not re-create with controllers - change of sound, fret and other buzzing.

But it sure is a lot of extra work!

Thomas

------------------
    Visit www.scarbee.com and check out the demoes from The Scarbee Bass Libraries

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dennis B:

By setting the pitch wheel bend amount to 1 semitone I was actually able to get something quite a bit more random (musical) by playing with the pitch wheel in very small increments. I would have actually worked *if* I could have set the PW to smaller than 1 semitone.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Dennis,

I just discussed this very issue with Joe Bibbo, and he has told me he sees no reason why GigaStudio 3.0 cannot offer increments down to the hundredth of a semitone.

This should make the situation much better.

I\'d urge people to reinforce this request so that it becomes a priority. It will be quite beneficial to many instruments.

Hi Bruce,

Yep - let\'s go for it. I will meet the TASCAM guys at Frankfurt and will talk to them about this.

Thomas

Go Back to forum