• Register
  • Help

Topic: America

Share/Bookmark

America

Thought I would post something since it's been a while and it might be a while until I post again as I have 5 weeks to listen to the music, review it and rehearse for a musical. And I have to memorize it by then!

And the end tenor next to me sings loud and flat. Now I know why I got stuck there. Maybe he'll get sick. Sorry Matthew!

But the leads who are in high school are really good.

This is called America.GPO, CMB, SampleTank, Miroslav and VGP.

http://www.box.net/shared/l88tf4qyos

Re: America

Phil

Is this an original by you?

When it first started I almost jumped out of my chair, this was not what I was expecting at all. At first it brought to mind an opening for a chuch song, then I thought about it for a bit as it was playing and said to myself this would be a great opening for a piano and bang, there it was.

Then the more I thought about it, it almost seems to belong to Jesus Christ Superstar. Not that it sounds like a ripoff from that, just a song that belonged in that Opera.

I hope this is yours and am impressed with the music and the rendering. Lots of reverb here but it fits perfectly.

Lastly, I read somewhere that it is legal to shoot off-key tenors and when they are next to you, it becomes your obligation to do so. Just a flesh wound the day of the performance.

Good luck with the performance and good luck with your aim.

Great piece

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Hello Ron,

Yes it's one of mine.

I was trying for something like God Bless America or America The Beautiful. It's probably a little bombastic but that is what I was going for on the arrangement. I was trying to come up with a patriotic, sing along tune maybe bordering on fear for these scary times.

Funny you should mention JC Super Star. Although I have only briefly heard a few of the songs from it the musical we are doing Joseph And The Amazing Technicolor Coat which is a Lloyd Webber-Rice musical also. The music is pretty simple.

I could always pop the guy on his head with a tuning fork.

Thanks for the good words.

Phil

Phil

When I was in 8th grade, we did Dreamcoat. What a great musical.

You could always do a Tanya Harding on the tenor the day of the show.

Good luck with it.

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Strong piece, Phil, with much of that characterstic big
    Spector sound you bring to the table.

I liked the breakaway (~1:30) into that stubbornly
    tonic-centered section... with the various surrounding
    material competing to break out into the tailpiece
    baladic conclusion...

As with many of the things you do, Phil, I generally
    wind up listening a few times -- and then left at the
    end moved; but also slightly disturbed.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Strong piece, Phil, with much of that characterstic big
    Spector sound you bring to the table.
    I used two choirs on this one but I always toss some instruments as it's usually a sonic experiment.

I liked the breakaway (~1:30) into that stubbornly
    tonic-centered section... with the various surrounding
    material competing to break out into the tailpiece
    baladic conclusion...
    I'm not quite sure what that was all about but the three power chords are probably from the Who's We Won't Get Fooled Again.

As with many of the things you do, Phil, I generally
    wind up listening a few times -- and then left at the
    end moved; but also slightly disturbed
    I try have a happy ending but it's always a little Hitchcokian I guess.

Phil

Phil - nice effort on this expression of concern for your country. I have always felt the future of America is great but greatness does not come easy and without pain.

I would bring out the percussion on the first part more and also the second. Found the last part a bit anti-climatic but maybe your purpose here was to demonstrate the potential tranquility. Maybe a bit of the first part to end it the piece would be good as only a suggestion. Just thinking out loud as I certainly don't know where you were going with this.
    Music happens to be an art form that transcends language. - Herbie Hancock

http://www.mdtcommunications.com

Fastlane!---Hearing this from you--posted almost a year ago during my intensely busy "Dorian" period.---NICE Post, I mean, Really nice--But where are you? - Last we heard it was a complicated time for you, taking care of your mother--Please check in with us when you can.--Maybe you see these posts but don't have time to respond?

Randy B.

Go Back to forum