• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Gigastudio with Cubase audio mixdown problem

Share/Bookmark

Angry Gigastudio with Cubase audio mixdown problem

When I use Gigastudio 3 in rewire mode with Cubase Essential 4 everything works fine until I try to mix/render the track to audio using the Cubase ‘export to audio’ function. In the resulting audio file, the sound frequently gets cut off abruptly wherever I’ve used the sustain pedal.

My system is a Dell E2160 Core 2 Duo 1.8Ghz with 3GB RAM and Windows XP SP2, and I’ve got the latest updates for both applications. Also, I've got the latest driver for my Audiophile 2496 card.

If anyone can give me some help with this problem I’d appreciate it, since it’s really driving me crazy, and I’m already teetering on the brink.

Re: Gigastudio with Cubase audio mixdown problem

Hi

Gigastudio will NOT render properly in Cubase using rewire. But there is a work-around that I've been using for years.

Get this free plugin http://www.voxengo.com/product/recorder/ and insert it, as an insert, on the main audio master track in Cubase's mixer. It records everything going through the channel in real time, and you can choose a variety of recording rates in .wav format.

It's a real life-saver and it works. BUT it cannot automatically record in sync with Cubase. You have to click start on the plug, then hit play in Cubase. Then your mix will be recorded. Don't forget to hit stop on the plug when your song comes to an end. You will have to trim the top and tail of the .wav in an audio editor, etc.

G'luck

Quote Originally Posted by Not Dudley Simpson View Post

Gigastudio will NOT render properly in Cubase using rewire.
    How so? What "symptoms" do/did you experience?

I've never had any trouble rendering GS3 or GS4 in Cubase (SX3).

The only constraint I've experienced is that Cubase must be configured to render in "real time."

— alanb

http://alanb.org

http://www.myspace.com/arsperspicuus

Hi alanb

I had drop outs and some stuttering when rendering if the GS3 track in Cubase had continuous controller data such as xfades and sustain pedal. Also, the VSL performance tool would create even greater problems. This would all happen whether the real time render option was used or not.

Having said all that, the above problems were encountered on my older P4. I am now using a powerful quad core. But I haven't tried to real-time render on it because I've actually stopped using GS3 completely (except as an editor). I can only ever load GS3 with 5% on my quad core using the default XP allocations before I get the "unknown problem" warning box, or BSOD !!! I have tried ALL of the memory tweaks, including the Mattius (spelling?) tweaks, and it improves to 13% BUT at the cost of system stability and memory problems with other sample-players.

Of course, if you have any tips about the above problems, then please, please post them here!

Tascam should have ditched the problematic kernel programming, and ported GS3 over to vsti properly years ago. They'd probably be still in business. GVI works fine, but it doesn't have the features and sheer style of GS3. Ahh well...

Thanks for the reply NotDudleyS,

I'll try your solution if all else fails, and I appreciate your taking the time to lay out your method. Alan, I wasn't aware that Cubase had a realtime rendering option, can you explain where to find that option? Then again, I've got Cubase Essential 4, and it may not have that feature.

I agree about the kernal level stuff in Gigastudio being finicky, I just don't know if the programming and editing flexibility would be there if not for that, my knowledge is limited in that area.

I DO know that after installing Cubase and GS3 on a brand new system all I'd get was BSOD's over and over again every time I started Cubase up, either standalone, or from within GS3. The only way Cubase would run was if I disabled msg32.exe at startup, but then the GS audio engine was disabled.

Once I got the latest updates for both programs, they worked ok as long as I followed rewire startup steps to the letter. Any deviation and GS3 froze up the computer.

I think of Gigastudio as similar to the 12 cylinder Jaguar which a mechanic I knew had to work on constantly (his son's car), adjusting the valves almost every week- a great machine when it worked. Just like Giga.

NotDudley,

What are you using instead of GS? Have you successfully ported over your samples to another application?

Quote Originally Posted by michael88s View Post
    NotDudley,

What are you using instead of GS? Have you successfully ported over your samples to another application?

I run GVI 3 which is the vsti, dongled, version of Gigastudio. It doesn't have all of the the editing functions of GS3, or any inbuilt reverb/fx. It's a simple dedicated player for Gigastudio instruments, so there's no need to port anything. It's kinda boring really, and not especially pretty to look at, but it's easy to use, rock-solid stable and runs perfectly with Cubase. I've never had a single crash with it. As a registered GS3 owner, you might be eligible for a lower crossgrade price on it IF it's still available anywhere. Actually, you might get it even cheaper now that the Giga line has tanked. Shop around.

Otherwise, Kontakt will import Giga sample libraries and most others too. It converts them into its own format. Kontakt is a VERY full featured sampler, with masses of editing options. Too many for my liking. I think its GUI is very cluttered and dog-ugly. But it's still very popular and will probably be around for quite a while.

Voila!

Thanks for that, good info there.

Thanks NotDudley, I'll check it out!

Just one more thing. GVI 3 will render in both fast and real time without problems because, like Kontakt, it's a proper vsti, and so doesn't need rewire or operate at the dreaded kernel level. The only problem is that I couldn't get it to work with VSL's Performance Tool. I tried numerous routing work-arounds posted on the net. They didn't work for me!

So I moved over to VSL's new-ish and rather elegant VI plug which does everything within Cubase without any bull. A costly option but worth it... I think...

Cheers and luck to all.

Go Back to forum