• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Notation and Sequencing - without mouse

Share/Bookmark

Notation and Sequencing - without mouse

Frequently, the subject of the demise of the computer mouse appears in the news, citing the touch screen as it's successor. To me, this appears as a catastrophe. I see so many problems that I hope it does not happen. Can someone explain how it can handle the graphic details? How about the wearying of arms that would have to reach all areas of the screen with incredible finger tip accuracy? Would not sitting so close to the screen generate visual problems? I expect many more objections can be made. These are just a few for starters.

Richard

Re: Notation and Sequencing - without mouse

Hi Richard,

Having been in the "business" many years, this topic comes up now and then. Touch screens are most useful for field applications, things like kiosks, the DMV, and such, that require a simple interface with minimal hardware that otherwise might be broken or stolen. Mobile computing would be another good application.

The "home" environment would not be a likely candidate for a touch screen...no need, and there are (or should be) better solutions. And as you say, who wants to lean over and smear up their 30" wide-screen monitor all day?

The mouse is often vilified as an input device. And rightly so. It's not particularly good for graphics, drawing, painting, etc. because it's just not very natural. A actual pen or a brush on the drawing surface is natural. It does however get the job done. Likewise, for notation, the mouse is not particularly adept at manipulating note heads, slur lines, etc. It gets the job done, but other more natural and intuitive input devices could be designed, and I highly doubt touch screens would fall into that category.

Universality is the overriding strength of the mouse. Which brings to mind an old engineers' saying something along the lines of: "Standards are not optimums" (optimae?), or "A standard device is rarely an optimum device". In fact, standards are usually a bare minimum, which is exactly what we have with the mouse. It points at things in a plane out of the line of sight and perpendicular to the actual viewing plane. And then you can click at the thing.

Don't worry, mice will be around a long time, for the very reasons you cite.

Well, thanks, Darwin. I certainly agree that the mouse gets the job done, even though not the best way. But it seems the best currently available. The pens I have tried are not good. Maybe a joystick? You certainly clearly nailed the best use of the touch screens.

I look forward to a better mouse or pen or whatever. Sometimes I have to really fuss and sweat to get what I want with a mouse!

Richard

I for one would like some innovative company to make software that would use the Wacom Cintiq (display/pen pad in one) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE2APo_EORQ and be able to enter notes manually on the screen and have them converted automatically to computer notation. This technology certainly isn't new. Back in the 80s we had similar technology in CAD systems from Applicon and others.

No keyboard (qwerty or 88-key) nor mouse required...

Keith W.

P.S.-Even better- check this out: http://www.freehandsystems.com/products.html
    Now if this could just be used as an input mechanism as well as playback...
    Last edited by KeithW; 07-18-2008 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Addition

I would just love for my kids to stop touching the screen! All that oily finger grease smeared all ova! One thing is for certain though, Windex glass cleaner stock will increase in value!
    Styxx

There's no need to worry about losing the mouse. No matter what else is invented and generally accepted by the public, people will still want a mouse option.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Quote Originally Posted by Skysaw View Post
    There's no need to worry about losing the mouse. No matter what else is invented and generally accepted by the public, people will still want a mouse option.

Funny, I used to say the same thing about my tape splicing block.

Quote Originally Posted by Gustov Varbirski View Post
    Funny, I used to say the same thing about my tape splicing block.
    I'm sure the splicing block still works fine. Have you tested it lately?
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Quote Originally Posted by Skysaw View Post
    I'm sure the splicing block still works fine. Have you tested it lately?

Ain't got a dang thing to test it on.

Besides, it's the splicing tape that's probably gone bad.

Quote Originally Posted by jjloving View Post
    I'm up for this. IF it works. Call me nutty, but I hate the mouse. Cord catching on everything behind the desk - so I went wireless, now it randomly loses connection so death to the mouse!
    I hear you there. I use the keyboard for short cuts as often as I can so I don't have to use the mouse. Much faster. I, too, went cordless for the very same reason. But like yours, it also loses connections at times. I also have to press really hard on the buttons of the *(^&*(%&(^#* thing to get it to work. What I really want is something that will read my thoughts and put the music into the computer without touching anything. No mouse. No keyboard.
    Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

Go Back to forum