• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Having a pedal noise issue with sustain resonance turned on....

Share/Bookmark

Having a pedal noise issue with sustain resonance turned on....

I bought the Garritan Steinway standard edition about a week ago and absolutely could not be more thrilled with my purchase. I only have two issues.

1) That I didn't buy the Pro version

2) An odd unexplainable noise somehow relating to the sustain pedal and sustain resonance.

It's hard to articulate, but use of the sustain pedal with resonance turned on (to any number) creates a distant noise every so often while playing. The best way I can explain it is just to post a demo where it occurs, and to say it sounds almost like snares on a drum:

http://tehlolz.com/alex/new%20york%2...0of%20mind.mp3

Listen to that demo, especially between phrases. It's driving me crazy!

Re: Having a pedal noise issue with sustain resonance turned on....

Hi!

If you mean that 'swish' noise, it's the sound of the dampers lifting off the strings. To eliminate, set mechanical noises to '0'.

Would you mind sharing your settings for that demo? What perspective, ambience, EQ, etc.

Smile Re: Having a pedal noise issue with sustain resonance turned on....

Ethereal,

you might want to have a look at my thread:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=60788

i'm also experiencing that "wooshing" when using the sustain turned on.
    It also drives me crazy, it's that sort of thing that once noticed it's hard to get over it. It should be supposed to be fixed with the first Steinway update.

ciao

Mechanical noise was set to zero in that demo.

Unfortunately I don't remember the exact settings for that, it was almost "stock" right out of the box. I have something similar saved, I'll look it up and get back to you.

Yes the sustain resonance will be changed for the update. I like the change and hope you'll all like the improvement as well.

Speaking Of Pedals,

Sostenuto capability, and Una Corde slide overs are extremely difficult and Hat's Off to the developers for even trying to get capture it.

What's the status on it's functinality so far?

Thanks, I look forward to buying this after the next upgrade.
    JimmyV

Quote Originally Posted by scope4live View Post
    Speaking Of Pedals,

Sostenuto capability, and Una Corde slide overs are extremely difficult and Hat's Off to the developers for even trying to get capture it.

What's the status on it's functinality so far?

Thanks, I look forward to buying this after the next upgrade.
    Hi Jimmy,

We should have the updates done soon. After some testing we'll make them available.

All the best,

Gary

Hi all,

Sorry to join this discussion so late - but I've been listening to a few of the demo .mp3s and many of them have that same problem. Once you notice the sound, it becomes impossible to ignore! At first I thought I'd accidently left one of my Khatachurian recordings playing in another room ... then I thought it was some wacky reverb problem ...

I am relieved that others have already reported the problem. It took me a while to discover this forum thread. I suspect others may not persevere.

Once the update(s) are released, might I suggest that the demos be redone asap? They would then reflect more fairly on the quality of the Garritan Steinway, and the fine work of the performers.

I'm fairly certain I'll be buying this myself, once my income starts to catch up with my ongoing living expenses!

Nice work Gary et al!

Hi, this is my first post. I own the virtual Steinway version Pro since last week and i am very satisfied. I use the trombettworks solution in order to correct the velocity issue and the results are excelent. But the noise using the sustain resonance is very annoying and i hope that really will be fixed in the update.

Hi everybody,
    This is not mario...i'm julia...mario's cousin..
    I'm writing in this section because i saw that here there's mario's last post...yes,his last post...because on 21 sept 2008 mario dead...he dead in a terrible car accident...i'm crying now,because i'm reading all his posts and I miss him very much...mario always told me how music was important for him:"It's my life and my love" he always said to me .
    ..did mario really win the competition of 2004?well...it's amazing...mario always told me that he would have never said nothing to anybody about that competition....he was too sweet for this world...and i loved him very much...we were always toghether...
    i'm trying to find everything about mario's work for the competition...if anybody can help me I appreciate it..thanks...

p.s anyway sorry for my terrible english...

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast