• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Ghostly Apparitions in n-Dimensional Space

Share/Bookmark

Ghostly Apparitions in n-Dimensional Space

I wanted to do something based on String Theory and ended up with this one. String Theory requires at least 10 dimensions and depending on the math, can go as high as 26 of them so I just called this one n dimensions and you can put in whatever number you wish for n.

I know that I will still be tweaking the piano in this and hope to one day be rich enough to purchase the Steinway and do it right. It now uses the GPO Steinway and many other instruments from GPO and a couple of other libraries.

Although I did not plan these 3 to be part of a at present unnamed Suite, I am sure that they are.

Here it is

http://www.box.net/shared/fd2h6e200o

Here is a link to the score

http://www.box.net/shared/35z2qerggs

For those interested, Here are the other 2 parts of the Suite
    I have yet to pick an order for these to go, but then who really cares?

Gauss and Quadratic Reciprocity
    http://www.box.net/shared/us5jmd63o0

Aleph Null
    http://www.box.net/shared/23hak514wk

Here is the meaning of Aleph Null

How many whole numbers (aka Natural numbers) are there? An infinite amount. The name for that infinite amount is Aleph Null. Even though there are also an infinite number of Real Numbers, it has been shown that there are more Real numbers than there are Natural numbers. Natural numbers being the ones we count with, 1,2,3 etc. and since Real numbers, which include all Natural numbers, and all Rational Numbers like 1/2, 1/4 etc and all irrational numbers like Pi, the square root of 2, e, etc, the number of them is greater than the Natural numbers. Bottom line is that there are different sizes of infinity, something only a true math geek can even begin to care about.

BTW I am not a true Math Geek...just a part timer.

Thanks to all who listen and/or comment

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Re: Ghostly Apparitions in n-Dimensional Space

Interesting...

The flute part is very haunting and the winds add terrific support. The piano seems very bright on my sound system (almost brittle). The piano part though is interesting and at some points I feel it overpowers the rest. I am sure that is a personal opinion thing though.

This would be a strange universe, indeed, if we could view it at the sub-atomic level. I felt you did a marvelous job in constructing a view for us. Very well done, Ron.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Hi Ron,

Well, what a coincidence! I just happen to be working on a piece based on String Bikini Theory.

(Seriously, now) This one shows your continued growth and progress in all aspects of your writing -- including the whole rendering/mixing thing (which sounds spot on to me).

This piano style or genre usually doesn't appeal to me, but setting and surrounding it so ingeniously and creatively as you do with everything else -- it allows it to all make perfect musical sense to me, drawing me in and quite definitely holding my interest completely.

I've noticed an increase in the little subtleties -- the "just right amount of spice" type of thing -- more and more in your music. I loved that little two-note horn thing in there... I felt kind of an ominous, Twilight Zone creepy tingle down my back.

Another gem on the growing mound reasons you're such a favorite composer of mine, Ron. Great stuff!!

Danny

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer View Post
    I wanted to do something based on String Theory and ended up with this one. String Theory requires at least 10 dimensions and depending on the math, can go as high as 26 of them so I just called this one n dimensions and you can put in whatever number you wish for n.

Ron
    Very nice piece, Ron. This shows much more maturity. It is within my area of likes (as you may have guessed). I love the interplay of the Piano with the rest of the orchestra. The effects you create are marvelous, congratulations on a piece well done.

I do have a question: Did you incorporate any of the mathematics of string theory in this piece, or was it just a conceptual stimulus for the piece? If you did incorporate the math I would be interested in knowing how you used the math to generate the musical ideas.
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Rich

I agree that in some places the piano is a bit too much and is overpowering. I have to let it sit for a bit before I try to change too much or I'll end up with something entirely different.

Danny

You crack me up. I can't wait to hear your piece on String Bikini's. That almost sounds obscene doesn't it?

I know that the style of Cats dancing on piano keys is not for everyone, but I do try to make some sense out of their quick little feet. I do wonder if I got this genre out of my system for a bit so I can do something a little more centered tonally. We shall see if that is the case.

I do love the theory and the application of string Bikini theory.

Bill

While I was at the University of Maryland for my last class, we had a guest speaker come in who is a leading expert in String Theory. A brilliant man and a great speaker. He was the main inspiration for the piece. I wish I could say that I used certain aspects of the theory to compose this, but that is just not how it came about. In order to understand the math in String Theory, I would probably need about 2 years of study to begin to get up to speed in that area, but then that is the way it is in most of the disciplines in math.

Thanks guys for the listen and the great comments.

Ro

It's all very well realized. The piano does take center stage and I think it works like that.

It reminds me of some of Mike Garson's more experimental piano work such as with David Bowie's Aladdin Sane or effects for film.

A great sound here. Pretty spooky!

Phil

Hey, this is great!

I love the atmosphere you've set up here. The serene and almost plaintive oboe line juxtaposed with the fantasticly energetic piano makes for a very nice mood. I agree with Phil on the piano work on Aladdin Sane (also on his later "Outside") and had the germ of that comparison in my head even before I read his remark. I think some of that has to do with the tone of the piano as well... very bright, but with a nice swimmy reverb on the tail.

I had trouble following the score in its large format and lightning page-turning, but I appreciate being able to get a look at it.

Thanks for posting this. Going to take a listen to the other parts now.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Phil

I had to go and check out some of Garson's works. That guy has a ton of talent with the keyboard and I wish I could play like that.

Jamie

I love the line that the oboe does as well. I have been tempted to just take that and expand on it in an entirely different direction than this piece goes.

This is the first score I have produced using Sonar and now I understand why it is not known for its scores. In time I hope tio figure out the right way to get the music from Sonar into Sibelius and come up with a decent score.

Thanks guys

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer View Post
    This is the first score I have produced using Sonar and now I understand why it is not known for its scores. In time I hope tio figure out the right way to get the music from Sonar into Sibelius and come up with a decent score.
    Don't dispair! It's very possible to go from Sonar to Sibelius and come up with an excellent score, though it does take some work. That's the way I do all of my music these days.

I'll write up an overview of my process a little later today (rushing out the door at the moment). I'll start a new thread on it so I don't crowd out this one.
    - Jamie Kowalski

Ron -

I dug up an old post of mine on the notation subject and rehashed it in a new thread here: Sonar to Sibelius Workflow. I hope it is of some use to you.
    - Jamie Kowalski

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast