• Register
  • Help

Topic: Favorite Laptop Orchestral Lib

Share/Bookmark

Favorite Laptop Orchestral Lib

Would be Kirk Hunter's Sapphire. When I initially bought it, I got it for the strings as I had heard Kirk programs so much flexibility into his string patches. This of course is true but I started messing around with the other sounds when I got Digital Performer 6 (great program BTW) and I was impressed how they worked with one another. I also like the ambience built-in to the sounds.

Nice job Kirk!

Re: Favorite Laptop Orchestral Lib

Look for some new programming soon that will give you greater control over the attack. Also, a new "espressivo" articulation is on the way too.. All free for Sapphire owners, or any Concert String owner for that matter

Truthfully, the stings in Sapphire (Derived from Concert Strings) were recorded pretty dry. It's the attention to writing the release curve that gives them a natural release tail.

Quote Originally Posted by KirkHunter View Post
    Look for some new programming soon that will give you greater control over the attack. Also, a new "espressivo" articulation is on the way too.. All free for Sapphire owners, or any Concert String owner for that matter

Truthfully, the stings in Sapphire (Derived from Concert Strings) were recorded pretty dry. It's the attention to writing the release curve that gives them a natural release tail.
    Very cool sounding!

BTW- what is the main difference between Sapphire and the bigger libs like Emerald and such? There's so much programming and depth to this $99 library I'm almost scared to find out what the larger libraries offer for the higher price.

Sapphire's samples are pitched stretched as much as 3 half steps. Ruby's strings (Concert Strings, Studio Strings, Solo Strings) are sampled every note. Emerald's Symphonic Strings are sampled every whole step and the Chamber and Solo strings are again sampled every note.

Also in Sapphire, you don't get solo strings, chamber strings, studio strings (although you DO get a small portion of the studio violins), concert brass, solo brass, etc. Additionally, Sapphire does not have as many velocity layers (dynamics).

That's just a quick brief on the differences.

I see. I implemented those updated patches for the staccato strings but still cannot get that tight quick string release found in my other libs. I really do like the sound of Sapphire and LOVE working with the Kontakt key switches so I'm really striving to achieve those quick spiccato or staccatisimo articulations with the Sapphire strings since I use those articulations a lot.

Would Emerald allow me to get closer to those short bowed articulations that I crave so much?

BTW I'm using a StudioLogic SL990XP which of course is a fully weighted keyboard. Is the action too heavy to elicit the staccato sounds from the strings based on the programming? I'm just curious.

Go Back to forum