• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast

Topic: TASCAM Ceases development of Gigastudio

Share/Bookmark

TASCAM Ceases development of Gigastudio

"Notice:
    TEAC America, Inc. will cease further development of GIGASTUDIO and GIGASTUDIO related products as of July 21, 2008.
    Product sales and technical support will continue through the end of the year. "

My heart goes out to the 5 fine programmers who have been released from duty. No doubt they have gone on to greener pastures.

This is indeed the worst possible timing for me, as I have just released a second product a matter of days ago. This product is the first of its kind, and was completely dependent upon the Giga technology. Now there is no hope of improving it beyond its present level. My heart also goes out to the other developers who have supported this platform, and been treated in this miserable way by TASCAM.

As for Wavelore's valued customers, and their need for support, we are requesting that you keep your business with us, as we intend to make our products multi-platform just as soon as is possible. Interested customers will be offered the cheapest possible (we aim for free) crossgrades when ready. Those of you who have purchased the American Zither or the Pedal Steel Guitar have all, to my knowlege gotten your product(s) to work satisfactorily. It is our aim to offer the best possible support we can under these difficult circumstances. Being that we cannot possibly fix everything that might go wrong on the many systems out there, we will be as cooperative as possible regarding returns and crossgrades.

Since both of our existing products were tested extensively before release, and since we still have contact with ex-Tascam engineers who have offered whatever help they can give us (within the scope of their terms w/Tascam), we plan to keep making them available until stock runs out. The same support and crossgrading will be offered to new customers.

Announcements to be posted on our site shortly.

Best to all,

Mark Belbin

p.s. Apologies to admin for any commercially related content...please feel encouraged to edit if you feel incline. Respectfully requesting you leave the Tascam announcements intact.

Re: TASCAM Ceases development of Gigastudio

Please visit:

www.opengigastudio.com and make your voice heard. This may be the only way to allow this technology to continue its life. It may even bring about unimagined developments in software sampling.

Mark

What?....Whaaat?!!!!!!

You are kidding right? this isn't a late april joke, is it?

Just today this morning I was visiting the tascam website and saw that all links regarding GS4 and GVI and Gigapulse was gone, but didn't give much thought because the link to the Larry Seyer drumkits library was still on.

I wanted to upgrade from Gs3 to Gs4 in one to two months especially because Im under Win XP 64 with 8 gigs of ram. Now what?

Will the update price drop? Will further updates be released?

very sad indeed.

Ok, at least I'll sign for the open source giga code.
    best regards

Przemyslaw K.

Quote Originally Posted by Przemek K. View Post
    You are kidding right? this isn't a late april joke, is it?
    Nope

Will the update price drop?
    Perhaps.

Will further updates be released?
    Nope

Also...the anticipated GVI for MAC will NOT be released now. A Tascam Gigastudio team member on another forum confirmed that this morning.
    Regards,
    Brian W. Ralston

Check out my new FREE iPhone App! Click Here!

Oh my... this is huge.
    I support the idea of Open Gigastudio.

Can anybody explain what's going on here? True, Giga under TASCAM has been crappy (at least IMO). But on the heels of releasing GS4, suddenly discontinuing the product???

What in the world is going on?

Quote Originally Posted by kaiyoti View Post
    Oh my... this is huge.
    I support the idea of Open Gigastudio.
    I guess this would be an incentive to contribute to the LinuxSampler project (which despite its name is also available for Mac as well as Windows) which support both the Gig v2 and Gig v3 format.
    Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, LinuxSampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland JX-10, 4GB RAM Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2160 @ 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux 64 bit

Quote Originally Posted by RealJethro View Post
    Can anybody explain what's going on here? True, Giga under TASCAM has been crappy (at least IMO). But on the heels of releasing GS4, suddenly discontinuing the product???

What in the world is going on?
    Cutting their loses in a quickly changing software sampler industry perhaps???

I find it interesting that this comes on the heels of SoniVox (Sonic Implants) announcing their new software engine for all their future libraries. And they were the last major Gigastudio developer holdout.
    Regards,
    Brian W. Ralston

Check out my new FREE iPhone App! Click Here!

Quote Originally Posted by dahnielson View Post
    I guess this would be an incentive to contribute to the LinuxSampler project (which despite its name is also available for Mac as well as Windows) which support both the Gig v2 and Gig v3 format.
    I'm already a user of linuxsampler , but I also would like an open gigastudio because 2 is better than one.

What the heck? Why would TASCAM do this?

I know Giga had lost ground to stand alone Kontact players and the like, but it was still a fabulous program. How could they just kill it like this?

I really wish they had never purchased Nemesys. Talk about crappy news.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast