• Register
  • Help

Topic: New web site for my musical

Share/Bookmark

New web site for my musical

I bought a domain name for the musical I am currently writing - Rivertown.

It is here: http://www.rivertownthemusical.com/

Just some basic information and background.
    As we move closer to the premiere in October, 2009, I will add some short sound clips, audition photos, cast, etc.

Charles
    MacPro 2.66 - Tiger & Snow Leopard / 16GB RAM / several TB of HD space/ Garritan Libraries / EWQLSO Platinum PLAY / Omnisphere/ Kontakt 2 & 3 / Finale 2010 /DP5/ a VERY patient wife!

Re: New web site for my musical

Just the way I like em. Simple and attractive. No BG music--no dancing baloney. Well done. BTW - If you have a domain, you can set a forward email address like info"@"rivertownthemusical.com and it can be set to forward to your current email address. I have several domains and those are great.

Example: Here's one for my interactive CD...

info@holylandvirtualtour.com
    Garritan on GarageBand '08 using Intel iMac with 1.5G RAM
    Listen to my collection here

I am a professional actor, based in NY. I also run a small software company, specializing in databases for clients in the entertainment business. For several years now, I have been writing a musical. And, for the last couple, I have been trying to orchestrate it myself. (The last time I wrote a musical I was poorly served by the orchestrator. He was a much better musician than me, so I trusted him, but his approach to orchestrating the piece was to dump all my carefully crafter counterpoint and harmonies for simple strummed guitar chords and the like. He made it sound very dull. It would have worked better with just my original piano score a drummer. I vowed never to let that happen again.)

Fortunately, through my acting career, I meet all types of people and I have been able to get advice from composers, orchestrators and pit musicians who have worked on Broadway, in opera, etc.

I don't know if it will be of interest to anyone else, but I would love to know how you orchestrated your show -- which instruments you chose and why -- how big your pit orchestra is -- and did you use software like Sonar, Cubase, etc. and sample libraries (most B'way orchestrators don't.)

BTW for anyone who is truly interested in this stuff, there is an article about orchestrating for Broadway (first runs and revivals) in the current issue of the Dramatists Guild publication "The Dramatist" (free if you are a member of the guild, but I belive you can by it retail if you are not. It doesn't get into a lot of technical stuff. But it does give you a feel for how orchestrators work with theater composers and directors.

[quote=schneb;580688]Just the way I like em. Simple and attractive. No BG music--no dancing baloney. Well done. BTW - If you have a domain, you can set a forward email address like info"@"rivertownthemusical.com and it can be set to forward to your current email address. I have several domains and those are great.

Another cool tool for website design (if you can find it) is called email obfuscator. It uses a very clever method that allows you to display your email address on your web site, but prevents it from being swept up by spammers.

Yes, I will get to the email change (good idea) - I actually had already thought about it, just not done it yet. I bought the domain name and hosting plan at GoDaddy and will soon move my momanmedia.com site there as well.

Orchestrating? I am a month or so from starting on it. Right now I am writing lyrics with a basic idea of the style and melody that will go with each set. Next I will create lead sheets in Finale using Garritan sounds.

Then I will start writing out the orchestrations using Digital Performer, plus my Garritan libraries and EWQL Platinum Orchestra. They want their own "Oklahoma" kind of song, so I have written them one - the third song in the show. I need to do that first and make a demo track with singers so they can use it for radio ads starting in January, 2009.

I may post tracks as I go if I can.

Edit: I just went to GoDaddy and changed the email setting to send me a copy to my main email address. So now it is charles@rivertownthemusical.com and that looks much better.
    MacPro 2.66 - Tiger & Snow Leopard / 16GB RAM / several TB of HD space/ Garritan Libraries / EWQLSO Platinum PLAY / Omnisphere/ Kontakt 2 & 3 / Finale 2010 /DP5/ a VERY patient wife!

Go Back to forum