• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: CHeap or free video editing software?

Share/Bookmark

OT: CHeap or free video editing software?

Just wondering if anyone knew of some inexpensive or even free video editing software. All I need is to be able to take some of the longer cuts of video I've scored and cut them down into smaller pieces for a demo reel. I just know that this will probably be the full extent of what I use it for so I really dont want to buy something like Vegas which would be overkill. Thanks.

E

Re: OT: CHeap or free video editing software?

Do you have Windows XP ? You could use Windows Movie Maker ... it's free and already installed in you computer!

Best regards,

Really? I'll have to check it out. Thanks.

In addition to the Windows app, many DVD burners are bundled with some sort of video editing application. Many firewire cards used to come with full or scaled down versions of NLEs; but I don't know if that is the case any more, now that they are so inexpensive. I remember that one company was bundling the full version of Adobe Premiere with its card -- and selling the package for less than what Premiere cost on its own at the time. But that was quite a while ago (at least 5-6 years).

In any case, for casual users, the best advice is to look at what came with your hardware first. For more serious apps, Premiere is my favorite at this point. I used to use Vegas (before Sony purchased it) but they had a lot of problems making the authorization codes stick (and you had to authorize the program, the audio and video codecs separately). I got tired of that. I also like U-Lead Media Studio because it gave you so much for the money. But the interface was very quirky. They have since been acquired by Corel. (I don't know if they have made it better or worse) But I think they have trial versions of all this stuff that you can download. And if you really have money to burn, you can look at Avid, etc.

If you think you're spending too much money on your DAW, take a look at video editing setups sometime. No sooner had I got set up to do broadcast quality SD video, than they introduced 24p, and shortly after that everyone started to move to various flavors of HD. They all used tape when I started, then mini-DVD, hard disk recording and memory card recording starting coming in. You need a lot of money to keep up with this stuff. But at least the quality just keeps getting better and better and working its way down to the prosumer and consumer markets. If you're a halfway decent photographer you can get some absolutely stunning visuals and -- if you're willing to spend the time to learn it -- do some incredible things in post. I am still in awe of Magic Bullet (a fairly inexpensive plug-in) that I've been using for more than a year, mainly just for color correction -- and I've barely scracthed the surface of what it can do.

Virtual DUB:
    ( free ) is very cool but not easy to use for advanced editing.
    I've used it to repair broken keyframes in unplayable .avi files.
    It's also a great way to play .avi files. Quality of output: 5 stars out of 5.

TMPGEnc:
    ( free ) Is a decent mpg converter as in it will convert .avi to mpg

Blender:
    ( free ) Can be used as a video compositor / editor but once again not really easy to use. Quality is pro level. Quality: 5 stars out of 5.

Vegas:
    Very easy to use. I believe you can get a home version for under $90.00.
    The Drawback of the cheap version as opposed to the pro version (that I noticed ) is that the cheap version doesn't do 24bit audio.
    Quality: 4.99 stars out of 5.

WMM: ( Windows Movie Maker )
    Easy to use but very limited. Forces output to .wmv so there's an other limitation.

In my case, I use "Sony Vegas Pro 8" ... 200$ on Ebay but you can't direct burn to DVD (if you need it). However, add 40$ for DVD Architect.

If you are in education or kids are in school K-12 then you can use a website like www.academicsuperstore.com to get very inexpensive software prices.

There are limitations on some products by the manufacturers, but I see no such limitation with sony vegas pro 8 (comes with dvd architect)

Otherwise, there are some free gpl video editing programs, but they slip my mind right now. Most are buggy.

HH

Re TMPG: the last time I checked, the free version only allowed the creation of MPG-1 files. You need MPG-2 for DVD. Has this changed recently?

I've heard that, while this product is not the most user friendly, the quality is supposed to be very impresive.

Thanks for all the help everyone. I am looking into all of these things. I'm currently using a demo of Magix Movie edit pro. It's working really well so far. My main interst is being able to make a DVD of all the past projects I have done as a demo. So far, it seems to import QT movs no problem and imports 24 bit 48k wavs in a really easy way. I'm waiting on more video from the production company and I'll see if my good luck continues. Thanks again.

E

Quote Originally Posted by ejr View Post
    Re TMPG: the last time I checked, the free version only allowed the creation of MPG-1 files. You need MPG-2 for DVD. Has this changed recently?

I've heard that, while this product is not the most user friendly, the quality is supposed to be very impresive.
    Yes. You are correct. The free version of tmpgenc only does mpg-1, but I sometimes found that useful for youtube.

I've since been using ALLOK converter to mp4 which sometimes is better than tmpgenc, depending on the content of the animation.

Go Back to forum