• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Controllers - Rotary Dials or Faders?

Share/Bookmark

Controllers - Rotary Dials or Faders?

Hi there,

I have a KorgM1 as my controller, and I'm finally coming around to the idea that i need more controller options with some of the new instruments I'm getting, like the Trumpet. So here's my question:

Do you prefer rotary nobs, or faders? And what controller do you use? I'm thinking of getting a 2-Octave keyboard with onboard controllers to supplement my M1 (and serve as a travel keyboard). I think I prefer faders, cuz I want to have easy access to the entire range 0-127. I'm thinking that with a twisty nob, if you start twisting and run out of finger twistiness, you have to stop, move your fingers around, and then keep on going, which means you get uneven changes. But that's just my theory. Any comments on the accuracy of that theory, or does it not matter?

I ask mainly cuz I'm having a heck of a time finding 2octave (or so) controllers with any faders at all, and wonder if I should just get over it.

Thanks for your tips!

Re: Controllers - Rotary Dials or Faders?

Do you consider adding one of the Beringer series like the BCF2000? It's quiet cheap.

edited: I guess i should add that I'm not even sure you can use the BCF2000 to control synth parameters so... Anyone know about this?

Quote Originally Posted by geronimo001 View Post
    Do you consider adding one of the Beringer series like the BCF2000? It's quiet cheap.
    Well I have thought of getting just some sliders with no keyboard, so that's something to consider. Yah, Behringer is cheap, but they are also very low quality and they break a lot.

I'm a fader kind of guy

I have an M-Audio Axiom, which I've been happy with... It has knobs and faders, and I pretty much only use the faders (& modwheel of course).
    Dana DiAnda
    www.ci-studios.com

I like good quality 'heavy' knobs like the ones on the Nord lead keyboards, etc. I never really run out of room for twisting them from end to end.

Quote Originally Posted by metrobot View Post
    Well I have thought of getting just some sliders with no keyboard, so that's something to consider. Yah, Behringer is cheap, but they are also very low quality and they break a lot.
    Not the first time i hear this... Too bad!

..but look! This guy got it working pretty good! lol...

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=tHHpHU...eature=related

I like faders beter personally. I have an m-audio axiom 61, I don't think the two octave version has faders though. Still, a great keyboard in my opinion.

--Richard

Quote Originally Posted by geronimo001 View Post
    Not the first time i hear this... Too bad!

..but look! This guy got it working pretty good! lol...

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=tHHpHU...eature=related
    lol, good video!

I'm thinking from the comments that I might just retire the M1 and get a new 61key controller with faders and knobs onboard. M-Audio does look pretty good at the lower price range....

Quote Originally Posted by metrobot View Post
    Yah, Behringer is cheap, but they are also very low quality and they break a lot.
    That may have been true in the past, but certainly not these days. Behringer's quality control is now better than that of many 'big name' companies.

They have their own manufacturing facility of over 1 million sq ft in China and even make things like speaker cones now.

Check youtube for: behringer factory. Apart from their own promo, you'll find a 2 part objecive one by the editor of AudioTechnology mag.

PS, I don't have affiliations with Behringer, but own some of their products.

Go Back to forum