• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Garritan General Midi GEM

Share/Bookmark

Garritan General Midi GEM

Is the Garritan GEM coming out soon? Any info, demos, etc on it?

Re: Garritan General Midi GEM

A while ago, Gary seemed to be debating whether to release GEM with Kontakt Player 2 or to hold off and port it to ARIA. At this point, I imagine it is being ported to ARIA.

Quote Originally Posted by brooster View Post
    Is the Garritan GEM coming out soon? Any info, demos, etc on it?
    Hello Brooster,

Henry is absolutely correct. In the Updates to the Updates section Gary explained that they decided to port to ARIA hence the delay.

I think there are a good few of us looking forward to this one.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

I was wanting to use it in Band in a Box.
    There hasn't been much happening in the General Midi soundset world.

Band in a Box has a new program called RealBand. It's been out less than a week. Very Interesting.

bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_uk View Post
    Hello Brooster,

Henry is absolutely correct. In the Updates to the Updates section Gary explained that they decided to port to ARIA hence the delay.
    Right, we are porting it to ARIA. But before then we will come out with a GM Refill for Reason (which is in beta).

If anyone has General MIDI files they would like rended in the new GM library, please let me know.

thanks

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan View Post
    Right, we are porting it to ARIA. But before then we will come out with a GM Refill for Reason (which is in beta).

If anyone has General MIDI files they would like rended in the new GM library, please let me know.

thanks

Gary
    It's now 2 years later GM Refill is out, what's about the GM set for Aria Player? I simply would like to use Garritan/Aria as GM Player through VSTi or standalone to Loopback Midi from various Sequencer programs (mostly Cubase 5 for editing and Midi Maestro for Liver performance).
    .. or is there a way to create my own GM set with Garritan/Aria?
    Thanks, Thomas

Please, excuse my ignorance but, what exactly is Garritan General Midi GEM?.

This thread is two years old and yet, tis the first i have come across this phrase.

Please, enlighten me.

Scar.

Last I heard, GEM was put so far away on the back-burner that it can't be seen anymore. It's not lined up for Aria testing yet - it could be a permanently shelved project as far as I know.

Scar - the concept of GEM was for it to be a Garritan produced library for General MIDI. You may know that GM has a strict specification, with each instrument being assigned a specific number. The concept is that MIDI files using the GM spec, and that's most of them, can be played on any GM synth and play the correct instruments. MIDI files are made universally compatible that way. It's a fine thing but of very limited use, and more for general public consumption than for musicians and composers.

Randy

Wink Re: Garritan General Midi GEM

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Last I heard, GEM was put so far away on the back-burner that it can't be seen anymore. It's not lined up for Aria testing yet - it could be a permanently shelved project as far as I know.

Scar - the concept of GEM was for it to be a Garritan produced library for General MIDI. You may know that GM has a strict specification, with each instrument being assigned a specific number. The concept is that MIDI files using the GM spec, and that's most of them, can be played on any GM synth and play the correct instruments. MIDI files are made universally compatible that way. It's a fine thing but of very limited use, and more for general public consumption than for musicians and composers.

Randy
    Concerning "... General MIDI ... more for public consumption than for musicians and composers... " I'm aware this is a common mind set but from a commercial point of view it's completely not understandable that musicians and composers would not profit from GM compliance.
    My vision was always to have a MIDI File which plays basically on a simple GM Player but has addtional controls which are not recognized from a Standard GM Player to drive different high quality articulations when directing the same MIDI file to my preferred Sampler which make then use of the additional controls. So there is much more reuse of the time consuming work to create good MIDI Music and therefore more returns specially for professionals.
    However Sibelius, Finale Sony Avid Pro have done exactly this with their customized Garritan implementations. I'm just looking for the same without depending on another third party product, just as VSTi able to be integrated in any sequencer - in my case MIDI Maestro.
    Regards, THomas

Hi, Thomas - Thanks for the post.

General MIDI can be of much use to musicians, pro and amateur alike. I meant to just be pointing out that the main use of GM is by consumers. Computers come with a set of GM sounds and that makes it convenient for the average person to hear various MIDI files they find online.

As musicians, we always enjoy having more sounds and instruments in our arsenal. So it's nice to have a set or two, or three of the GM instruments/sounds. The basic instruments of an orchestra are included, piano is in the #1 slot, and there are drum sets and things, along with a standardized set of sound effects (like a Gun shot--of all things!)--

But all of those instruments in a GM module are ones that most musicians are likely to have well covered already in their various instrument libraries. That's why I feel it was never a big, exciting prospect to have a Garritan GM library. It would be nice, but of more interest to the more casual musical hobbyist.

MIDI files themselves have to remain universal and generic in order for them to translate properly. Someone at the Sonar Forum was recently saying they wish audio tracks all set up for Sonar could be included in MIDI files - but that's exactly the sort of thing that isn't possible. As soon as proprietary elements like that are introduced, then the MIDI file has to become a program specific file type, like Sonar's .cwp files.

Randy B.

Go Back to forum