• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: New Seagate 7200-10 crash my PC

Share/Bookmark

GS3 and New Seagate 7200-10 crash my PC

Hi ,
    I spend fifteen days for try to run Gs3 on new perpendicular hight capacity hard drive .
    I use them before for samples in second drive without problems .So I decided to install my system on a similar model .
    Six years I use Gs3 on livestage , no problems , and now I cannot start my gs3 9 time to 10 . . . initialisation freeze system .
    it's possible to run only if I disable "Hardware" and I must start again .
    I tried to change everything , material en Os .
    Next try I would come back in fat32 for test !
    and next time I buy all old Harddrive on Ebay !
    Someone can help me , or tell me about same problems ?
    thanks

Re: New Seagate 7200-10 crash my PC

It is possible that the Hard drive could be defective. It does happen from time to time. Sometimes hard drives get bumped around in shipping more than they can handle and they get delivered with internal ball bearing damage.

The fact that it is a perpendicular high capacity hard drive would not have any bearing on whether GS3 could use it or not. It does not work that way.

There is most likely something else wrong.

good luck with it.
    Regards,
    Brian W. Ralston

Check out my new FREE iPhone App! Click Here!

Thanks for your answer
    after many over tests I think that quick data transfert from new hard drive decrease stability of my old ich5 mother board .But now it's ok and I want share my experience :
    I win more stability when in original installation of Gs3 3.01 I stick "debug " in troubleshoot page .you see that only in first version .
    After I upgrade 3.21 but the "debug page " stay in system setting.
    In this page I stick "always run engine at hardware rate "
    result : many more start of gs3 are success .

One other thinks , when gs3 freeze my pc , a wrong file was create in "component folder" and for gs3 start again , i must destroy this file.
    it's similar to know problem with db folder .

For resume , every thing I make for increase stability ( often untweak my pc ) is good for gs3 starting on fast hard drive . . .

P4 3,4G / 2,5G ram /P4P800 X /Echo MIAMIDI

I confirm definitively , I have changed Seagate with Western Caviar SE16 - 320 Go for system and I retrive total stability for Gs3 starting . . . ( but it's little more nosely ) .
    Next I want to test ssd hard drive technology for my samples drive . . .
    If I read about , it's should be perfect ? ? ?

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...oc.aspx?i=3403

Life expectancy is estimated at 2 .5 years.

I replaced my 36GB Raptors after 3 years even though they worked fine. Went to 74GB Raptors and now I have 2 x 150GB Raptors and 2 x 74 GB Raptors.

Enterprize drives from Western Digital are great for Gigastudio and DFD, I use both, these apps. really beat up on HHD's, They will probably destroy SSD's.

I would like to see extended life cycles, or cheap / disposable prices like our throw away controllers they build now.
    JimmyV

I have problem with my system hard drive because I want keep IDE interface .
    But I use one Western Digital Raptor 74 for samples .It work very fine with big pianos .
    But I look ssd for try to win little beat polyphonie .For test, I must receive in few day's a "Super Talent mlc" very cheap , poor for recording , only 40MB speed but quick for read 115MB and acces . ..0,1ms .
    Life cycles certainly is very bad , but for a certain utilisation , like me , (I record only one time my samples ) ,and read alway's , seems do not affect life time . . . ?
    But it's not a correct hard drive . . . I read you loose performance after same records and small files have very long transfert . . . cannot use for "C" !
    Slc technologie is the best but price is not competitive . . .

This is slightly off topic, but still pertains. I just purchased a new Seagate 750 Gig hard drive and when I set it up with my Mac it only shows 700 Gig available. Now I can understand losing some space for system stuff, but 50 Gig???

Should I be returning this drive??

Peace

rikp

Quote Originally Posted by rikp View Post
    This is slightly off topic, but still pertains. I just purchased a new Seagate 750 Gig hard drive and when I set it up with my Mac it only shows 700 Gig available. Now I can understand losing some space for system stuff, but 50 Gig???

Should I be returning this drive??

Peace

rikp
    There is nothing wrong with the drive. You are not losing space.

The difference is in how drive manufacturers define and label their drives storage capacity. They define a Megabyte as being 1000 Bytes for simplicity sake to the consumer. But in the computer world...this is not the case... Everything is a factor of 1024Bytes per Megabyte. Similar to how RAM is in factors of 4. 128BM, 256MB, 512MB, 1024MB, etc...

Basically...it is more complicated than that...but what you are seeing is unfortunately normal and the complaint is not targeted at MAC or Windows or anyone else but the drive manufacturers themselves and how they decide to market the space on their drives. They all do it by the way.
    Regards,
    Brian W. Ralston

Check out my new FREE iPhone App! Click Here!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W. Ralston View Post
    There is nothing wrong with the drive. You are not losing space.

The difference is in how drive manufacturers define and label their drives storage capacity. They define a Megabyte as being 1000 Bytes for simplicity sake to the consumer. But in the computer world...this is not the case... Everything is a factor of 1024Bytes per Megabyte. Similar to how RAM is in factors of 4. 128BM, 256MB, 512MB, 1024MB, etc...

Basically...it is more complicated than that...but what you are seeing is unfortunately normal and the complaint is not targeted at MAC or Windows or anyone else but the drive manufacturers themselves and how they decide to market the space on their drives. They all do it by the way.
    Thanks Brian!

So much for truth in advertising!!!

Peace

rikp

Note that if something just says KB (kilobyte), MB (megabyte) or GB (gigabyte) you can never be sure if it's 1000 (power-of-ten) or 1024 (power-of-two) bytes per kilobyte, 1000 or 1024 kilobytes per megabyte etc.

That's the reason for KiB (kibibyte), MiB (mibibyte) and GiB (gibbibyte) being established by the International Electrotechnical Commission, to always mean the power-of-two.

So a rule of thumb is to have low expectations and always read GB as the power-of-ten measure. Unless GiB is used you don't really know what is intended.
    Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, LinuxSampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland JX-10, 4GB RAM Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2160 @ 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux 64 bit

Go Back to forum