• Register
  • Help

Topic: Swinging Prelude

Share/Bookmark

Swinging Prelude

This is a short piece for electric guitar, electric bass, clarinet and trombone that grew from a simple pattern for the guitars. The overall structure is ABAB with the tonal centre for the A section D major, the B section is in A minor. The trombone and clarinet are GPO, the guitars from Finale although I see the next upgrade will give me GPO guitars - I spent this month's computer budget on some hardware fixes.

The mp3 is here

It is just for entertainment with no special meaning, mathematical or otherwise.

Herb

Re: Swinging Prelude

Herb

This seems like quite a departure from what I am used to hearing from you. Very tonally centered and the piece flows well from section to section. Not to say that that didn't happen in your older pieces, just in a different manner.

I didn't know that Finale was getting Gary's guitars. I am sure those with Finale will like that.

Well done

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer View Post
    This seems like quite a departure from what I am used to hearing from you. Very tonally centered and the piece flows well from section to section. Not to say that that didn't happen in your older pieces, just in a different manner.

I didn't know that Finale was getting Gary's guitars. I am sure those with Finale will like that.
    Ron,

Yes, it is more tonal than some with the chromatic notes mainly off the beat in the clarinet part and nothing modern in the harmony. Well, I have many older tonal pieces that haven't made it to any music site so really my more atonal ventures are a recent development as I try to expand my horizons.

One advantage of tonal is the major/minor change which provides some contrast with a good flow as it is easily recognized. A change in atonal harmony will probably be heard as a contrast with less flow.

Finale do make their upgrades more tempting by offering a few more GPO snacks.

Thanks for listening.

Herb

Well done job on this straightforward ABAB, Herb.

But I couldn't avoid a chuckle. They say one cannot
    escape one's natural style... and the use of chromaticism
    in this keeps skirting gracefully around the edges of
    the aleatoric.

The non-tonal realm may be a recent development for
    you, as you say -- but it's probably your natural voice,
    that's been trying to assert itself all along.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux View Post
    But I couldn't avoid a chuckle. They say one cannot
    escape one's natural style... and the use of chromaticism
    in this keeps skirting gracefully around the edges of
    the aleatoric.

The non-tonal realm may be a recent development for
    you, as you say -- but it's probably your natural voice,
    that's been trying to assert itself all along.
    David,

I'm not sure what my natural style is - but you are likely correct that one can't escape it. "skirting gracefully around the edges of the aleotoric" yes, I think you may have hit the nail on the head there.

Thanks for listening and commenting.

Herb

Euler:
    This is a short piece for electric guitar, electric bass, clarinet and trombone
    I am not familiar with your past works but if I read what the others wrote, this is a new area for you and you are to be commended for your venture into the world of jazz. Your instruments, scoring and overall plan illustrate your muscianship, but your "jazz style" is wanting. It is very difficult to write in a style that you are not familiar with or that is not "in your ears," which explains why I do not attempt to write C&W or Rock music. You can remedy this very easily by listening to and studying the jazz players and masters, old and new. I hope you will continue your endeavors in the "jazz world" as we need more compatriots. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions. I am certainly no world class expert but have taught and played enough jazz to be well grounded in the basics.
    Write on!
    sosmus

Quote Originally Posted by sosmus View Post
    Euler:
    I am not familiar with your past works but if I read what the others wrote, this is a new area for you and you are to be commended for your venture into the world of jazz. Your instruments, scoring and overall plan illustrate your muscianship, but your "jazz style" is wanting. It is very difficult to write in a style that you are not familiar with or that is not "in your ears," which explains why I do not attempt to write C&W or Rock music. You can remedy this very easily by listening to and studying the jazz players and masters, old and new. I hope you will continue your endeavors in the "jazz world" as we need more compatriots. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions. I am certainly no world class expert but have taught and played enough jazz to be well grounded in the basics.
    Thanks for your encouraging words. I have been thinking of where to go musically and, while some may aspire to symphonic works, I feel more at home with small ensembles which seem well suited to my ideas - at least at the moment. My more recent compositions before this one have been chamber music "living on the border" of atonalism but jazz is an alternative for small ensembles.

I agree that my "jazz style" is wanting. I'm not sure why I hadn't considered jazz before but it seems worth my taking a serious look at it now. Let me do some research on my own first and then I may take you up on your very kind offer of assistance.

Herb

Go Back to forum