• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: "My Favorite Things" R. Rodgers

Share/Bookmark

"My Favorite Things" R. Rodgers

This is my arrangement of "My Favorite Things" by R. Rodgers. I wrote it in Finale and used GJBB instruments. I then sent a midi file sent to Danny Williams and he "tweaked' it using Sonar. The dynamics, balance, texture and the solos are his work. I am very deeply indebted to him and hope some day to be able to do what just half of what he did. He has been totally selfless in his help and guidance.
    My subtitle is "One of My Favorite Things is changing meters" as I used 5/4, 4/4 and 3/4 interchangeably throughout. It had absolutely nothing to do with Aleph-Null.

http://www.box.net/shared/3hf0onusk8

Cool Re: "My Favorite Things" R. Rodgers

Quote Originally Posted by sosmus View Post
    This is my arrangement, of "My Favorite Things" by R. Rodgers. I wrote it in Finale and used GJBB instruments. I then sent a midi file sent to Danny Williams and he "tweaked' it using Sonar. The dynamics, balance, texture and the solos are his work. I am very deeply indebted to him and hope some day to be able to do what just half of what he did. He has been totally selfless in his help and guidance.
    My subtitle is "One of My Favorite Things is changing meters" as I used 5/4, 4/4 and 3/4 interchangeably throughout. It had absolutely nothing to do with Aleph-Null.

http://www.box.net/shared/3hf0onusk8
    Definitely, the most impressing piece you have shown so far, Steve!

Very impressing and rythmic, the 5/4 made me associate with David Brubeck's "Take Five". And you have hired a much more competent drummer! What's his name by the way? Maybe son of The Silver Fox?

Richard Rodgers is also one of my favorite American composers, responsible for having written the "South Pacific" soundtrack together with O. Hammerstein - Bali Hai is my favorite piece in the musical, which I suspect the British rock group *Led Zeppelin*, has take the main theme from when they recorded *Immigration Song* in the 70s.

Great Steve!

Fred

Re: "My Favorite Things" R. Rodgers

Fred:

Thanks for listening and commenting. Danny Williams added the drum part and he nailed it. I've never had a live group sound this good.

Steve

Steve

Your last line put a very needed smile on my face.

This is the second time I am typing this all out. I hit some button on my keyboard from time to time that just makes everything I type go away and pisses me off to no end. I have no idea what it is that I hit but when it happens I want to toss out the computer. I'm sure you know what I mean.

Back to your piece.

I know you call yourself an arranger (arrangist?) first and you are excellent at it, but we all enjoy your original stuff as well so keep up with that also for your fans.

I thought you were doing very well with cubase, but of course Danny is an expert with Sonar, so you can't go wrong using him as your back-up.

Great work!!

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

That's a super chart, Mr. Steve! You da best!

You totally messed up my internal, built-in rhythm-master mental meter machine with the 5/4 bit. I will never be able to count again.

Mr. Danny also did a great job in putting the finishing touches on your fine arrangement.

My best,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Just swingin' Steve..........

You have a real gift for arranging and making
    your music exciting.

Kudos to DDW and his expertise in producing this
    magnificent "musical product." And, Danny, great
    solos..........plus super drums.........

Just great, Steve

BRAVO,

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

I'll add my quick two cents...

When Steve asked me if I'd be willing work on his midi file for him, I was thrilled and honored... he's a tremendously talented, hip arranger and --as we've all come to know --very self-effacing, humble, and gracious. All I did was polish his Ferrari.

Just a note on the drums, since Fredrik brought this up: the drumset part can really "make or break" a big band chart -- and using commercially-available pre-created loops and patterns just doesn't cut it. I think the only way to create a passable drumset part is to play and record it bit by bit in real time to make sure that the feel and style complement the ensemble parts (with many edits afterwards, of course )... in other words "be the drummer". For Steve's chart, I used the jazz fusion set from JABB (borrowing the snare rolls from GPO). It makes it much easier, of course, when the chart is outstanding and absolutely professional such as this one is -- what's needed in the drumset performance-wise becomes obvious.

This project was a real summer treat for me (a free arranging lesson from one of the best!!), and I'd like to publicly express my gratitude to Steve for including me in on this.

Just fantastic !!!

You and Danny are the reincarnation of Sauter-Finnegan (remember them ?) - only better !

Great arrangement - great solos and rendering.

Regards,

Jack

That's superb - great writing and arranging, and the drums really do swing!!

best

Barrie

Ron:
    Your last line put a very needed smile on my face.
    That was for you, and I still don't know what it's all about!
    This is the second time I am typing this all out. I hit some button on my keyboard from time to time that just makes everything I type go away and pisses me off to no end. I have no idea what it is that I hit but when it happens I want to toss out the computer. I'm sure you know what I mean.
    Been there, done that (too #$%^&*many times)

I thought you were doing very well with cubase, but of course Danny is an expert with Sonar, so you can't go wrong using him as your back-up.
    Danny is not my back-up, he is more my "pick-me-up and prop-me-up!"

Thanks for being such a good listener and "encourager."

Steve

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast