• Register
  • Help

Topic: Andante Grazioso

Share/Bookmark

Andante Grazioso

It began as an exercise with Overture. On top of the string orchestral tracks I'd put as a piano-track the Full Strings and fiddled around with chords (recording in Overture). Next I began to improvise and suddenly this emerged into this lovely piece.

Andante Grazioso
    (and a bit of a Rondo)

It seems important for some of you.
    Statistics:

Improvisation and recording in/with Overture and my Oberheim keyboard : 3 hrs.;
    Notating, amending and arranging the piece into this one: 27 hrs.;
    Corrections and adding some new phrases: 2 hrs.;
    Sonar rendering: one full day (already had the setup as a template).

Enjoy as I did when composing this piece,

Raymond
    [yes, I used a handful of classical clichés, but who cares]

Re: Andante Grazioso

Raymond

Cliches? I guess that is the nice way to say stole some themes. I know I couldn't get anywhere without stealing something that has already been composed. In fact, it would be very difficult to compose a piece that wouldn't be part of something else. I think the trick is knowing how to put the stolen parts together and that is where we get to excel as you have done here.

Very nice work as always.

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Hi Raymond,

I find this delightful and very soothing. The quirky polka provides an excellent main theme while the reflective digressions between often remind me of a little French accordion cafe. All done very "gracefully".

My only technical suggestion is that the strings seem a little out of balance. I am straining to hear the cellos and bass, while the top two string lines seem rather forward; however, this may be the effect you want.

Thank you for posting this light and lovely music!

It is lovely!

It just floats along like two lovers in a boat on a lake in the summer. But like all relationships the waters are not always completely calm.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by DarwinKopp View Post
    My only technical suggestion is that the strings seem a little out of balance. I am straining to hear the cellos and bass, while the top two string lines seem rather forward; however, this may be the effect you want.
    I don't know what you mean by this. Please explain. I noticed in the MP3 version quite a loss of massive sounds.

Raymond

Thank you all for the comments. Steeling themes? Maybe and the problem with those daily heard music from the radio is, that we really don't know where and when we heard those melodies. But this is not new. All composers seemed to have adapted some melodies as their own.

Next time I do something completely original, I hope

Raymond

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DarwinKopp

I don't know what you mean by this. Please explain. I noticed in the MP3 version quite a loss of massive sounds.
    Oh, sorry I wasn't clear. I mean either the violins (1st & 2nd) are a bit too loud or the cellos and basses aren't quite loud enough. I guess that means the viola is just right.

I mean either the violins (1st & 2nd) are a bit too loud or the cellos and basses aren't quite loud enough. I guess that means the viola is just right.
    Oh. Will look into this. Thank you. The problem with some "sayings" or common sentences in your language is, that sometimes one needs a dictionary to get it all clear. The word STRAINING made it harder to understand for me.

By the way, I did the rendering with headphones only, because my monitors are out of order now, - some technical issues. As soon as they are back in business I will re-render this piece.

Raymond

Hi Raymond,

Your skill as a composer has always been quite evident, but your skill in rendering and your "mixing chops" in particular have improved tremendously over the past several months or so. This was a delight to listen to, with very little to quibble about in the rendering. Thanks for posting!

Danny

I believe I mentioned this piece briefly in another post,
    but more in terms of the rendering, Raymond... and
    the piece wears an additional listen well.

There's a certain "old world" elegance and grace to this
    that I find very appealing and even soothing in its
    relaxed pacing and presentation. That whole sentiment
    seems to have been lost from the world for decades, now.

Well done, my friend; and a welcome breath of calm in
    a world that, I am convinced, has largely gone mad.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum