• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO Piano - truncated notes

Share/Bookmark

GPO Piano - truncated notes

I can not determine the cause of seriously truncated notes on one track. I can copy the track, and of course, copy the problem, which in many cases, actually clears the problem. I have two other piano tracks, not problems. I have checked controller view, note length, etc, but find no cause. I would hate to input that all again, 436 or so measures! A strange feature is that if I transpose that track only, the problem vanishes. But as soon as everything is in the same key, the problem appears. The problem does not occur if I use a sound device other than GPO. Any ideas?

Richard

Re: GPO Piano - truncated notes

Which host application are you using? I have seen this happen in Sonar 6 and it is not restricted to GPO. (I have seen it occur with JABB, with the acoustic guitar track.) And it does not happen in every project. But if it does happen in one of them, there is apparently no way to get rid of the problem permanently. There is a work around, however.

Removing the instance of the instrument from Kontakt 2 (or the Kontakt player) and then reinstalling the instrument restores the proper length to the note values. But if I edit the track again, the problem returns. Copying the track after it has been fixed doesn't help either. So, I just have to delete and then re-add the problem instrument anytime I edit anything int he problem project.

I am not sure what is causing it. If you are not using Sonar, we can possibly rule out the host application as being at fault. That would narrow it down to either hardware or Kontakt.

I don't think it is with Garritan products because I have had similar issues with other sample libraries using the Kontakt format. (Not exactly the same, though. For example, I have one project where a KH bass instrument loses its volume -- i.e. cc7 -- setting unless I start playing the project back from the beginning. Sonar successfully searches back to get the cc7 settings from all the other tracks. And the KH bass instrument does not have this problem in any other project.)

Same note on two different tracks with a slight overlap? That would kill the second note, when the first note stops. I have experienced this myself.

Well, I am using Sonar 4.1. The problem was present even when I played the track solo with GPO Steinway, but not when I played it with Roland JV 1010. However, I just now discovered that with either sound source, the problem occurs when playing all tracks.

Nickie got it almost perfectly right. Same note, different track, shorter duration, both starting at the same time. The note off message of the shorter note prevailed. Even when the track was muted the note off screwed up the length of the longer note! What I did was to delete the offending track and that removed the problem. I restored the track, and removed the problem notes, and problem was gone. So now I know what I have to work with, which makes things much easier, as that track was due for considerable modification whereas the truncated note track will remain nearly intact.

So, thank you both for your help. Now I can get on with the business of creating the music! (and regulating my piano!!)

Richard

Go Back to forum