• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Equilibrium (GPO+JABB+Steinway) - JAMIE KOWALSKI

Share/Bookmark

Arrow Equilibrium (GPO+JABB+Steinway) - JAMIE KOWALSKI

Equilibrium for Orchestra and Piano (2007, revised 2008)

Download mp3 - 14MB
    Download pdf score

Some of you may remember my posting the original version of this "non-concerto" a year and a half ago on this forum. This is a much-updated version of the work in both the writing and realization, neither of which I had been completely satisfied with.

After getting the Garritan Steinway, I planned to update the recording by simply dropping in the new library, and maybe tweaking the velocities a bit. But what should have been a one day job turned into months of work. This is what happens when I start poking around in my old pieces. All of the "could-have-been-betters" that have been building up in my mind finally had to have their way. But finally I am satisfied with this work.

Instrumentation: 3/3/3/3 (+picc, E.h., b. clar., c-bsn); 4/3/3/1; timpani; percussion (4 players); strings; piano

Most of the orchestra is GPO except for JABB trumpets, JABB trombones (2 out of 3), a woodblock sample from K2 library, and of course the Garritan Steinway. I used Sonar 7PE and four instances of Perfect Space convolution reverb for different parts of the stage.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Re: Equilibrium (GPO+JABB+Steinway) - JAMIE KOWALSKI

Really great composition, Jamie.

Loved the change of pace at about 4m 20s. Also, the
    walking bass line at about 6m 20s.

A lot going on even though there are only a few instruments
    playing at one time. A sign of great writing.

The balance and rendering is very well done. Everything sounds
    so real. Crescendos and sFz add great impact and punch in their
    respective places.

I note all of these points as I listen...........and, it's always a
    pleasure to listen to your music, Jaimie.

Terrific ending too...........

BRAVO,

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Shivers!
    Merely exceptional work. Transitions so tight and clean you need a score to find them. So many unique voicings. Absolute control and artistry of instruments. Subtle, subtle shadings and great dynamics. Without fracturing the ears, it assaults the Muse. Inspired creative imagery and energy. Just a fine piece of work. It must have taken hundred of hours to achieve.

The French word nuance voiced in sound.

Wow. Simply Wow.

I'm keepin' my copy, thank you.

tony h
    tony h
    Master Comp. P5 deluxe intel dual core, Windows XP Pro, 4G ram, HD's=OS Audio, two samples, Cubase 3/4 , GVI Kirk Hunter Concert strings, KH Concert brass, Emerald, Miroslav strings, brass, Quantum Leap brass. DAW and Master comp by pcaudiolabs- Slave Comp for VI only, Gigabyte Intel ,8G ram, ethernet, Windows Vista Ultimatex64, VI Ensemble,VI SE Appasionata strings.

Yeah, this is much better. The old version was really garbage!

It's more like splitting the atoms from a strand of hair to my ears. But your music is always something special to listen to so thanks for posting the update.

It did have more musical interest in it.

Phil

It is simply fantastic ! I was drawn and bound from the very first moment. The orchestration is impeccable, coloring the mood in the finest of detail. I can only say, bravo. Thank you.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhap2 View Post
    Really great composition, Jamie.
    Hi Jack!

Thanks for taking the time out for the listen.

Loved the change of pace at about 4m 20s. Also, the walking bass line at about 6m 20s.

A lot going on even though there are only a few instruments playing at one time. A sign of great writing.
    I appreciate this sentiment. Part of what I did in the revision was to try to clarify the "lot going on" aspect of it. I feel myself teatering on the edge of too much at some points, and have been paring things down in all my works lately. I haven't written anything with this size orchestra since this piece, as clearing out all the mud is a lot of work.

The balance and rendering is very well done. Everything sounds so real. Crescendos and sFz add great impact and punch in their respective places.
    Thanks, Jack. I had a lot of time listening to the first version and nitpicking myself to death about balance and dynamics. I can say without a doubt that this was the most difficult mix I've ever done. I think I gave the old CC#1 a monster of a workout.

I note all of these points as I listen...........and, it's always a pleasure to listen to your music, Jaimie.

Terrific ending too...........
    Thanks again.
    - Jamie Kowalski

Quote Originally Posted by jamiha View Post
    Shivers!
    Merely exceptional work. Transitions so tight and clean you need a score to find them. So many unique voicings. Absolute control and artistry of instruments. Subtle, subtle shadings and great dynamics. Without fracturing the ears, it assaults the Muse. Inspired creative imagery and energy. Just a fine piece of work. It must have taken hundred of hours to achieve.
    Hi Tony,

Thank you for the extremely kind review.

I don't know how long it took in total since it was stretched over a long time period and I don't generally keep track, but it likely was several hundred hours. This is a sure sign that I didn't have a deadline!

The French word nuance voiced in sound.

Wow. Simply Wow.

I'm keepin' my copy, thank you.

tony h
    Keeping a copy is the ultimate compliment. Many thanks to you!
    - Jamie Kowalski

Kowalski pieces, once heard, instantly become old friends for
    me; and Equilibrium is no exception... recalled with affection
    from prior hearing; a familiar beacon of superb writing, happily
    encountered once again.

The rework on this is gorgeous, Jamie -- and not just the
    spot-on rendering: the interpretation and "conducting" of it
    lend it both greater nuance than I remember and likewise
    impart a strength and energy and vibrancy consistent with
    the writing.

As I said earlier (but this time with a few more high cards
    added)...

Bravo!

All my best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Jamie:

What a lovely piece of music. There are so many things to like about it that I'm not sure where to start

It certainly is recognizable as your music and that is perhaps the most important comment.

I love the over all restarined feeling from the beginning through the numerous "explosions" of feeling to the slightly unresolved feeling of the final chord.

Your restrained use of the piano throughout is indeed masterful.

I love the use of the lower brass - their occasional clusters are lovely.

The way you manage to keep the pulse alive throughout is characteristic to me of your writing.

Well done.

David Mauney

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    Yeah, this is much better. The old version was really garbage!

It's more like splitting the atoms from a strand of hair to my ears. But your music is always something special to listen to so thanks for posting the update.

It did have more musical interest in it.
    Hi Phil,

Thanks for the smile. I don't mind if you don't hear the difference... greatly outweighed by the fact that you actually listened to it again. Though I'm sure you would hear the changes if they were placed side by side. In some sections there were actual changes in harmony, some added counter-melody, and there are lots of instrumentation changes throughout.

I appreciate the kind words.
    - Jamie Kowalski

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast