• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: New Wind Ensemble Piece

New Wind Ensemble Piece

Hello everyone,

It's been an extremely long time since I have been on this forum. I've been busy moving, finding a new job and writing my rear end off. In the past few months, I've written scores for two short films, a couple orchestra tunes and this wind ensemble piece.

As some of you may remember, in May, I was commisioned by the Sigma Chapter of Kappa Kappa Psi at Ohio Northern University (which I happen to be a graduate and alumni of) to compose a piece for wind ensmble in memory of the late chair of the department and his wife.

So, here it is. I wrote, orchestrated and arranged this piece in about three weeks. It runs about 13 minutes.

The file itself is quite (so turn up your speakers) and not completely mixed.

This will be performed in January and I've been asked to conduct the premiere.

I would love to hear your impressions and thoughts. At this point, the tune is done (unless something major comes up) as I am out of time and have to move onto another project.

Anyway, here's the link: HERE

I haven't decided on a name yet. I'm open for any suggestions.

Have a good night.
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Re: New Wind Ensemble Piece

This is quiet good. Sorry I had to say that. To understand, read your post when you said it was quiet.

You must be thrilled to get to show off your work and get to conduct it.

Very well done

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

Good things first - well rendered, well conceived and thought out, I like the use of piano and would suggest a more upbeat piano idiom. I love your use of bells, almost Copelandesque. Flute and clarinet work exceptionally well and wonderful usage of bass clarinet. Overall excellent usage of percussion. Nice andante section, perhaps slightly slower. Very nice march, that must have taken some planning! The piece is overall masterly done and those experiencing it will be gratified.

Other things - the choir is distracting, sometimes the doubling could be avoided with larger chord structure. The phrasing is overall logical, but I would appreciate more dramatic idiomatic changes. Revisiting the initial clarinet and flute theme might be better done with a different instrument choir. It becomes repetitious. The ending seemed to fail in really ending the piece.

As to a title suggestion - Experiences of the Ages.

Thanks for posting and best wishes,

I second the remarks Taylor made. The title is distracting: Wind ensemble. I thought of some "solely" wind instruments. Besides that, a very nice piece. Add a little variation to the flutes at about 4.45, let him play the stars from heaven.

Hey guys,

Thanks for listening and the comments.

I like the title, Taylor. I may use that if you don't mind.

As far as the choir, it's not actually going to be a choir. It's the ensemble themselves and they will be humming or soft ooo-ing. I agree that they are distracting, but I didn't have my Symphonic Choirs library setup so I just used the choir that came with Sibelius 5.

I'm also not entirely happy with the ending. I sat with that for quite a while trying to figure out how to end it the way I wanted to. At this point, however, I'm calling it done because I have to many other projects to work on. I'll probably re-visit this in a few months, but for the initial performance, unless I get an awesome spark of intuition, this tune is done. I hate having to compromise with myself, but I spent enough time on it.

Thanks for taking the time to check this out.

Have a good night, my friends.

Off to bed!!!!

Jonny (I'm so tired, I can't find the bedroom) Lost
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Penfield (Rochester), NY

I very much enjoyed your composition. It is well conceived and developed, pleasing to listen to and nicely scored to fit the themes throughout. Thanks for bringing it to the forum.

P.S. the link to your site, www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html , seems to be invalid.

Great to see you back in town, Jonny -- and congratulations
    on the upcoming performance, as well as the apparent
    abundance of new creative endeavor.

Golden work in this piece, my friend... you had me, one
    end to the other. The wind writing in this is superb...
    and I loved the drama in it, the pull backs, that piano
    left out there naked... in short, the contrasts.

Well done!

My best,

David Sosnowski

Shelton, Washington State

I think this is a good tribute piece. Somewhat uplifting and introspective.

I noticed some female choir at the beginning and end but their absence in the performance won't be missed and would be sort of awkward as they wait to sing a few bars again towards the end. But they do give it an angel effect which would be comforting to those left behind.

It's difficult to write a good WW ensemble piece, but I think you
    succeeded with this one.

I liked the solo parts, the added percussion, the changing tempi,
    and just about everything about the composition.

I wish you well with its debut under your baton.

BRAVO, Johnny

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Dallas, Texas

It's the salad days for Johnny Lost,

How about "Written on the Wind" ?

Best to you,
    tony h
    tony h
    Master Comp. P5 deluxe intel dual core, Windows XP Pro, 4G ram, HD's=OS Audio, two samples, Cubase 3/4 , GVI Kirk Hunter Concert strings, KH Concert brass, Emerald, Miroslav strings, brass, Quantum Leap brass. DAW and Master comp by pcaudiolabs- Slave Comp for VI only, Gigabyte Intel ,8G ram, ethernet, Windows Vista Ultimatex64, VI Ensemble,VI SE Appasionata strings.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast