• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: !!!! Looking For More Appassionata Strings Demos

Share/Bookmark

!!!! Looking For More Appassionata Strings Demos

hi there :=)

I'm , unfortunately, less and less convinced by Appassionata strings sound ( Volume 1 )

The more I listen to them the more I find the sound ackward. Perhaps its due to the mixing of the demos ? ( the mixing sound quite same on all the demos, although it's not mixed by the same person) Its like the strings are far in the room and not "present".
    the performance sound good ( legato ,etc ) but the mixing seems weird :/
    I considered buying them but I feel i'll regret it.

I'm looking for some other demos of these strings, please.

Feel free to talk about the sound of appassionata strings

Thanks,

Rom

Re: !!!! Looking For More Appassionata Strings Demos

Quote Originally Posted by JohnCarter View Post

I'm , unfortunately, less and less convinced by Appassionata strings sound ( Volume 1 )

The more I listen to them the more I find the sound ackward. Perhaps its due to the mixing of the demos ? ( the mixing sound quite same on all the demos, although it's not mixed by the same person) Its like the strings are far in the room and not "present".

Thanks,

Rom
    I had just finished a piece under comments please. Its not perfect...But I am in the learning stage of sibelius yet, and of course mixing. But I never really noticed the demos being far back in the room. I will check the demos out again. Best, Joseph

I bought it and almost I never use it.

I think I might use it for some legato passages in certain pieces though.

VSL strings, in general, are never good.
    Pedro Macedo Camacho
    Composer
    musicbypedro.com

Quote Originally Posted by JohnCarter View Post

Thanks,

Rom
    I mix it with other VSL strings and love the result.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcussen View Post
    I mix it with other VSL strings and love the result.
    Any audios extract for us ?

John,

Maybe its time to revisit JBacal and the Vaughan Williams Fantasy:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ghlight=tallis

Yeah I see that you were active in this thread back then. Its still an excellent comparison of VSL Appassionata, Chamber, Solo and String ensembles. As Jay there says, Appassionata are orchestra 1. I recommend get your hands on the score and it will make a lot more sense -you'll get a good sense of the Appassionatas relatively speaking.

I think the mix is -pretty good !! I dont see how theres anything inherent in the samples that makes them less spatially 'present' - particularly as with the VSL strings as we all know- they're so dry - the space depends on the convolution verb used.

Im not a user of these - *yet* - but I agree, I'd like to hear some 'disspassionata' feedback from some level headed users, who arent on the payroll!

But I have to say - I suspect from what Ive heard, they really are the bees knees. For now.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Camacho View Post
    I bought it and almost I never use it.

I think I might use it for some legato passages in certain pieces though.

VSL strings, in general, are never good.
    It sounds like you're fishing for another library war. This statement struck me as absolutely absurd, and though I probably shouldn't, I have to bite here. What library do you use for strings, and please post some examples for all of us to hear! I've been searching for this holy grail of instrument sampling, and so far my take is that VSL is the closest option.

Personally, I think the App Strings is the best string collection out there- for great, expressive legato lines, and also for realistic, fast runs. The shorter articulations aren't quite as brilliant, but I find them useful every day I sit down to write. Even some cool textural patches, random pizz and clusters.

Most of my work, lately, has been in the legato territory, though I'm writing a huge action cue as we speak. I hope the App Strings don't let me down!!

Example 1

Example 2

Example 3

These are combinations of all the VSL strings. However, when I want a melody to really SING, I always go for the App Cellos and Violas. Those are amazing instruments.

-Alex

Quote Originally Posted by AlexDavis View Post
    It sounds like you're fishing for another library war. This statement struck me as absolutely absurd, and though I probably shouldn't, I have to bite here. What library do you use for strings, and please post some examples for all of us to hear! I've been searching for this holy grail of instrument sampling, and so far my take is that VSL is the closest option.

Personally, I think the App Strings is the best string collection out there- for great, expressive legato lines, and also for realistic, fast runs. The shorter articulations aren't quite as brilliant, but I find them useful every day I sit down to write. Even some cool textural patches, random pizz and clusters.

Most of my work, lately, has been in the legato territory, though I'm writing a huge action cue as we speak. I hope the App Strings don't let me down!!

Example 1

Example 2

Example 3

These are combinations of all the VSL strings. However, when I want a melody to really SING, I always go for the App Cellos and Violas. Those are amazing instruments.

-Alex
    Alex, they were some fantastic demos. Really enjoyed them a lot. Very impressive...Wonderful work..Best, Joseph

Quote Originally Posted by AlexDavis View Post

Example 1

Example 2

Example 3

-Alex
    not really convinced :/
    except for the beginning of example3

What's your issue with the sound? mix? arrangement? I'd love some feedback-

I'm the first to admit that replicating a live string section is currently an impossible feat. However, I still can't find a library that does it better than VSL's App.

-Alex

Go Back to forum