• Register
  • Help

Topic: Aleph Null

Share/Bookmark

Aleph Null

This is my 4th or 5th attempt at composing a piece since I returned from my 6 week class at the University of MD. Although we did play around with the concept of Aleph Null, I have used it many times in the past.

This one I did this evening and uses the GPO Piano and Strings and a couple of other libraries and was composed by playing my keyboard into Sonar.

Aleph-null is by definition the cardinality of the set of all Natural Numbers and is the smallest of all infinite cardinalities. A set has cardinality Aleph Null, if and only if it is Countably Infinite, which is the case if and only if it can be put into a bijection with the natural numbers, (being both one-to one and onto or in other words, is both an injection and a surjection).

Here it is
    http://www.box.net/shared/23hak514wk

I know I am not the greatest piano player, but I try and remember, I haven't played in 6 weeks.

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Re: Aleph Null

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer View Post
    Aleph-null is by definition the cardinality of the set of all Natural Numbers and is the smallest of all infinite cardinalities. A set has cardinality Aleph Null, if and only if it is Countably Infinite, which is the case if and only if it can be put into a bijection with the natural numbers, (being both one-to one and onto or in other words, is both an injection and a surjection).
    C'est quoi ?!!

I have simply no idea what you just said.... But, the music I understand....

It is great ! I love the drama and threads of thought running wild. Great job. Thank you.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

An intriguing soundscape, Ron... I'd be interested to see
    the score to this.

Although I can't quite say I understand the relationship
    to aleph numbers (perhaps there's no x in my X to match
    the y in my Y... lol) -- this has a wonderful wave-like
    motion through it... soothing and disturbing at once.

Perhaps you could elucidate the mathematical underpinnings
    for us?

As a side note, gosh, hope you can find your way to the
    G.Steinway -- it would sound gorgeous within a big, grand,
    flowing panorama like this!

Always my best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer View Post

A set has cardinality Aleph Null, if and only if it is Countably Infinite, which is the case if and only if it can be put into a bijection with the natural numbers, (being both one-to one and onto or in other words, is both an injection and a surjection).
    ...and here all along I thought it was TRIjection into UNnatural numbers!! No wonder I can't do math!!

Now for your music... this just gives me further reason to be such a fan of yours, Ron! I'm enthralled by the sounds you put together here, and the resulting mood you created. Great use of the horn section in this one --providing just the right amount of drama -- so tempting to overdo, but done here with restraint and taste. You continue to make great use of combined libraries; it isn't as easy as it would seem to always meld them as seamlessly as you do. The layoff did you no harm; in fact, it may have served to ripen up those creative juices even more, from the sound of this... great stuff (as always)!

Danny

Thumbs up Re: Aleph Null

Ron:

Wha'd he say???????

I hear elements of the "blues" and what Gerswhin might have been doing, were he still writing today. I mean this in the most complimentary way. It is both a fun piece and a deep intellectual experience at the same time.
    Whooeee!

Steve

(I think I went to school with Alfie Null)

Go Back to forum