• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: gigastudio v 2.54 no long compatible need suggestions

Share/Bookmark

gigastudio v 2.54 no long compatible need suggestions

I upgraded my computer's sound card and found out my old gigastudio is not compatible with my new sound card, so I guess its time to upgrade my software also. Should I go with the newest gigastudio or should I try something different? theres a lot more options now adays for soft synths I'm wondering if there better software i could try. My music isn't really orchestrial, i make more soulful bluesey music so i dont need the large instrument sections that seem to dominant the giga stuff but I do love the nice live strings and also I like the live horns for immulating horn parts but on the other hand i could really use some synthy stuff since I dont have much on the gigastudio, so I don't know. What would any of you suggest?

Re: gigastudio v 2.54 no long compatible need suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by magnus View Post
    I upgraded my computer's sound card and found out my old gigastudio is not compatible with my new sound card, so I guess its time to upgrade my software also. Should I go with the newest gigastudio or should I try something different? theres a lot more options now adays for soft synths I'm wondering if there better software i could try. My music isn't really orchestrial, i make more soulful bluesey music so i dont need the large instrument sections that seem to dominant the giga stuff but I do love the nice live strings and also I like the live horns for immulating horn parts but on the other hand i could really use some synthy stuff since I dont have much on the gigastudio, so I don't know. What would any of you suggest?
    Well, firstly let's look at the sampler software.
    You mentioned "old Gigastudio" by that I would assume you have either Gigastudio 160 or perhaps Giga version 2?

The latest is of course Gigastudio 4. There is also a great special version called GVI which is essentially a plugin and doesn't give us endusers headaches like the full version of Gigastudio.

Your audio card will need GSIF 2 drivers to run Gigastudio, at least the latest versions. What audio card is it?

Now, I must say you are a prime candidate for switching to Kontakt 3.
    With this, you won't have compatability issues AND you will get a sampler bundle complete with 33gigs of great sounds, covering many genres.
    It also reads Giga files and converts them, as well as old Akai samples.

I have both and really don't bother with Giga anymore it's just too much of a nightmare and Kontakt has become the industry standard, many developers have stopped producing libraries in Giga format.

Kontakt 3 will also give you the sounds you are looking for, well at least a ton of them but if you want a soft synth too, I would look toward something like Spectrasonics Atmosphere. It's a superb product.

Seriously give Kontakt 3 (or even 2) some consideration, you will not be dissapointed.

I'm sure others will join in and add their advice too.
    Good luck.
    2 X Intel i7 920 sys. 12 gigs Ram. XP & Win 7 64
    Cubase 5. Kontakt 4. EWQL C.C.C. (Play)
    Vienna Instruments SE & Plus. Symphobia. GPO.
    RME HDSPe AIO KRK V8s Avalon Vt-747sp
    M-Audio Keystation Pro 88

My two passions. Music and Cooking.
    Both require just the right ingredients....

Quote Originally Posted by Chalfant View Post
    Well, firstly let's look at the sampler software.
    You mentioned "old Gigastudio" by that I would assume you have either Gigastudio 160 or perhaps Giga version 2?

The latest is of course Gigastudio 4. There is also a great special version called GVI which is essentially a plugin and doesn't give us endusers headaches like the full version of Gigastudio.

Your audio card will need GSIF 2 drivers to run Gigastudio, at least the latest versions. What audio card is it?

Now, I must say you are a prime candidate for switching to Kontakt 3.
    With this, you won't have compatability issues AND you will get a sampler bundle complete with 33gigs of great sounds, covering many genres.
    It also reads Giga files and converts them, as well as old Akai samples.

I have both and really don't bother with Giga anymore it's just too much of a nightmare and Kontakt has become the industry standard, many developers have stopped producing libraries in Giga format.

Kontakt 3 will also give you the sounds you are looking for, well at least a ton of them but if you want a soft synth too, I would look toward something like Spectrasonics Atmosphere. It's a superb product.

Seriously give Kontakt 3 (or even 2) some consideration, you will not be dissapointed.

I'm sure others will join in and add their advice too.
    Good luck.
    Some good points there. GVI pretty much replaces GS 2.5. It's a fine program. GS3 is also excellent but difficult to get without the upgrade discount.

GS4 is on my **** list. It's sitting in a box waiting for Tascam to come up with a fix. It won't work on any of my systems.

Kontakt 3 comes with an impressive library. It's stable for me and if you have some of KH's libraries you get a nice crossgrade pricing. Kontakt plays a lot of formats. This has always been Giga's downfall.

Its funny because not long after posting this I looked up and checked out some music using Goliath by ewql and my mind was immediately made up. the depth and quality was amazing. I'll definitely check out kontakt though because I have heard a lot about it but with goliath i have to say i was blown away..

Has anyone on here used goliath?

Its funny because not long after posting this I looked up and checked out some music using Goliath by ewql and my mind was immediately made up. the depth and quality was amazing. I'll definitely check out kontakt though because I have heard a lot about it but with goliath i have to say i was blown away..
    You're comparing two dissimilar products.

Kontakt and Gigastudio are samplers. Goliath is a sample-based software instrument. It uses EastWest's PLAY sample engine to play back samples. Kontakt and Gigastudio have 100's of sample libraries available in their respective formats. PLAY is still a closed-format sampler. And each PLAY library comes with the sampler.

Your old Gigastudio libraries can be imported into Kontakt with some success. Your old Gigastudio libraries would be useless with Goliath, as PLAY cannot import them.

