• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Solitude at Sea

Share/Bookmark

Solitude at Sea

Here is another Piano/Orchestra Piece I did this time with only the white keys. I think the title says it all.

It is GPO and a couple of others.

Here it is
    http://www.box.net/shared/yk8beiuos4

Thanks

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Re: Solitude at Sea

Ron,

Yippi, I get to actually be the first one to post a response to a new piece on this forum--I'm usually Jonny come lately in responses.

Really liked this piece!! Your over all concept, the integrity and consistency of the line is superb throughout..nice build. A really homogeneous mixing of orchestration to support it--wonderful to the ears.

This piece's congent soul is definitely not Black and White...perhaps all White!

Cass

Cass

I think that most people read what a composer writes about his music in these threads and many will even read the first or second response. So it always is nice to get in there in front of everyone else.

Very kind words and I thank you for them.

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Ron,

I heard an earlier version of this which was good - but this one is just that little bit smoother and more cohesive. Good worK! The interplay between the long line of woodwinds and strings and the ripples of the piano is very effective.

A most appropriate title. The mood is very contemplative with a touch of wistfulness. It reminds me of being on a ferry outside leaning on the railing in the fresh coolness, watching the wake, the little sailboats and the gulls.

Great to see you exploring some quiet possibilities and creating yet another very enjoyable composition.

Herb

Ron,
    you already know that I always have some difficulty with most of your pieces. This one also, admitting that it sounds interesting enough to "sit" it out to the very end. Some day I will see the structure and beauty of it, be patient with me. Personally I would have put another piano score under those wonderful symphonic phrases. .... it starts over again, now, and still I didn't kill that BoxNet player.....yes, I am learning (hahaha).

All the best,

Raymond

Hi Ron,

I really, really like this quasi-improvisational piano-over-orchestral-soundscape thing you have going. The mood it evokes lends itself to any number of visual imageries. This is rife with your usual creative flair and wonderful orchestral textures.

That orchestral underpinning below the piano is so interesting and compositionally independent and robust, in fact, I wonder what this would sound like as more of a piano/orchestra dialogue. It would mean less piano in there, but I think there's some really cool things happening orchestrally that deserve their own voice in the conversation.

That's more of an observation than suggestion, though; this is another top-notch work all the way around -- compositionally and rendering. Your usual great stuff, Ron!

Danny

Hi Ron,

I too like this. I have a bit of trouble with the piano being so much in the foreground. A bit loud to balance with the rest of the orchestra. The end seems a bit abrupt. Where were you going with this? It is a nice ambience piece, but has very little direction. As for the rnedering, very nice (well, except or the foreground piano).

I did like listening to this though, Thanks

Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Ron:
    Intriguing. You've added to the argument that we haven't yet exhausted all the possibilities of "C Major." I think you've also hit on a new concept: Maximum Minimalism. You've gotten a tremendous amount of music out of only seven different pitches. How do you come up with these fascinating ideas?
    Great writing!

Steve

Ron,

Very different work, interesting, complex. Too bad they left the black keys off your piano I am glad that my GPO piano came with them!

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Ron,

I'm on my third listen as I write.

A very nice mood here, free and with a sense of restrained abandon. I like the two-pole feel of the orchestra and piano, each in its own space, but always finding interesting ways to intersect and play together.

From an imagery standpoint, I envision the orchestra is the sea and the piano is faces it in "solitude," as if it is being blown by the winds over the beach, and looking out over the horizon in peace and awe. This is reinforced for me by the interaction between the two elements... the way I hear it is that the piano is "pushed" and reacts to the orchestra, but the opposite does not appear to be in place... much as the sea marks its impression on an observer, but does not change its behavior due to being observed.

Don't know if I am taking the analogy too far, but it's pleasing to me to think of in this way.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast