• Register
  • Help

Topic: Bruckner's last testament!

Share/Bookmark

Cool Bruckner's last testament!

Hi everybody,

I surfed youtube some days ago and found out that the last movement of Bruckner's ninth symphony has been reconstructed and orchestrated from his last scetches before he died!

Bruckner represents the holy grail of symphonic art for me, so I want to share his last testament for everyone to hear!

Thanks David Sosnowski and Bill Valhalx for supporting this initiative!

1 part of 3

2 part of 3

3 part of 3

Here is also a fantastic passage from a previous mov in the ninth

enjoy,

Fred

Re: Bruckner's last testament!

Thanks for sharing this. I hadn't seen / heard it before.

While I consider Mahler to be the pinnacle of orchestral expression, Bruckner is certainly high on the list. When I want to be introspective in a very loud way, only Bruckner can suffice. To me, he was almost the first minimalist - albeit a highly romanticised minimalist - nothing wrong with that.

Smile Re: Bruckner's last testament!

Quote Originally Posted by ALynn View Post
    Thanks for sharing this. I hadn't seen / heard it before.

While I consider Mahler to be the pinnacle of orchestral expression, Bruckner is certainly high on the list. When I want to be introspective in a very loud way, only Bruckner can suffice. To me, he was almost the first minimalist - albeit a highly romanticised minimalist - nothing wrong with that.
    Mahler was the reason I started to compose,

I remember the first time I heard Leonard Bernstein conduct Mahler's ninth. I was bewitched by Mahler after that! I immediately rushed to the store to buy all of his symphonies.
    He also supported Bruckner when poor Anton had problems at the premier of his 3rd symphony. The conductor had just died, and Bruckner was forced to step up and with short notice conduct himself, also being unprepared.
    In the audience sat the vicious Edouard Hanslick. Hanslick had already written a mean article about Anton's music, so half of the audience left as soon as Edouard decided to leave the concert. Bruckner went on conducting until the end, feeling very depressed by the cold reception of his dear symphony.
    But luckily, a known publisher was present that day and wanted to publish Bruckner's 3rd. Mahler helped with arranging the piano version of Anton's symphony.

Well! I hope you enjoy my story from a Bruckner biography I have read many times, Lynn, sorry I don't know your first name!
    If Bruckner is the holy grail for me, then Mahler is the holy spirit of symphonies, lol!

Thanks for enjoying Anton's music and showing your sincere appreciation!

By the way! I just remembered something hilarious from a movie about Bruckner: "Brahms is music from the brain, Wagner is music from the balls, Bruckner is music from GOD"

Fred

Go Back to forum