• Register
  • Help

Topic: Overture Volume Control

Share/Bookmark

Overture Volume Control

I am using Overture and I see in the book that once the volume levels are set in preferences the volume indicator put on the printed page should occur during playback - it doesn't.

I point and click all the notes in place and save the music. Then I go back and ad dynamic markings.

However, once the piece starts playback the volume stays the same throughout no matter what I do.

One individual said, "Welll, use the mod wheel to control the dynamics." Isn't that only for when notes are being entered via a keyboard?

Re: Overture Volume Control

Try checking Options/Preferences/Playback/Play Dynamics.

Quote Originally Posted by DarwinKopp View Post
    Try checking Options/Preferences/Playback/Play Dynamics.
    Options/Preferences/Playback - no Play Dynamics option.

Under Playback I only have:
    MIDI Through Follows Tracks
    Play Notes Wjile Inserting/Dragging
    Play Entire Chord While Dragging Notes
    Send Sync
    Use Audio Engine

It appears you have a later version of Overture. I'm still running v3.6.1, so I'm sorry I can't be of more help. Assuming everything else is right, maybe try "Use Audio Engine"?, as I don't have that option on my menu.

Going into a bit more detail, when you edit the dynamic itself, there is a radio button group to select which controller is activated by the dynamic. In the case of GPO, most of the patches would require "Modulation CC1", but some would use "Velocity" instead, e.g. piano, percussion. Then there's also the checkbox "Play" option that has to be checked, otherwise the controller commands will not be sent for that particular dynamic mark instance.

This applies to v3.6.1, but I would assume your later version would be similar. Good luck!

P.S., while the canned dynamics can be useful as a quick way to insert dynamics, I much prefer to manually edit the continuous controller data in the graphic window, leaving dynamic playback disabled, and using the dynamic symbols merely for printout. Unlike say, Finale, which has horrid midi editing, one doesn't really need to resort to actually programming the dynamic markings in Overture to get a nice playback. One may use the controller data directly, instead.

What version of Overture? The latest patch?
    What version of GPO?

Snor
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Quote Originally Posted by snorlax View Post
    what version of overture? The latest patch?
    What version of gpo?

Snor
    overture 4.0
    gpo - odd - it doesn't tell.

Sorry, I couldn't understand what you meant in "in the book" etc., but if you're using Overture4 Win and GPO KP2 version, try out this solution. http://geniesoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4880

After you install the xml file, and run Overture4, and set Track Properties by right-clicking on the track, and select GPO, most dynamics symbols and hairpins on the score will send midi CC1 (modulation) to control volume level.

If you're using GPO KP1 version, you don't need to install the xml.
    Tatsu
    GPO, Strad & Gofriller, Kirk Hunter Ruby, etc.
    Kontakt2&3, Cubase studio4, Overture4, PC (Win XP, E6850, 4GB RAM), MOTU8282mk3
    Yokohama, Japan

Go Back to forum