If the instruments in Goliath provide you what you want, then it may be an option.

Quote Originally Posted by tfishbein82 View Post
    You're comparing two dissimilar products.

Kontakt and Gigastudio are samplers. Goliath is a sample-based software instrument. It uses EastWest's PLAY sample engine to play back samples. Kontakt and Gigastudio have 100's of sample libraries available in their respective formats. PLAY is still a closed-format sampler. And each PLAY library comes with the sampler.

Your old Gigastudio libraries can be imported into Kontakt with some success. Your old Gigastudio libraries would be useless with Goliath, as PLAY cannot import them.

If the instruments in Goliath provide you what you want, then it may be an option.

Yea I think goliath has the sound I'm looking for. I haven't recieved it yet though. I wanna look into kontakt too.

Like "tfishbein82" said, you are talking about a sampler and an instrument.

Now, from experience, it's always great to get new sounds but the novelty wares off and then what do you do?
    Answer? You WILL need a sampler at some point and the only one that's worth considering (especially in your situation) is Kontakt.

Just think. 33 gigs of nice sounds and yes, many of them are usable!

Naturally you will want AND need to supliment your sampler with new sounds at some point and since Kontakt IS the standard, just about everything is available to you. Additionally it's nice to stick to standards in this line of work.

Now to return briefly to the subject of Gigastudio.

Tascam had a winner when they purchased this from Nemesys.
    For a few years Gigastudio WAS the only true pro choice and a logical one for all levels. Most Film composers were using it and many still do but just about all of them use Kontakt also.
    BUT...... For the average enduser Tascam blew it. They refused to develop a mac version and whilst they focused on the Windows OS they continued to release versions that were in reality no better than the previous ones. Sure, the feature sets were improved but what's the point when half couldn't use the damn thing!!??

We're now at version 4 and still, no dice for many users.
    Yes, they released GVI which is awesome especially when using standard soundset samples that don't require a lot of editing and the polyphony one gets is amazing! BUT.... It's NOT Gigastudio.

If endusers keep buying this product they will never fix it and it is a complex problem, partially due to the Kernell level at which it runs but there is an answer I feel.

The problem is Native Instruments have taken over, they know it and even if they did fix all the bugs with a newer version 5, I fear it would be too late. They HAVE lost their position in the market and as I said before there are many developers that just don't bother releasing a Giga version of their library. What does that tell you?

Giga is dead and until something new comes along Kontakt will be king.

Now my personal belief is that developers will make their own hosts, such as Garritan and VSL are doing and this could be a good thing in reality.

Whilst the future is not clear, currently Kontakt is a winner and it's rather pointless supporting someones product that will just give you headaches.

Again, good luck and I hope you enjoy those new sounds of Goliath!
    2 X Intel i7 920 sys. 12 gigs Ram. XP & Win 7 64
    Cubase 5. Kontakt 4. EWQL C.C.C. (Play)
    Vienna Instruments SE & Plus. Symphobia. GPO.
    RME HDSPe AIO KRK V8s Avalon Vt-747sp
    M-Audio Keystation Pro 88

My two passions. Music and Cooking.
    Both require just the right ingredients....

I upgraded my computer's sound card and found out my old gigastudio is not compatible with my new sound card, so I guess its time to upgrade my software also.
    Chances are then it won't work with other versions of Gigastudio.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalfant View Post
    Like "tfishbein82" said, you are talking about a sampler and an instrument.

Now, from experience, it's always great to get new sounds but the novelty wares off and then what do you do?
    Answer? You WILL need a sampler at some point and the only one that's worth considering (especially in your situation) is Kontakt.

Just think. 33 gigs of nice sounds and yes, many of them are usable!

Naturally you will want AND need to supliment your sampler with new sounds at some point and since Kontakt IS the standard, just about everything is available to you. Additionally it's nice to stick to standards in this line of work.

Now to return briefly to the subject of Gigastudio.

Tascam had a winner when they purchased this from Nemesys.
    For a few years Gigastudio WAS the only true pro choice and a logical one for all levels. Most Film composers were using it and many still do but just about all of them use Kontakt also.
    BUT...... For the average enduser Tascam blew it. They refused to develop a mac version and whilst they focused on the Windows OS they continued to release versions that were in reality no better than the previous ones. Sure, the feature sets were improved but what's the point when half couldn't use the damn thing!!??

We're now at version 4 and still, no dice for many users.
    Yes, they released GVI which is awesome especially when using standard soundset samples that don't require a lot of editing and the polyphony one gets is amazing! BUT.... It's NOT Gigastudio.

If endusers keep buying this product they will never fix it and it is a complex problem, partially due to the Kernell level at which it runs but there is an answer I feel.

The problem is Native Instruments have taken over, they know it and even if they did fix all the bugs with a newer version 5, I fear it would be too late. They HAVE lost their position in the market and as I said before there are many developers that just don't bother releasing a Giga version of their library. What does that tell you?

Giga is dead and until something new comes along Kontakt will be king.

Now my personal belief is that developers will make their own hosts, such as Garritan and VSL are doing and this could be a good thing in reality.

Whilst the future is not clear, currently Kontakt is a winner and it's rather pointless supporting someones product that will just give you headaches.

Again, good luck and I hope you enjoy those new sounds of Goliath!
    Samplers are basically on the way out. Not just Giga. No one makes a sample library. They have to tie it in with a rompler. Some you can't even edit or mess with the samples.

To me this is what makes older libraries a gem.

Go Back to forum