• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Purrrfect Drums - official demo now posted

Share/Bookmark

Purrrfect Drums - official demo now posted

I\'ve posted the long overdue \'official\' Purrrfect Drums demo.

Have a listen...
    http://www.studiocat.com/HTM/pdaudex.htm

Jim Roseberry www.studiocat.com

Re: Purrrfect Drums - official demo now posted

Great demo! The drums sound absolutely amazing!

Kip

i dont need another drum library but am so curious abou this one from the raves.

what exactly is a quick start kit?

Again I dislike the snare sound. I think it could sound better with EQ and mixing.

I think so far everytime I hear a demo of this library it just sounds too \"clean\".

Still, I\'ve learned that \"rough demos\" and \"unmixed\" demos aren\'t enough to judge what the library could possibly do....

and Jim, I\'ll replay some of that guitar for ya, no offense but some of it is pretty yucky sounding.

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

i was considering the library, but after the demo i think i\'ll pass. sounds very midi-ish to me. some of the snare drags and stuff really give it away. maybe it\'s just a quick demo, but nothing to make me run and buy. best drums i\'ve heard is an old cd called burning grooves that has some awesome slamming kits ......

I agree this is not very encouraging:/... sounds like it was recorded in a totally dead small booth.

There is quiet a variety of snare drums, which are available, and Jim has provided a few of these snares in his \"Purrrfect Drums\" collection. The snares that are provided in this collection are very well captured with quality in these samples, but no doubt some people have different preferences for snares, which is okay. In all honesty, you cannot say that the snares in this collection are not good, just because it is not the particular snare sound that you are wanting in particular.

Now, I would like to make a very frank statement...

The cymbals in Jim\'s \"Purrrfect Drums\" collection are absolutely the MOST AMAZING sampled cymbals that I have ever heard!!!

Jim has this entire \"Purrrfect Drums\" collection priced at $250 USD. There is a HUGE COLLECTION OF CYMBALS in this collection. There are over 15 GIGABYTES of samples in this collection on eight compressed CD\'s.

Considering the many thousands of samples that are contained in this sampled drum set collection, IT IS ONE HECK OF A BARGAIN, priced at ONLY $250. Such a collection with so much work and detail as this, normally sells for $1,000.

The cymbals alone without any snares, toms, kick drums, etc., are worth at least $600, but you get these wonderful cymbals plus all of these other quality drums for only $250!

We should all be very grateful that Jim is providing such high quality as this for very little money!

Kind regards,

Kip
    Bardstown Audio www.bardstownaudio.com

Whoa!!!!!!!!

Are you guys listening to the same demo! I am using Purrrfect drums every day on every project that I do. I say this with no qualms, no reservations. I usualy HATE drum samples.

Theses are truly living samples they really need to be used to be appreciated. Just to talk about a few things, the Kick drums for example, are the only kick drums I\'ve ever used that always sit perfectly in almost any mix. Furthermore they are very nearly undetectable as samples. I almost ALWAYS replace the live kick drums in every recording I do with these Kicks, and let me tell you I have a lot of microphones and a lot of time behind a mixing desk. The crashes are truly outstanding. It is very true that there is not a great deal of processing done on these samples, but that is something best left up to the engineer is it not? Perhaps he should have posted a full production for a demo. I once posted a mix I did with those samples on the Paris NG, those guys are tough and most of them loved the set. I have almost every drum sample set out there, these are the ones I use in the vast majority of my work.

pete

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by donimon:
    i was considering the library, but after the demo i think i\'ll pass. sounds very midi-ish to me. some of the snare drags and stuff really give it away. maybe it\'s just a quick demo, but nothing to make me run and buy. best drums i\'ve heard is an old cd called burning grooves that has some awesome slamming kits ......<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
    Pete Leoni

I\'\'m not really trying to knock this library, in fact I want to support Jim for his killer deal.

At the price, it blows Clearmountains Poo Poo library out of the water (worst purchase I ever made). The snares in Clearmountain are bad IMO.

Which is why I wish someone would pst what this library \"could do\" not quick kit demos played from trigger pads/kits.

IMO thats not the best way to recreate drums with MIDI. Yes its great for performance, but in the end the retriggers of the same Hi hat and same snare, so you need to tweak the sequence or build a MIDI module/software tweak to get it to sound good.

Yues the kick sounds nice... I dont like that close sound all the time, but it is nice and reminds me of tone I used to get when I recorded bands. I\'m considering the library jsut to have a kick like this in my arsenal...not because I\'d want to use it all the time mind you. The cybals have great tone...but are there left and right hits for hats and ride? The crashes have a great sound especially for no EQ.

anyhow,..yes I know many of you guys believe in the \"this is what you get out of the box\" demo approach, but I also like to hear what can really be acheived. It puts things in perspective.

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

OK at that price and with that content, I might reconsider the library actually. I just dont like neither the snare or the kick in the demo.

I have Purrrfect drums and am very happy with the purchase.

Having said that, I don\'t think this demo necessarily puts the library\'s best foot forward.

The cymbals in Purrrfect drums are fantastic, as are the toms.

The drums have tons of impact, which works well in many situations and is less appropriate in others. The cymbals are always great.

The snares aren\'t completely my style, but it\'s just a matter of taste. There are some really nice options available with the snares (left/right hand samples & edge samples). Also, Jim has mentioned that he plans to release a collection of snares to expand the \"color\" options, and I will definitely give it serious consideration because I feel that Jim really does a great job of sampling.

I tried mapping Purrfect drums\' quick kits to my electric kit and while it blew away my DM-Pro module, I agree with King that there are certain nuances that can\'t be triggered correctly from an electric kit (especially hi hat). I\'ve since mapped Purrfect drums to my Roland R-8 and have been much happier with the results programming the patterns. Purrfect drums has the sounds, it\'s just a matter of accessing them properly.

One thing I do miss is the \"Room\" sound. Although you can always run it through an fx unit, it\'s not quite the same thing as the sound of the kit when mic\'d from a distance.

But once again, I\'m very happy with Purrrfect Drums. Thanks for all the hard work, Jim.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast