• Register
  • Help

Topic: Lite? Notation?

Share/Bookmark

Lite? Notation?

What exactly are these two choices and for what are they used?

Re: Lite? Notation?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    What exactly are these two choices and for what are they used?
    "Lite" instruments are less demanding on system resources (memory, programming complexity.) Use them if you are running short on memory or you find that your CPU is straining to keep up. Often they can be substituted on inner parts to improve efficiency.

Notation instruments are designed specifically to work with notation programs like Finale and Sibelius as opposed to sequencers. They use somewhat different controller assignments and default settings: All instruments in the notation version use the Kontakt Player’s Pedal Mode 1, “Standard Sustain.” The instrument programming differences are:

1. Legato mode – controlled by cc#68 (instead of cc#64.) Please note that instruments which normally use standard sustain pedal (e.g. piano) continue to use cc#64 for the sustain function.
    2. Pitchbend range – extended to +/-12 semitones for all instruments.
    3. Keyswitches – All notation version keyswitches consistently reside in the bottom octave of the MIDI spec (between C-2 and B-2) for all instruments.
    4. The cc#7 and cc#10 Option in the Kontakt player is active to allow notation programs to control relative MIDI volume and panning.

Tom

Tom,

About that pitch range "extra". Since it is in the Notation Set, why not in the Normal set? I am using Overture and not Finale, should I switch to the Notation set or as I now do, just use the other one? [I am not sure if Overture can handle this, but I will sort that out].

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    Tom,

About that pitch range "extra". Since it is in the Notation Set, why not in the Normal set? I am using Overture and not Finale, should I switch to the Notation set or as I now do, just use the other one? [I am not sure if Overture can handle this, but I will sort that out].

Raymond
    Notation programs tend to expect a full (and consistent) +/-12 semitones of pitchbend range. On the other hand, if one is editing in a sequencer it is more important to have fine, subtle control over the small changes in pitch as one "draws" the data into the tracks for the most natural-sounding results. Thus, many Standard instruments use a default setting of only 2 semitones. Larger range settings reduce fine control. Also, the Standard sequencer instruments are sometimes tailored to unique instrument behavior by default (e.g. trombone pitchbend is set to a maximum of 6 semitones to match the available slide range.)

I'm not that familiar with Overture's needs but I suspect it is similar in assumptions to other notation programs (unless it has a specific Garritan mode that tailors controllers to the Standard instruments in our libraries.) Sans a "Garritan" mode, the Notation instruments are probably a better choice. You'll need to evaluate how the features are implemented in Overture to make an informed decision. Check the documentation for Overture paying particular attention to controller usage.

Tom

P.S Keep in mind that all default settings are just convenience defaults. A user can change the pitchbend range of an instrument, if desired.

Thanks Tom. Material for further study with Overture.

Raymond

Go Back to forum