• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: ARIA needs

Share/Bookmark

ARIA needs

One simple, straight forward question not requiring great philosophical input, just facts.

I am putting together a new system and need to know:

What are the basic needs to run ARIA?

How much GB free hard disk space?
    What OS? Windows XP Pro, Pentium 4? How many GHz, how many GB RAM?
    What's the best sound card? Low Latancy required with ASIO drivers? With what (Kontakt) must it be compatible?

Re: ARIA needs

If your putting together a new system, then I would recommend getting at least a Core 2 Duo (one of the 45nm ones). If you are running mostly sample libraries, then a Core 2 Duo usually works better than a Quad core. Pentium 4's are old now and have a fraction of the capability of the newer processors.

Get at least 4 GB of RAM preferably 2 - 2 GB sticks so you have room to add another 4 GB later.

ARIA by itself doesn't need much hard drive space. It depends on the libraries you want to load. You should have at least 2 hard drives in your system. One as the system drive for the OS and programs and another for storing samples. Your sample drive needs to be a big one. 500 GB drives are about $100.

I use Windows XP Pro both 32 bit and the x64 versions. Vista has too much overhead and runs slower than XP. The x64 version allows full use of 4 GB of memory and more. The 32 bit version is limited to about 3 GB for running programs with the use of the /3 GB switch in the boot.ini. Only 2 GB without the switch.

There are quite a few low latency cards with ASIO drivers. I prefer PCI cards. The Echo Gina 3G gets good reviews from other users and costs about $249.

Jim

I agree with Haydn's suggestions above. Sounds like a good box. Speaking of boxes, make sure the case you get has a quiet cooling system.
    Garritan on GarageBand '08 using Intel iMac with 1.5G RAM
    Listen to my collection here

Quote Originally Posted by schneb View Post
    make sure the case you get has a quiet cooling system.
    Absolutely an essential. Get a liquid cooled system if you can. If you are doing audio recording the last thing you need is the sound of the old power supply fan humming away in the background.

Happy for you, Tom. Nothing like a new computer to maye a Garritanophile a happy camper!
    Jerry
    Dayton, Kentucky
    Personally, I'm waiting for caller IQ.

My apologies for buttin' in, but regarding ARIA, is it even out yet? Thanks! - Rich Garber

ARIA is the sample engine that the Garritan Authorized Steinway uses. So yes it is out at least for that library. More to come!

Jim

Obvious next question is WHEN? Second question is, will the user need a different
    ARIA engine for each instrument? That doesn't make sense but it kinda leans in that direction from the info above.

?
    tony h
    tony h
    Master Comp. P5 deluxe intel dual core, Windows XP Pro, 4G ram, HD's=OS Audio, two samples, Cubase 3/4 , GVI Kirk Hunter Concert strings, KH Concert brass, Emerald, Miroslav strings, brass, Quantum Leap brass. DAW and Master comp by pcaudiolabs- Slave Comp for VI only, Gigabyte Intel ,8G ram, ethernet, Windows Vista Ultimatex64, VI Ensemble,VI SE Appasionata strings.

Lightbulb Re: ARIA needs

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    One simple, straight forward question not requiring great philosophical input, just facts.

I am putting together a new system and need to know:

What are the basic needs to run ARIA?

How much GB free hard disk space?
    What OS? Windows XP Pro, Pentium 4? How many GHz, how many GB RAM?
    What's the best sound card? Low Latancy required with ASIO drivers? With what (Kontakt) must it be compatible?
    Since you asked what OS I'm giving you an answer you probably don't want to hear. Given a fairly recent (< 1 year) Mac from PC migration I can say that I am happily not looking back. (Is it perfect? No. Is it a d!mn site better than Windows? Absolutely!)

Box: iMac 3.0 Ghz Dual Core (runs cool and is silent!)
    Audio: MOTU 828 MKIII (run on Firewire 400)
    4 Gig of RAM
    Hard disks: Glyph Firewire 800 drives (The bigger the better and rack mount 'em!)

- LFO
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

ARIA is also out with Finale 2009 and the 300 or so instruments from Garritan that are included. It's nice. Runs as a VST in any host and loads SFZ files. Makes a good lightweight player.

Brent

Quote Originally Posted by koolkeys View Post
    ARIA is also out with Finale 2009 and the 300 or so instruments from Garritan that are included. It's nice. Runs as a VST in any host and loads SFZ files. Makes a good lightweight player.

Brent
    Now watch me destroy myself completely with one small question:

What's an SFZ file - aside from something very loud?

Go Back to forum