• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT - You recording wizards!

Share/Bookmark

Question OT - You recording wizards!

I have a question concerning recording acoustic guitar either direct or using a mic.

In my recent project the dominant instrument so far is the acoustic guitar played live and may join it with JABB guitar if I can get things running up to par.

Quite simply, squeaks. The squeaky sound your fingers make when changing chords quickly. I don't mind them too much until it gets obsessive and they overshadow the music and that's all you seem to notice.
    I agree it mostly remains within the technique of the guitarist however, some times it seems to be unavoidable.

Here's the question; How do you deal with the problem of "squeaking" guitar in your recordings? Am I correct in assuming one can quiet squeaks down but only to a certain extent? Is there a way to isolate the frequencies and cancel them out? Did Charles Lindberg really eat a chicken sandwich while crossing the ocean? Will Debby ever get the man she wants? Find out in the next episode of "The Edge Of Wetness".

Very curious to hear some of your insight, comments, and concerns.

AND DON'T SAY "OIL THE STRINGS"!
    Styxx

Re: OT - You recording wizards!

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx

How do you deal with the problem of "squeaking" guitar in your recordings?
    OH YES, I AM THE MIGHT WIZARD OF TRICKS ha ha ha ha
    I know exactly what you are talking about ,, sometimes it seems the squeaks are more important than the music. That's when it was recorded by someone who either doesn't hear it, or someone who does not know what to do about it.

Am I correct in assuming one can quiet squeaks down but only to a certain extent?
    yes

Is there a way to isolate the frequencies and cancel them out?
    yes, use a de-esser and set the frequency to the squeak's pitch. You need a really good de-esser to do this though.

Did Charles Lindberg really eat a chicken sandwich while crossing the ocean?
    yes

Will Debby ever get the man she wants?
    no, she will just grab anyone and change them into the man she wants. GRAB EM!

Very curious to hear some of your insight, comments, and concerns.

OK I won't

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx View Post
    Actually, that's exactly what I do. I use "Fast Fret":

http://www.musicroom.com/se/ID_No/021199/details.html

If that's not enough, some kind of spectral editor do the trick. I use Spectro:

http://www.stillwellaudio.com/?page_id=32
    Best Regards,
    Ernie

Here's the question; How do you deal with the problem of "squeaking" guitar in your recordings? Am I correct in assuming one can quiet squeaks down but only to a certain extent? Is there a way to isolate the frequencies and cancel them out? Did Charles Lindberg really eat a chicken sandwich while crossing the ocean?
    1) Use tape wound strings instead of wire wound strings, Rotosound do a set of TOPTAPE Jazz Guitar strings 12,16,24,32,42 and 52 gauge

2) Eat roast chicken with your fingers before playing (lots of gravy), don't fly whilst doing this

3) polish the ends of your fingers, if you've still got fingerprints you're not practising enough, thats why you squeak - 3 hours a day for five years should do.

4) use a pickup, record direct and live at the same time, mix up to reduce the squeak.

5) buy a strat.
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

Larry Carlton is a fantastic guitar player. But one of his albums "Alone, But Never Alone" was horribly distracting due to string squeak. I usually find this happens when I put on brand new strings. The advice above sounds really good--not sure I can add anything. The mic position will also lessen this unwanted artifact. If you place the mic toward the front of the body and face it back toward the sound hole, the cardioid pattern will put the fretting in the low sensitivity area.

As for the rest, from Wiki...

"The Edge of Wetness", Johnny Carson would read humorous plot summaries of a fictional soap opera (such as The Edge of Night) while the camera panned the audience, stopping on an unsuspecting audience member who Carson claimed was, for example, the butler from the soap.
    Garritan on GarageBand '08 using Intel iMac with 1.5G RAM
    Listen to my collection here

Quote Originally Posted by Ernstinen View Post
    Styxx,
    Personally, as long as you keep 'em to a minimum, a few guitar squeaks make the recording more warm and "human." Cripes, nobody's perfect!
    Yeah, I think they add a lot to the music if used in moderation. If the guitarist's technique is good, then it will show in the music, regardless of squeaks.

All good advice. Sounds as if I need to go back and record the guitar tracks over using different mic placement.

Liver and Loin said the Butcher.
    Styxx

Go Back to forum