• Register
  • Help

Topic: Supplemental Articulations

Share/Bookmark

Question Supplemental Articulations

I'd like to know if there are sample libraries in existence that concentrate on providing supplemental articulations for solo orchestral instruments?

I am familiar with the big orchestral libraries -- I own EWQLSO Platinum Pro, and I supplement that with products from VSL Horizon, VSL SE, Quantum Leap and Project Sam. I've been particularly happy with the breadth of articulations included in the Horizon Solo Strings library, and frustrated that I can't find any supplemental libraries for the other instruments of the orchestra that might offer the comprehensiveness of the Horizon SS.

I'm particularly interested in runs (both upward and downward), glissandi, slurs and/or slides, grace notes, and repetitions. Also instrument specific techniques like growls, flutters, screams, and effects like finger clicking, along with any and all unorthodox uses (or abuses) of the instruments. :-)

Has anyone heard of any sample libraries that concentrate on these sorts of articulations? I'd even be happy with a library that -only- offered those articulations, without the usual legato/stacatto/etc. offerings. I'd really appreciate your help.

Re: Supplemental Articulations

Project Sam currently has a few downloadable woodwind libs that focus specifically on these areas. Symphobia also from project sam (due out soon...) will cover this kinda stuff for whole orchestra.

-T

Thanks, Tmon. The Flutes and Picollos collection looks intriguing... but my main focus was on instruments that don't typically get extra articulations (lower woodwinds, brass, noted percussion). Also, I need these articulations for solo instruments, so the other woodwind libraries offered by Project Sam aren't helpful for my situation.

Is anyone aware of any other options?

You may check out the Xsample libraries. They have a lot of effects, too.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Sheemish View Post
    Thanks, Tmon. The Flutes and Picollos collection looks intriguing... but my main focus was on instruments that don't typically get extra articulations (lower woodwinds, brass, noted percussion). Also, I need these articulations for solo instruments, so the other woodwind libraries offered by Project Sam aren't helpful for my situation.

Is anyone aware of any other options?
    Sounds like you should work with some real players. They have all kinds of articulations!

Thanks, Michael -- I just bought the XSamples Woodwinds, and I'm looking forward to experimenting with them. The demos sounded great. I'll let you know how they work out. I'll probably look into the Project Sam libraries for my next gig, which isn't going to require as much solo instrumentation.

And Metrobot, you have a point. Live instrumentalists are the bomb, and when I'm given the budget to hire them, then I'll certainly do that.

Go Back to forum