• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: O Canada

Share/Bookmark

O Canada

I know last week was a little competition to celebrate July 4th and the USA Independence Day as well as July 1st in celebration of Canada. With all my respect and honor I would submit this piece for no competition but just listening pleasure. I believe the Canadian National Anthem is a beautiful piece of music with rich harmonies. I, unfortunately did not see it represented in the above mentioned competition. Therefore, with great respect and the joy of music, I give you my interpretation of:

O Canada
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Re: O Canada

ah... um... er....

O Canada as a pop song.

I honestly don't know whether to be offended or intrigued.

I know that Americans are used to pop singers doing "renditions" of their own anthem, and turning it into a "power ballad" complete with those nauseatingly long vocal cadenzas on the final phrase, but it just hasn't been my experience with O Canada.

Well, it's a great arrangement... just, sort of sacriligious to me.

If you are offended, I will pull it. I do not mean any disrespect and did not intend it. I deeply apologize.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    If you are offended, I will pull it. I do not mean any disrespect and did not intend it. I deeply apologize.
    no, no, that wasn't my intent either.

like I said, it was a question of feeling caught between two emotional states.

part of me was sort of offended by the "popularization" aspect of it.
    another part of me appreciated the work you put into it. it WAS very well done.

I saw no reason for you to remove the link.

Thanks again for the clarification, qccowboy. I know National Anthems hold a strong pride for individuals and I by no means wish to offend. There are versions of "The Star-Spangled Banner" that I find short of tasteful as well and I did not want this to be the same for Canadians.

The link is re-established. The arrangement is out of deepest respect and admiration for Canada and a very well harmonized National Anthem.

Rich

I wasn't familiar with Oh Canada so I got up to speed on it. This sounds like a nice, tasteful arrangement of it.

It's kind of a PBS version I guess. Well done!

I noticed it does share one musical similarity with our national anthem. They both use a word with a long e for the high note to torture the singer. Canada's ends with it which is really scary.

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    I noticed it does share one musical similarity with our national anthem. They both use a word with a long e for the high note to torture the singer. Canada's ends with it which is really scary.

Actually, technically, the final syllable is not an "ee" sound, since the original lyrics were in French. It was composed with lyrics ending on the word "Droits" (rights), pronounced "dr-wah".

And technically, the American national anthem had its lyrics added "after the fact" since the tune is originally that of a drinking song.

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy View Post
    And technically, the American national anthem had its lyrics added "after the fact" since the tune is originally that of a drinking song.
    I'll drink to that!

For those that would like to know the history here is a short synopsis of the melody:

When the handbills were printed, they bore the name of this tune to which the poem should be sung - To Anacreon In Heaven. Somewhat ironically, this is a song written for a British drinking club!
    The Anacreontic Society was a popular genetlemen's drinking club, based in a pub in the Strand, London. The words of the song had been written by the society's president, Ralph Tomlinson, but the tune is more of a mystery.
    At one time, the English composer Dr Thomas Arnold was thought to be its composer - Arnold had written numerous songs for the society. However, it is now accepted that the tune was probably written collectively by a group of members, led by John Stafford Smith, probably in 1771.

And for those that would like to read the whole story (hmm, sounds like Paul Harvey) it can be found at this link:

The Story of the Star Spangled Banner

As for O Canada, here is a short synopsis of its origins:

Calixa Lavallée may have been a simple music teacher in Quebec, but he was also known as "Canada's nationional musician". It was for this reason that he was commissioned to set a poem written by Judge Adolphe-Basile Routhier to music. The song would be played during the 'Congrès National des Canadiens-Français' (National Congress of French-Canadians), which would be held on the same day as the St. Jean-Baptiste Day celebrations, June 24, 1880.

Again for the whole story you can go here:

O Canada History
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Ok that does it! I'm submitting my arrangement of God Save the Queen! All joking aside (although I do have an real arrangement of G S the Queen which really needs to be reworked-it was the very first song I learned to play on the piano with two hands)

Thanks for thinking of us up here. A really thoughtful gesture!

I really liked the background strings you did and the improvised piano towards the end. i don't know if the song lends itself to this genre but you never know unless you try.

Thanks again for posting and thinking of us.

Del
    Music happens to be an art form that transcends language. - Herbie Hancock

http://www.mdtcommunications.com

fastlane said: [QUOTE]I wasn't familiar with Oh Canada so I got up to speed on it. This sounds like a nice, tasteful arrangement of it.

It's kind of a PBS version I guess. Well done!
    [/QUOTE]
    I thought everyone has heard the Canadian national anthem here in the USA (with hockey, the Olympics and all). It is a very beautiful piece of music. I'm not sure what you mean by "PBS version", so I'm not sure that was a compliment or not. I just tried to give it a gospel pop feel and let the strength of the harmonies carry it through.

Thanks for the comments.

Rich

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast