• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Most natural sounding string quartet library?

Share/Bookmark

Most natural sounding string quartet library?

First-timer, have lurked for a few months--great site.

I'm looking for solo strings to build a string quartet. Mostly pad-type application (ie, don't need fancy articulations, although I'm sure they'll come in hand later), background solo strings for a pop project, but want it to sound as natural or "real" as possible.

I have EW but don't like the solo instruments much at all.

Quick replies appreciated; this is a last-minute addition to a song that gets mixed later this week! Thanks!

Re: Most natural sounding string quartet library?

Good sound, easy to use with a good range of articulations (but not the very widest):

www.kirkhunterstudios.com

Solo strings.

A good price too and very easy to get a good sound 'out of the box'.

I think they are downloadable also.

KittyBoy,

Please don't forget that you aren't likely to get a very fair response here as not all libraries are allowed to be represented. If they don't advertise on the site then the post will be deleted.

So, risking deletion... my suggestion is Dan Dean Solo Strings Advanced.

Quote Originally Posted by bluejay View Post
    KittyBoy,

Please don't forget that you aren't likely to get a very fair response here as not all libraries are allowed to be represented. If they don't advertise on the site then the post will be deleted.

Thanks, bluejay--I wasn't aware of that...

VSL Solo Strings VI is the most realistic I have used. Some of the HALion String Ed. solo strings are quite fine as well. While I love EWQLSO I normally avoid using their solo strings. Some of the shorter articulations, like spiccato work well on Platinum but I find VSL a little more flexible and organic for solo instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by bluejay View Post
    KittyBoy,

My impression is that all libraries can be discussed, but certain ones can not be promoted (group buys, new products, etc.) because they haven't paid for the privilege.
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA
    www.bakersjazzandmore.com

Ah, my mistake. I've never actually had a post banned or deleted but I got the impression that this was the case.

Anyway, all of the suggestions here have been good so far.

Quote Originally Posted by davecos View Post
    VSL Solo Strings VI is the most realistic I have used. Some of the HALion String Ed. solo strings are quite fine as well. While I love EWQLSO I normally avoid using their solo strings. Some of the shorter articulations, like spiccato work well on Platinum but I find VSL a little more flexible and organic for solo instruments.
    Seconded.
    EWQLSO's strength is in creating larger, fuller orchestral sounds-- smaller emsembles do not sound nearly as good.
    I have Appassionata strings and have been very impressed with them, so if VSL's solo string package has a comparable level of quality, they should be pretty good.
    NorthernSounds.NET.
    View Ben Botkin's Profile at NorthernSounds.net
    www.benbotkin.com

X-Samples sound quiet natural to me too. I love VSL but since you're not looking to have loads of articulations it'd be kind of silly to pay that much. But they are the most detailed sample solo strings by far.

It sounds like all the choices here are good so you're gonna have to listen to demos of each and decide what you like best.

X-Samples and KH solo string are available as download so you might save on shipping and custom fees in some cases, and you will get it sooner... At least i think KH are available as download?...

Kirk Hunter are available as downloads and the Chamber Strings download (around $159 I believe) has some great chamber strings that would probably fit the need very nicely.

-LFO
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Go Back to forum